Life or death

Options
I’ve reached a point that I HAVE to lose weight or I might not be around much longer. I’ve developed type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, anxiety, depression, pcos, and infertility. I’m going to try to focus on a high protein diet and watch my calories. I will accept any advice or pointers I can get. Expecially meal ideas for high protein and easy workouts I can do at home.

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,127 Member
    Options
    For workouts, I've heard good things about Leslie Sansone: low impact "walk at home" workouts.

Other advice: while it sounds like you've got urgent health issues that could warrant fast weight loss, don't push yourself too hard:
    - try implementing changes step by step, instead of overhauling in one go (you're less likely to give up) to create sustainable new habits
    - don't starve yourself: you might get quick results, but you won't be able to keep it up (or you expose yourself to health risks other than the ones you already have) -> try to find a balance between making sufficient progress to improve your health and your hunger levels

Even with urgent health issues, this needs to be a lifestyle change, keep your eye on your long term goal of getting healthy and maintaining that healthier weight through new habits :smile:
    I wish you lots of success!
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Well for exercise, what do you like to do? What could you see yourself looking forward to doing every day?

For meals, I'm sure there are tons of online resources for high protein, diabetes-friendly meal plans. But the bigger question is what has held you back from eating better in the past?

Basically, anyone can give you advice on exercise and eating better, but I doubt that any of it is actually news to you.

So what specifically do you need support with? Why haven't you made these positive changes in the past? Is there some barrier to success that you are struggling with removing?

Perhaps we can help you with that?
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Hey Kelsey,

You’ve come to the right place! I’m down over 120 pounds from my highest medically recorded weight. And my best tip for anyone is be honest with yourself. Get a gram scale and log everything. Your good days. Your rough days. Your “what the heck was I doing?” days.

I weigh myself every single day. Some people don’t, but it keeps me accountable. I log everything I eat and then I try to refocus, reflect on what’s going right and what’s going wrong. But above all, just keep going. Life is about showing up. You don’t have to go making any wild or extreme changes, just be consistent. Make changes you can live with and keep plugging along. You can do it!!!
  • vegasleo79
    vegasleo79 Posts: 63 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I have some of those issues myself and need to get back to a healthy weight. For exercise, do what you enjoy! Sounds so simple I know, but don’t force anything (other than maybe trying to walk some, which I struggle with bc I find it boring). I like to ride my stationary bike, do dumbbell workouts (either using my bike app, YouTube, or another app I bought from a fitness influencer). Having a fitness watch helps me stay motivated for exercise. I only wear mine during but of course people wear for steps. It’s fun to see the calories burned automatically get added to MFP. I eat back my calories if I want/need, but don’t always. Lots of free things on YouTube to start - try yoga, pilates, even just stretching or meditation to make you feel good. You can get an inexpensive mat and a couple dumbbells, you don’t need much. I do recommend some floor knee pads, they have helped me so much to do some of the exercises. Music always helps too :) Good luck!
  • Jacki916W
    Jacki916W Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just came out of all of those health problems. No more sleep apnea, high blood pressure, diabetes, etc. I’m thrilled. It’s definitely doable. For exercise I watch Holly Honjo on YouTube. She has several workouts. The one I’m doing is 25 minutes long and is a full body workout. She gears them towards larger people, people new to exercise, or injured people. No floor work. Love it! Great jumping off point.

As for protein rich meals, I have TONS of recipes!

Sent you a friend request.
  • StarryNight37
    StarryNight37 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say "hi". :smile:
    I'm in a similar boat (T2 diabetes, high blood pressure, pcos) and am trying to find my feet with healthy eating.

I'm not sure of your fitness level, but if you're anything like me, who likes to jump in and try to do it all at once, while you do have to challenge yourself, please don't try it all at once and injure yourself (I do this all the time). It's so disheartening. Consider looking on youtube for some flexibility videos as it will be of huge benefit and decrease injury potential. I follow a guy called Tom Morrison, but of course there are lots of others.