McDonalds Issue

Options

Replies

• Bdoosh
    Bdoosh Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    McDonalds is EVIL!!! I refuse to let my son eat there and I stopped eating there after I saw all the weight I was gaining in college from eating their fattening food! I would've told that nurse off and said something along the lines of "well, it's a treat if you want to have little chubby kids who don't want to play outside because the fattening food is making them lazy!"
    You did great!!!:flowerforyou:
  • keondraleke
    keondraleke Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What you're doing is a great thing for your children. i wish i can say no to Taco Bell but it's hard when you work there.
  • brndygrl98
    brndygrl98 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I catch alot of "holier than thou" looks when I tell people that we don't eat at McDonald's. I decided when I had children (now 4 and 2) that they would not grow up on the unhealthy trash that I ate as a child, even as a treat. It is our decision as parents.
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I want a BigMac now! :grumble:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    McDonalds is EVIL!!! I refuse to let my son eat there and I stopped eating there after I saw all the weight I was gaining in college from eating their fattening food! I would've told that nurse off and said something along the lines of "well, it's a treat if you want to have little chubby kids who don't want to play outside because the fattening food is making them lazy!"
    You did great!!!:flowerforyou:

was it McDonalds that made you gain weight or over consumption in general?
  • nannyx6
    nannyx6 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    There are truely so many better ways to reward your children like taking them to a park or a new movie or a small toy but nasty fattening high in saturated fat rewards is just lazy .I do not like judgemental types.
  • lizblizz2012
    lizblizz2012 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I agree that McDonalds is generally not healthy. It is not wrong to teach your children to eat healthy. However, one McDonalds hamburger on occasion will not ultimately ruin a person's health. McDonalds does have healthier choices such as the fruit and walnut salad, yogurt parfait, apple dippers, grilled chicken sandwich, etc. In moderation, McDonalds really isn't that bad. A McChicken from the dollar menu has about 360 calories, which is not outrageous as sandwiches go. The portion sizes of a happy meal are reasonable in my opinion. You can also switch out pop for milk and fries for fruit. I respect your decision to start teaching your children healthy habits at a young age, and you have the right to restrict your children's diet as you see appropriate. I think the lady was just taken aback by your strict "No McDonalds" policy. She most likely thinks it's a bit extreme. I personally do not see any harm in treating yourself to a cheeseburger once in a while as long as you balance your diet. There are worse foods a person can eat than what's at McDonalds. But, they're YOUR kids and you're the one who is responsible for their health. If simply banning McDonalds is the best way to ensure they eat a healthy balanced diet, then you do what you have to do!
  • hufflypuff
    hufflypuff Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Sounds like she was simply saying that everything is okay in moderation. Maybe she got the impression you were strictly telling your kid not to and it was her simple way of warning you that if you never indulge a little and let him have a little of everything that when he grows up and has it out of your care that he may end up liking it and wanting it ever meal. Granted its more likely he would just get sick from it but that may have been the concept she was getting at.
  • Mygypsysoul
    Mygypsysoul Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Frankly, I think you made her feel like she is doing something wrong. No offense intended, but she had just said that she takes her kids there ocassionally as a treat and you replied with, "I don't really see it as a treat as most foods there are really unhealthy." Not trying to take your conversation out of context, but I got a judgemental feeling when I read that statement. People don't have to be preached at to feel judged. I know you weren't judging her, but I think she might have felt that way - hence the stink eye.

Anyways, what you said is totally true. Most of the foods from McDonalds are unhealthy, but I probably would have been more careful with my wording. Try not to dwell on it too much. You are doing what's right for your family and that's all that matters :)
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    No. I think you did EXACTLY right. I think it's a scary trend that eating healthy as a lifestyle should be frowned on by the general population.
    You are exactly right, feeding your children poison is NOT a treat. MY children didn't eat store bought bread until they started school. They thought raisins were candy until their peers taught them differently (on halloween)
    They are adults now, all healthy weight and they all know how to eat a balanced diet of healthy foods. My kids know the difference between 'food' and 'crap'
    You are giving your children a good foundation for LIFE - that woman is poisoning hers for a 'treat'
  • Tiffanydepiano
    Tiffanydepiano Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    MMMMM......Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese........Drool.
    Love those the way the grease squishes out in your mouth when you take a bite. Trouble is, I usually feel sort of sick after eating one and am trying to lose weight now so it's a no go for me.

