McDonalds Issue

Options

Replies

• jtkeaton
    Options
    MMMMM......Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese........Drool.
    Love those the way the grease squishes out in your mouth when you take a bite. Trouble is, I usually feel sort of sick after eating one and am trying to lose weight now so it's a no go for me.

I know lots of educated people in the medical profession who eat there occasionally and they are not sick or fat.

Sounds like a personal decision and I think the nurse felt you were criticizing her choices as a parent. I get that you didn't want your child to hear that she thought it was okay though.

That's true that people can occasionally eat at McDonalds, IF you are working out and typically living a healthy life style. But if you're trying to loose weight, then all of those carbs in the Cheese, Ketchup, Bun, etc may not be the best for you or your liver when it's trying to burn the fat cells. It's up to you to help your body work more efficiently..not harder. :wink:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    But if you're trying to loose weight, then all of those carbs in the Cheese, Ketchup, Bun, etc may not be the best for you or your liver when it's trying to burn the fat cells. It's up to you to help your body work more efficiently..not harder. :smile:

you will lose weight in a caloric deficit, eating carbs doesn't slow down weight loss
  • cmsu64113
    cmsu64113 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I still eat it and I have lost 98lbs I find it funny that people blame it on MCDS. who puts the food to YOUR mouth? there is your answer.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    There are truely so many better ways to reward your children like taking them to a park or a new movie or a small toy but nasty fattening high in saturated fat rewards is just lazy .I do not like judgemental types.
    hmmmm...don't like judgemental types, huh?
    new friend...I like you!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    As a rule in my household, we do not eat at McDonalds. For many reasons, but it is our choice. We do not openly push our idea of the place on others. I haven't eaten there in over a year and I think my older son has eaten there less than 5 times in his life time. (he will be 4 in a couple weeks) My younger son has never eaten there and since he is almost 16 months old, I am sure he doesn't even know the difference. I have been very open with my older son about the foods there and told him that they are not good for him. I tell him we do not eat there because it is not healthy. I do not break it down much farther than that as he is only 3.

I say all of that to ask opinions on what happened to us yesterday.

We were at an appointment and we were discussing our older son's eating habits. I tell the nurse that we eat very healthy. She made a joke about going to McDonalds. My son says, "Ewwww, thats yucky!" I laugh and tell her that we don't eat there and that I have explained to him that it is not a good place to eat. She says that she takes her kids there as a treat sometimes and says it is ok occasionly. I told her that we pretty much choose not to eat there at all and I don't really see it as a treat as most foods there are really unhealthy. She gives me a stink eye look and we kind of moved on and didn't mention it again.

What do you guys think about it. I didn't preach to her. I didn't bring it up. She just made me feel l was doing something wrong. I don't care if she eats there with her kids of if anyone does for that matter. I choose not to eat there and I don't take my kids there. For now, it is up to me (and my husband) what they eat. If they go there when they are older, it is up to them.

I don't know. I just left there with a really bad taste in my mouth. (pun intended) Would you all have said or done anything different?
    She looked at it like I would. You didn't have to preach it. Just by saying "most foods there are really unhealthy" indicates that if people eat there that they must be unhealthy in your eyes. When people perceive that some think they are "above" them in their food choices, I could see how it would leave a bad taste.
    It's like saying to someone "I shop at Nordstrom. I would never shop at Target". See?
    I would bet I'm probably as healthy as you are and eat McDonald's at least once a week. The nurse is right, once in awhile doesn't hurt.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    You kept your voice in your child's ear. WTG. More power to you. She should have known that with your child there she should have supported you and your choice for him.
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I agree with you 100%. It is not a healthy place to eat. Among other reasons, is the fact that everything is microwaved there. In fact, most fast food joints microwave everything on the menu. You have probably seen the examples of the hamburger and french fries that are months or even years old and still have not decomposed. Hmmm, wonder what they are doing in human stomachs. Probably not digesting very well. Stick to your guns and don't feel as if you need to apologize for your choice. You were right not to try to ram your opinion down her throat, and she shouldn't have gotten miffed when you merely expressed your opinion.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    There are truely so many better ways to reward your children like taking them to a park or a new movie or a small toy but nasty fattening high in saturated fat rewards is just lazy .I do not like judgemental types.

hmmmm...don't like judgemental types, huh?

Exactly my thoughts!!! That first quote was beautiful in contradicting itself! it's her right! Slagging her off for doing so is as bad as slagging people off for not doing it!

You have no idea who this nurse was, what her lifestyle is, and yet you instantly assume just because she treats her kids to McDonalds, you call her lazy! WOW!

This topic has really polarised people. IMO, i feel both parties were in the wrong. Remember, just because YOU don't like mcdonalds, think its "nasty", think it poisons children etc...thats just your opinion. One mans poison is another mans treat.

