Question for the nurses

Options
Have you or anyone you know completed a BSN bridge program online with the University of Indiana? Tomorrow is my last day of my first nursing program, and after I pass my state boards I want to jump right back into school before I forget how to be a student ;-). I didn't look into it too much at first because it wasn't accredited in Ca, but now it is. I'm very self motivated and would have no problem with the online factor. Do you have any experiences with or personal opinions about the school? Thanks in advance :-)

Replies

• princess4mimi
    Options
    I don't have any knowledge, but I want to BUMP this topic for reference.....
  • ycc1964
    ycc1964 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of this program, however I did complete a bridge, it was the University of Phoenix's program. It was great.
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    What are you in now AD? why can't you keep going to the same school? I have a Diploma, and I retire in 7 years , and the BSN would not increase my pay, so I never finished, although I was a few classes away at a State College back in 1994. I now wished I had finished, but it really has not been a problem. If there was a pay incentive I would complete the course (alot of the classes would be expired now)
  • tonitiger26
    tonitiger26 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Those type of programs that are not through a state college or community college are about 3 times the cost if you want to rack up a lot of student loan debt.... I got my LVN 11 yrs ago, my RN at a community college 7 years ago and my BSN through a state school that was 6 months on line last year. The total cost was less than a full year at a 4 yr college. You may need to take more pre-reqs but it is worth it in the long run so you won't have to get a loan to pay 40,000 vs 7,000.... I did my program through Texas Tech University in Lubbock. It is all online, you only have to go to the school 1 time and it is 6 months long. Being out of state may cost a little more. I paid $7200.
  • tonitiger26
    Options
    Also a lot of states now are requiring BSN to work vs ADN....after I got my LVN I worked in the hospital but you can't even find a job now in a hospital as an LVN/LPN in bigger cities. I have heard this is becoming true for BSN as well...I got mine because I hurt my back last year and can't work on the floor anymore...I am now in case management but I got the BSN incase I decide to go on further for my FNP or something else....do it now because you never know what will happen later.
  • timeforme23
    Options
    The community colleges are too crowded here. I took all my nursing prereqs and found almost everywhere to have a 3 year wait list for the 2 year RN program. I decided to go for LVN so I could finish quicker. My prereqs will expire before I get into a community college bridge, but they will transfer to any private school and save me a ton of money. My goal is to finish with my bachelors in the 3 years I would have spent on a wait list. It may cost me a little more, but I think it will be worth is. Im single with no kids, so I dont mind being a workaholic for a year or two after.

Quite a few hospitals in Ca are only hiring people with BSNs now. Plus, I figure a BSN will help me get off the floor one day. Im sure I wont want to do it forever. Trying to keep my options open.
  • timeforme23
    Options
    Also a lot of states now are requiring BSN to work vs ADN....after I got my LVN I worked in the hospital but you can't even find a job now in a hospital as an LVN/LPN in bigger cities. I have heard this is becoming true for BSN as well...I got mine because I hurt my back last year and can't work on the floor anymore...I am now in case management but I got the BSN incase I decide to go on further for my FNP or something else....do it now because you never know what will happen later.

Exactly. I just want to knock it out. Sorry you hurt your back :-/ but im glad you were able to find a place in case management !
  • ChrisStoney
    Options
    Those type of programs that are not through a state college or community college are about 3 times the cost if you want to rack up a lot of student loan debt.... I got my LVN 11 yrs ago, my RN at a community college 7 years ago and my BSN through a state school that was 6 months on line last year. The total cost was less than a full year at a 4 yr college. You may need to take more pre-reqs but it is worth it in the long run so you won't have to get a loan to pay 40,000 vs 7,000.... I did my program through Texas Tech University in Lubbock. It is all online, you only have to go to the school 1 time and it is 6 months long. Being out of state may cost a little more. I paid $7200.

I paid a grand total of $1,200.00 for my nursing Dipoma RN, including living at the Hospital for 2 years :-) I can't believe some of the new nurses who have have a $60,000.00 student loan debt...