I know lots of educated people in the medical profession who eat there occasionally and they are not sick or fat.

Sounds like a personal decision and I think the nurse felt you were criticizing her choices as a parent. I get that you didn't want your child to hear that she thought it was okay though.
  • sgha
    sgha Posts: 225
    Options
    You did nothing wrong. She said what she felt, and you had the right to do the same. It bothers me that a professional in that field reacted that way. Even if she didn't agree, she should have kept her negative words and expressions to herself. ( Although, I know from experience that sometimes it is hard to control those expressions. They just pop up out of no where.)

I applaud you for bringing up your kids with a healthy diet. Starting at an early age gives them the best advantage.
  • jtkeaton
    Options
    I think you made a great decision in taking your kids to McDonalds. I've only been on my health path for about 4months. And after losing 59 lbs and making healthier choices, I can feel the differences in how my body reacts to certain foods. I am on no/low carbs & no sugars. And after a while I can tell the difference between a real beef patty and whatever McDonalds is selling/pushing.

I've not eaten at McDonalds in 3 1/2 months and I plan to make it longer. When I drive by a McDonalds and my 3 year old says, "I want to eat there, daddy.", I say that place has 'ucky' food and it's not good for you. As you mentioned, our kids can make their own decisions later in life. However, I want to start her off on the right path so she can make a educated decision later.

Keep it up!
  • k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I think it went well, maybe she uses it as a treat for her kids and found that part offensive. And if that's the case, so be it. McDonalds and other fast food restaurants being unhealthy isn't breaking news.

I agree completely with the not being breaking news part. That is why I usually don't talk about it at all to other people. When I am in a group and people go there, I just say I am going to go to *fill in the blank*. I don't make a big deal about it. I felt I needed to say something to her as my son had responded to her comment the way he did.
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    There are truely so many better ways to reward your children like taking them to a park or a new movie or a small toy but nasty fattening high in saturated fat rewards is just lazy .I do not like judgemental types.

hmmmm...don't like judgemental types, huh?
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    McDonalds and other fast food restaurants being unhealthy isn't breaking news.

I agree with this statement - and everyone has a right to chose how they manage their children's diets. I never like my children to have pizza - unfortunately at every party, gathering, holiday - even at school there it was... didn't work too well for me.
  • toniRAD
    toniRAD Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with you! I wish more parents would teach their children not to eat things like that. It sucks, some kids have no chance because they don't know any better, and by the time they're like 10 they already have health problems. Food like that is addicting & when you start to eat it when you're young you're gonna crave it.
  • jtkeaton
    Options
    Quote: MMMMM......Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese........Drool.
    Love those the way the grease squishes out in your mouth when you take a bite. Trouble is, I usually feel sort of sick after eating one and am trying to lose weight now so it's a no go for me.

I know lots of educated people in the medical profession who eat there occasionally and they are not sick or fat.

Sounds like a personal decision and I think the nurse felt you were criticizing her choices as a parent. I get that you didn't want your child to hear that she thought it was okay though.

That's true that people can occasionally eat at McDonalds, IF you are working out and typically living a healthy life style. But if you're trying to loose weight, then all of those carbs in the Cheese, Ketchup, Bun, etc may not be the best for you or your liver when it's trying to burn the fat cells. It's up to you to help your body work more efficiently..not harder. :smile:
  • BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I guess I just find it inappropriate in the situation for the professional to make it about her habits and her kids. Isn't she being paid to talk to others about whether THEIR nutritional choices are healthy? She's the one who brought up her own, is it all about her much?
  • puppywalker
    puppywalker Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You don't have to explain your choices or healthy parenting to anyone. She being a health care professional should have been more in agreement. Then again, nurses work long hours and it's probably helpful to her to swing by the window on occasion. I laughed when I read your "stink-eye" comment. When my family decided to go vegetarian for a while, I saw a lot of rolling eyes. :noway:
This discussion has been closed.