Advice please! :)

Options
*I wrote this out and then my thread disappeared. If it reappears, please don't hate me for doubling up!*

Here's my story in a nutshell. Weighing over 300 pounds, I decided to enlist the help of a personal trainer. Things were going well for a few months, then a few medical mishaps caused me to lose a month with him. I've been back on track with him for about 6 weeks.

The eating was ok, but not great. A few weeks ago, I had an "aha" moment after a near disasterous McDonald's breakfast that now has me in the gym 6 days a week for cardio. The eating obviously hasn't been great since I haven't lost very much weight at ALL.

After a meltdown on Monday after another week of no weight loss, I am back with a focused eating plan.

I am working out 6 days a week on the stationary bike (can't do the treadmill), riding between 12-18 miles a day. Additionally, I work out doing strength training with my trainer 3 days a week for an hour. I am now eating 1500 calories or less a day. I have decreased my fat, sugar and sodium intake (still battling hidden sugars) and increased my protein intake. I eat more than 5 servings of fruit/veg a day and drink an average of 12 glasses of water per day (that's all I drink).

My question is...am I missing anything? I just want to do this correctly and make sure I have all my bases covered!

Thank you MFP family...you're the best! <3

Replies

• Tonilynn70
    Tonilynn70 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I think your calories are too low for that much working out. I started out at 1300 and lost nothing... even tho I was exercising. I raised my calories to match my "fitness level" ... and within 2 days the weight started coming off. Granted, its been 8 lbs in about a month but its going down.

Good luck!!!
  • batesss
    Options
    I did weight watchers before i started this and the only thing that i would think about a little more (if you want to) is fiber, dairy and i know it seems weird, but some oil. Oils help lubricate everything to it, erm, comes out easily. Fiber also does the same thing, just don't over do it as it will cause bloating. I normally try to get in some chobani as it hits protein and dairy at the same time.

and WATER WATER WATER!

but i think you are doing a great job and so long as you stick to the guns you list for yourself, you'll do great, i'm sure.
  • julieinomaha
    Options
    Your trainer should be able to help you set your goal calories. I worked out for 6 months and didn't lose much weight but traded muscle for fat. And then I joined mfp and counted calories and then started losing weight. I think without logging it., you just don't know how many calories you are taking in. It surprises me how filling for the calories most fruit is. Nothing like really knowing. MFP has been very educational and you just start to approach eating differently. Best of luck to you, it sounds like you are very focused and hitting on all cylinders so I am sure you will succeed!
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    You have the beginning mindset ... you will need to do some research on what veggies / fruits you choose ... some are " not " very healthy and can sabotage you best efforts. Carbs are a huge downfall ... protein is key. If you can add 4 oz of either Salmon or chicken daily with sweet potato, edamame, spinach, greek yogurt, nuts and an egg. The use of condiments also plays an equally important role ... stick with spices that are minimum in calories and jumpstart the metabolism. Such as cayenne pepper is awesome. We all need " treats " .... use the serving size as your bible. There were days when " treats " were my only salvation ! Try and keep your calorie intake under 1500 daily and really pay attention to the sugars, protein and carbs. This is a long journey, but well worth the ride ! Also ... MOST importantly, EXERCISE daily ! Strength training on arms, abs and thighs is crucial ! If you don't focus on this there will be " loose " skin that is very uncomfortable. Avoid this by weight lifting and limiting your weight loss to a healthy 2 to 3 pounds weekly ... 10lbs a month is perfect ! Best of luck and remember ... determination, hope and faith are key to a happy soul ... everything else in superficial ! ♥
  • EileenKM
    Options
    Hmm, based on the information provided (i.e. I can't see what you're eating), things sound about right.

Also, patience is key. You may have already heard that it takes a ~3600 calorie loss to drop 1 pound. So as long your trending in the right direction, you should be good shape!

I did want to add re: stationary bike. That maybe you may want to look into a heart rate monitor. This will make sure that you're getting a good burn off your time spent. There are so many people who state that they workout x a good hour or so & but the quality of the workout is soo poor (ex: level's too easy or they're just not pushing themselves properly).

Good luck! Hope this helps?
  • FelizMi
    FelizMi Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I was the same way when I first started working out. I lost nothing for a long time. But I kept at it, and eventually, very slowly, the weight started coming off.

Now again, this whole year I haven't really lost anything, even though I know for a fact that I am not netting, not even close to taking in, the 2500 calories a day that it would take to maintain my weight.

The body does weird things, at least mine does. But I have noticed that my "shape" is changing. And that either I loose a few inches some where, or I can see and feel that I'm getting firmer, or curves are shaping up to be where they are supposed to be. So, that is my sign that all my work is not for nothing.

I may not be losing pounds, but something good is happening. So keep working at it, and you will see good changes too!
  • Awake_Alive
    Awake_Alive Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!