Another option is to look into Government programs like Public Health Service, who will actually pay you to go to school (salary during last year- you need to work for 2 years after)
  • MEMA5
    MEMA5 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    YOU NEED TO GET EXPERIENCES UNDER YOUR BELT, AND SEE WHAT YOU MIGHT LIKE TO GET INTO. I HAVE BEEN A NURSE FOR 30 YEARS AND HAVE AN AAS RN A BS WOULD GET ME AN ADDITIONAL 69 CENTS AN HOUR. YOUR YOUNG THINK ABOUT EXPANDING YOUR HORIZONS, WORK AS A NURSE BUT SEEK OTHER AVENUES TO SECURE YOUR FINANCIAL FUTURE..GOOD LUCK
  • tonitiger26
    Options
    I didn't realize you got your LVN....so is it a bridge to BSN? I did the same thing for my RN...and that's why I did the LVN first because of the wait list...I did a yr long bridge program for my RN too...if you are able to get in and the cost isn't going to be an issue I would do it...I know here in TX almost all facilities will reimburse tuition, most of the time after the semester is over plus you can claim the tuition on your taxes too...and your young with no kids??? Do it girl, I use to work doubles twice a week and go out every weekend lol...couldn't even imagine doing it now that I'm older but you're young lol :)
  • timeforme23
    Options
    Thank you for your advice and suggestions!
  • ChrisStoney
    Options
    YOU NEED TO GET EXPERIENCES UNDER YOUR BELT, AND SEE WHAT YOU MIGHT LIKE TO GET INTO. I HAVE BEEN A NURSE FOR 30 YEARS AND HAVE AN AAS RN A BS WOULD GET ME AN ADDITIONAL 69 CENTS AN HOUR. YOUR YOUNG THINK ABOUT EXPANDING YOUR HORIZONS, WORK AS A NURSE BUT SEEK OTHER AVENUES TO SECURE YOUR FINANCIAL FUTURE..GOOD LUCK

I hear you! I would make zero more, and I make more than the NP's at my facility, because of my pay level and retention allowance. That really pisses some of them off but it is what it is. I can collect my pension, then I might do private duty or work at an agency. I have thought about getting the BSN, but I need to see more of an upside/ reason for it. of course I could stay at my present job, but I'd be loosing the pension for as many years as I stayed....
  • timeforme23
    Options
    Thanks but ive done the research. Still in debate over my final two choices.
  • beach_bum_gurl
    Options
    Online education for nurses who want to further their education is becoming mainstream. Many hospitals will also pay for you to return to school. I finished up my MSN/MHA in January through an online program and the cost was 60% reimbursed by my hospital. I always encourage nurses to further their education. Having a BSN (or beyond) will open up doors in your career!

Best of luck!
  • ChrisStoney
    Options
    Well good luck with your education! Let us know what you decided on.
  • nurseandi
    Options
    I am currently an LPN working towards my RN. I am finishing up some sciences before picking a BSN school to apply to. Salem State Univeristy in Massachusetts( and down the road from my house!) has an excellent nusing prgram and an LPN - BSN track to boot! I have always looked into online nursing programs but was skeptical on them and the cost as well. I knew 2 people that did Excelsior college online and one even turned out to be a director of nursing in a rehab facility. She said it was good becaus she worked full-time but when it came time to clinicals she had to fly or drive to NY a few times. She said the clinicals were VERY tough and the instructors really test you. Out of 5 or 6 in her clinical group, only 2 made it through. yikes!
  • ChrisStoney
    Options
    I am currently an LPN working towards my RN. I am finishing up some sciences before picking a BSN school to apply to. Salem State Univeristy in Massachusetts( and down the road from my house!) has an excellent nusing prgram and an LPN - BSN track to boot! I have always looked into online nursing programs but was skeptical on them and the cost as well. I knew 2 people that did Excelsior college online and one even turned out to be a director of nursing in a rehab facility. She said it was good becaus she worked full-time but when it came time to clinicals she had to fly or drive to NY a few times. She said the clinicals were VERY tough and the instructors really test you. Out of 5 or 6 in her clinical group, only 2 made it through. yikes!

I am from Mass as well!,

I know of a bunch of colleges that do the LPN to RN, Quin Sig in Worcester is one. I know a bunch of people who start the online classes, but no one who finished. Mass is good for education, but is is getting wicked expensive to live here! If I went back I would probably go to RN to BSN program at Fitchburg State. I thought CA had more schools than we do?