Got diabetes get off insulin.

Options
I got diabetes two months ago. I want to get off insulin . doc says if i loose about 35 pounds i can do that. anyone on here got off insulin once they started making the right choices?

Replies

• SyreetaJayne1
    Options
    I'm type 1, so I'm told I'll never be off of insulin :sad: , but I have been able to greatly reduce the amount I've taken by changing my diet and exercising.
  • Corby86
    Corby86 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I know of a man who suffered from TypeII diabetes and was on insulin for 45 years. . .his insulin dose had to gradually increase. He simply stopped eating carbohydrates for a while and went off insulin (I'm not saying this is a healthy thing to do, but it was his choice) he now still doesn't use insulin and is able to eat small amounts of carbohydrates without it affecting his blood sugar too much.

I know a lady who was diagnosed TypeII diabetic, on insulin as well - she ate well, exercised and dropped some weight and now doesn't need insulin.

I'd say minimize carbs (not ever a good idea to completely cut out a major food group), make sure that the carbs you do eat are LOW GI (or maybe MEDIUM) but NEVER HIGH. And definately increase your exercise while eating less calories so you can drop some weight. These things all can help to increase your insulin sensitivity again.

As a TypeII diabetic the problem is not that your body doesn't make insulin (it probably makes plenty), the problem is that your cells have become less sensitive to the insulin.

There are a few herbs that also increase insulin sensitivity and others that help to keep blood sugar levels stable. A good herbal remedy (prepared by a professional, working with your doctor) will definately get you off insulin in no time (considering that you are newly diagnosed).

Hope that helps ;) and best of luck to you!
  • bikerb422
    bikerb422 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am type two also. I am on Metformin 2000 a day. Glipizude once a day. Byetta twice a day. And when I started MFP I was taking 80 units of Lantus at night and another 30 in the morning. As of last month, which is about 32 pound lost, my doctor took me off the Lantus. I had been reducing my units myself so I would not go low. But he said I did not need it any more. My numbers now very seldom go over 110 during the day.

Stay with it and you can get off the meds. I hope to get off all my meds by the time I get to goal.

Bruce
  • Corby86
    Options
    I am type two also. I am on Metformin 2000 a day. Glipizude once a day. Byetta twice a day. And when I started MFP I was taking 80 units of Lantus at night and another 30 in the morning. As of last month, which is about 32 pound lost, my doctor took me off the Lantus. I had been reducing my units myself so I would not go low. But he said I did not need it any more. My numbers now very seldom go over 110 during the day.

Stay with it and you can get off the meds. I hope to get off all my meds by the time I get to goal.

Bruce

Wouldn't be surprised if you do get off all the meds Bruce! Good luck!
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm type II, was put on metformin, 1000 mg, twice a day and a daily victoza injection at the highest dose. Three months later I was 26 pounds lighter, the doctor took me off the metformin, reduced the victoza to a medium dose and halved my blood pressure medine. I've now lost 30 pounds (and counting) and my goal is to be taken off all meds when I go back to the doctor at the end of November. My best recommendation to you is to have your doctor refer you to a clinical dietician/nutritionist. Mine helped me figure out what to eat to keep my glucose levels stable.

I'm new to the forums, so welcome. I wish you well in your journey on the path to good health.
  • bikerb422
    bikerb422 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks Corby. Sure hope so.:smile:
  • zwrightsell
    zwrightsell Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    what's the herbal remedy? my doc or endocrinologist haven't mentioned this .
  • Pinky67
    Pinky67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Awesome people like you guys/gals are the reason I want to become a nutritionist with a focus on diabetes. My 10yr old son is type 1 (ie: no jabs = he dies) You are on the right track and are very inspiring to others with type 2 who have accepted diabetes as their lot and have given up, or who are still in denial. I also know people who have halted the progression of type 2 and/or got off meds and insulin, with healthy lifestyle and exercise, and limiting or giving up carbs. They are very courageous and should all be given MEDALS!!! It is possible in most cases, but here (in nz) it is often frowned apon and these brave souls are not understood!!! Not good!!!

I also would like to spread the word one day in a professional capacity the difference between type 1 and 2. The lack of understanding makes my sons life and mine quite difficult to bear...and dangerous too, try telling a teacher at school to give my son juice before exercise so he doesn't go low and conk out....only to find out she didn't think he needed it because diabetics shouldn't have juice...WTF!!! He's even been told by a registered nurse that he shouldn't be eating that muesli bar for afternoon tea, because diabetics shouldn't eat those, very frustrating :grumble:
  • Corby86
    Options
    what's the herbal remedy? my doc or endocrinologist haven't mentioned this .

This needs to be tailored to your extremely specific needs I'm afraid. All aspects of your health & life need to be taken into consideration. As naturopaths we don't treat an illness, we treat the entire person.

Everything has had a role to play in your current health issues, ie. we know your diabetic because you have impaired insulin sensitivity right. . . but we'd ask WHY is the insulin sensitivity impaired (and there could be 100s of reasons). In your case maybe it could be the fact that you gained weight....but then a good naturopath would go even further and ask WHY did that happen? And then we might find a permanent solution, once we get to the root of the problem.