As i said earlier, there's far too much vilifying people for having unhealthy treats! If she wants to treat her kids to a mcdonalds, Its her choice! In the same way it's your choice not to!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    You were absolutely right in this situation and the nurse should not have put her two cents in. Honestly, I loveddd McDonalds, but no one should be eating it in moderation or not. You stuck to your guns and you should be proud!
    Lol, health police is out in force.
  • jtkeaton
    Options
    Eh, depends on how you look at it I guess. A low-carb diet limits carbohydrates- such as bread, grains, rice, starchy vegetables and fruit — and emphasizes sources of protein and fat. The theory behind the low-carb diet is that insulin prevents fat breakdown in the body by allowing sugar to be used for energy. Proponents of the low-carb diet believe that a decrease in carbs results in lower insulin levels, which causes the body to burn stored fat for energy.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    People are judgemental and it is often when they are jealous! Be proud you dont eat there it is CRAP food! good on you :)

hahahahahahaha oh the irony
  • girlypop
    Options
    I think the nurse/lady handled the situation poorly. It leaves a bad taste in your mouth because SHE was ungracious about her lifestyle in comparison to yours... Your kids are really young so they havent really developped enough to strongly have their own opinions and your free to indoctrinate them with whatever opinions you hold... A gracious person would have just said something pleasant in reponse to your explanation that you dont eat at McDonalds. My response would likely have been 'my kids and i sometimes get soft serve ice cream there in the summer to cool down'. It's very reasonable to not eat there and its also very reasonable to have ice cream there a few times a year, kids like treats like ice cream and its very cheap... Or another gracious response could have been 'my kids really like the silly toys'. It's vague and simple, i mean really most kids lie toy.

She didn't handle the situation well but don't worry about it, sometimes ppl get offended or become aggressive for silly things and not feeding a 3 yrold McDonalds in most cases is logical, so therefore its silly to become annoyed about this.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

but no one should be eating it in moderation or not

Says who? What gives you the right to tell us what we should or should not be eating?!

Wow, some of the replies in this tread are so holier-than-thou its sickening tbh...

Why should people be ashamed to say they eat there occasionally? In the same way they shouldn't be ashamed to say they dont!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Eh, depends on how you look at it I guess. A low-carb diet limits carbohydrates- such as bread, grains, rice, starchy vegetables and fruit — and emphasizes sources of protein and fat. The theory behind the low-carb diet is that insulin prevents fat breakdown in the body by allowing sugar to be used for energy. Proponents of the low-carb diet believe that a decrease in carbs results in lower insulin levels, which causes the body to burn stored fat for energy.

this is getting off topic, but why would you eat high protein if you are trying to prevent spikes in insulin, since protien is highly insulingenic as well? and there isn't a metabolic advantage to low carb diets
  • jtkeaton
    Options
    But if you're trying to loose weight, then all of those carbs in the Cheese, Ketchup, Bun, etc may not be the best for you or your liver when it's trying to burn the fat cells. It's up to you to help your body work more efficiently..not harder. :smile:

you will lose weight in a caloric deficit, eating carbs doesn't slow down weight loss

• FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options

but no one should be eating it in moderation or not

Says who? What gives you the right to tell us what we should or should not be eating?!

Wow, some of the replies in this tread are so holier-than-thou its sickening tbh...

hahah drunk me lurvs this:heart:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    McDonalds is EVIL!!! I refuse to let my son eat there and I stopped eating there after I saw all the weight I was gaining in college from eating their fattening food! I would've told that nurse off and said something along the lines of "well, it's a treat if you want to have little chubby kids who don't want to play outside because the fattening food is making them lazy!"
    You did great!!!:flowerforyou:
    Tell that to Michael Phelps and other myriad of Olympic athletes that eat their food. Oh and is a HUGE sponsor for the Olympics. Just because you couldn't moderate it doesn't make them evil. I take my daughter there once in awhile, and I go there at least once a week, but I do know how to limit what I eat and know how to use up the calories I eat there. Sounds like "sour grapes".
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    You were nicer than I would have been...she should have dropped the subject after you told her you didn't eat there. She was totally out of line saying she takes her kids there in front of your son.

Kuddos to you for building strong eating habits when your kids are young!
    ^^^^THIS!
    I would have mentioned my your over 100 pound weight LOSS that doesn't come from eating McDonalds!
    You view "treats" in a entirely different way and really the rest of us, all of us, should strive to do the same!

Just curious what do you consider a "treat" for your kids/family??
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I catch alot of "holier than thou" looks when I tell people that we don't eat at McDonald's. I decided when I had children (now 4 and 2) that they would not grow up on the unhealthy trash that I ate as a child, even as a treat. It is our decision as parents.
    Actually it's the other way around. The "EWWW" look I get from health nuts when I tell them I eat there. It still cracks me up how people think they avoid it thinks that their health will automatically improve.
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I think it's funny how so many people think that health care professionals are sooo healthy. I work as a respiratory therapist and 1/2 my co-workers smoke. Most of the RN's around her are over weight and eat tons of fast foods on their lunch breaks. Even the doctors around here are bringing in Pizza Hut and McD's.

Get over it. Not all people that eat fast food are unhealthy and not all people that refuse to eat fast food are healthy.
This discussion has been closed.