Walk Walk walk

Options
Go walking everyday! The benefits are amazing!!

Replies

• YuMin1
    YuMin1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The easiest cardio for me!
  • journey2ahealthierme
    Options
    I love it too. I walk first thing (still dark at the mo) with my dog, then I've just started a lunchtime walk. It gets me away from my desk, and I've found a somewhat muddy route that takes me alongside the river behind my work place, around the industrial estate and back in a half hour round. Perfect! Really easy way to get some breathing space, some vitamin D and burn a few calories whilst I'm at it (I walk as quickly as the hilly, muddy ground allows).
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Walking is brilliant, we evolved to walk long distances and it's something that you can do 7 days a week, 365 days a year and it requires nothing more than a comfortable pair of shoes and weather appropriate clothing. Pretty much the only days I don't walk between 5 and 10km (with my dogs) is if there's freezing rain or some other really nasty weather.

Having said that though walking (or any other cardio exercise) should be supplemented with at least some strength training. Both men and women lose lean muscle mass as we age which can lead to other health & mobility issues in what should be our "golden years" (I hate that phrase). You don't need to do a lot and you don't need to be able to bench press a school bus but numerous studies have shown that even modest amounts of strength training can have very significant health benefits.

https://nytimes.com/2019/03/20/well/move/lifting-weights-exercise-older-aging-muscles-psychology.html#:~:text=But%20older%20people%20who%20lift,mental%20sharpness%20and%20metabolic%20health.
  • SOIJ20
    SOIJ20 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I agree with this 100%, I used to do coastal walks at least once a week and used to walk everyday after work in the summer and do about 5-6miles a day. Got to my fittest level ever in just a matter of about 4/5 months.
  • the_real_me_lissa
    the_real_me_lissa Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Walking is definitely underrated, but I feel liked it’s one of the best forms of exercise; if not- the best!! Most anyone can walk no matter their physical limitations; it’s easy on your joints, & can be completed anywhere!
  • Moijo02022
    Moijo02022 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    That is my main problem I used to walk everywhere every day.. now rarely leave the house or jump in the car when I do 🥴
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Love this! I just started walking again and am loving it! We've had some lifestyle changes and I just got out of the habit and routine! It's so good!! I hope I can keep with it. I'm trying to get back to weight lifting too, but will not be as intense with it as I was 5 years ago. But walking I can do often! :)
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I walk to and from the gym every morning. It's my warm up. By the time I get to the gym I'm ready for a run on the treadmill
  • CMac06820
    CMac06820 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My trainer got me back on MFP so here's my spin.... Before I was in the gym meaning I signed back up In late Sept/Oct... I was walking and by walking I was walking 5-6 days a week .... I built myself up so I am doing a 5k a day. In past years I'd end up injuring myself. Now its about pacing myself and listening to my body... I never thought I'd see 250 again and I'm just about there.... My trainer is sooo thrilled with what I'm doing and I am too ... Walking is the best exercise physically and mentally for you ...
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Randomly stumbled upon this paper & thought this may be a good place to share :)

Give Your Ideas Some Legs: The Positive Effect of Walking on Creative Thinking
    https://www.apa.org/pubs/journals/releases/xlm-a0036577.pdf
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I love walking. I just need to invest in some new shoes that I'm not afraid to get dirty in the snow! :tongue:
  • ADC0809
    ADC0809 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love walking and would contribute that to a good part of my previous weight loss. Now I am recently recovered from a weak muscle in my right knee and after a consistent regiment of physical therapy I am getting back to it. Late 2020 I purchased a treadmill that was going mostly unused and now I am loving using it. I wish I had the motivation to just go out and walk like I used and I at least hope to increase my walking now that it has cooled down.
  • putotherpeoplefirst
    Options
    Love bush walking as it is very peaceful and relaxing and good for weight and health.
  • rosiekin
    rosiekin Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I started walking during UK lockdown, and haven’t stopped. Despite already being at my goal weight, I lost a further stone+ because I didn’t up my calorie intake to compensate for the extra activity I was doing. During my weight loss journey, I had never eaten back exercise calories (mind you, I didn't actually do much exercise), so hadn’t fully appreciated the consequences regular exercise has on weight loss. With my clothes on, everyone thinks I’m like a whippet, but although I’ve definitely toned up, without clothes, there’s still plenty of evidence of my 7 stone+ weight loss 🙈!
    For anyone out there thinking about starting walking as a means of exercise, I’d definitely say that they should give it a try. However, if you’re looking for a walking buddy, try to get one who walks at a similar pace. I’m known in my neighbourhood as the fast walker, and it makes me chuckle every time someone comments… which they do regularly 🤣.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,081 Member
    Options
    Walking is also very easy to scale up in intensity. You can walk faster, or for longer...or uphill. Walking up hills, or setting a treadmill at an incline, can rapidly escalate the intensity of the walk. When I was young I used to run 5k's for fun at the drop of a hat; these days my knees can no longer handle the jarring from running, but a steep incline uphill walk at a decent pace can still leave me out of breath.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,625 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    kdt237oju99m.jpeg

My daily walk. 2 miles down the trail then down the beach and back up. Ear buds in and all is right in life.
  • putotherpeoplefirst
    Options
    What a fabulous walk tomcustombuilder. Fantastic photo. Enjoy your amazing beach walk!
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    kdt237oju99m.jpeg

My daily walk. 2 miles down the trail then down the beach and back up. Ear buds in and all is right in life.
    Thanks! The best days also include carrying a surfboard down, surfing for an hour then having to walk back up.

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I love to walk, I'm lucky to leave next to the Peak District in the UK
    I hike carry my 7 year old, hoping that counts as lifting for future function reasons 😂
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I live the Peak District. I live on London now, so I don't go there that often these days.
    I was at a loose end yesterday, so I got just over 26 miles in on the South Coast Path.