Can you plateau before you start to lose weight?

Options
I weigh about 150 lbs currently, and I'm 5'3" tall. I try to eat between 800 and 1100 calories every day (which is harder than it should be for me) and I exercise three to four times a week. But I've been doing this for a month now, and I have seen no change. I've tried switching my diet around, by eating strictly healthy meals, going no-meat, but nothing seems to be working. Is this something I'm doing wrong, or should I be seeing a doctor about why I'm not losing weight?
Thanks for any input [:

Replies

• vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    good lord you are not losing weight because you're not eating enough food! Your body doesn't want to give anything up because it's starving. soon you will lose weight, but it will be any muscle you have and then you'll plateau again and feel like crap.

up your calories to at least 1400 a day and eat all your exercise calories back. your BMR is your bare minimum. Find out what that is and eat at least that. I am worried about you! Please eat more.

I just plugged your information into the Fat 2 Fit Radio site and it says you should eat 1600 a day with NO activity.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    You're most likely not losing because you're not eating enough. Scary though, I know, but up your calories for a few weeks (give your body time to adjust so don't judge it on a couple days) and see what happens. Eat all 1200 AND part, or all, exercise calories.
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    Options
    good lord you are not losing weight because you're not eating enough food! Your body doesn't want to give anything up because it's starving. soon you will lose weight, but it will be any muscle you have and then you'll plateau again and feel like crap.

up your calories to at least 1400 a day and eat all your exercise calories back. your BMR is your bare minimum. Find out what that is and eat at least that. I am worried about you! Please eat more.

I just plugged your information into the Fat 2 Fit Radio site and it says you should eat 1600 a day with NO activity.

^ That. You can't expect a car to move without fuel, don't expect your body to move without food. Eat something. If you can't seem to eat anything that is high in calories enough to get over 1400 a day, try dried fruits and nuts. That will for sure get you there.
  • CindiBryce
    Options
    I weigh about 150 lbs currently, and I'm 5'3" tall. I try to eat between 800 and 1100 calories every day (which is harder than it should be for me) and I exercise three to four times a week. But I've been doing this for a month now, and I have seen no change. I've tried switching my diet around, by eating strictly healthy meals, going no-meat, but nothing seems to be working. Is this something I'm doing wrong, or should I be seeing a doctor about why I'm not losing weight?
    Thanks for any input [:
    At 150 pounds, you can probably lose weight on 1400 calories effectively. At your weight, 800 calories is just far to little and it will inhibit your weight loss.
    Try calorie-shifting as well. It may increase metabolism.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    You aren't eating enough. Try adding more food, and stick to at least 1200 calories per day AFTER accounting for exercise!

Good luck!
  • shiransom
    shiransom Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You're most likely not losing because you're not eating enough. Scary though, I know, but up your calories for a few weeks (give your body time to adjust so don't judge it on a couple days) and see what happens. Eat all 1200 AND part, or all, exercise calories.

I completely agree
  • airycha
    airycha Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You do need to eat more. I try to eat so my net is as least 1200 (so that means eating back exercise calories if needed). It is usually slightly higher than that.
  • lauehorn
    Options
    I agree with the other posters. You are most definitely not eating enough, which is why you have hit a plateau. Your body is slowing your metabolism to conserve energy. Eat more and you should see/feel an improvement. Also, make sure the calories you are consuming are "good" calories. You should be eating a balanced diet of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, etc. Limit alcohol and unhealthy fats. Cut out processed foods and try to eat whole foods only - those are the foods on the outer perimeter of the grocery and they don't come in packages. If you still have trouble, consult your doctor or registered nutritionist.
  • canelly
    canelly Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I'm or I was in the same boat!! Well I'm 5'3 and 152 lbs I was eating just like you 800
    To 1000 cal a day an in 1 month I only lost 2 lbs an I felt like I al least should of lost 10 but nooooooo .
    Well I desided to up my calories since I started reading about starving mode so I went up to 1550 cal a day and yes I will try to eat my exercise calories I said try since today I bearly hit my goal cal so I will try this for 5 weeks see if I see any change ; ) and I'll let u know
  • hufflypuff
    hufflypuff Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    You didn't mention any exercise or fitness. Do you do anything physical?
  • journiemateio
    Options
    I've decided to eat more calories, even if it takes me longer to finish meals. And I generally walk for a couple of hours three or four times a week. I also do yoga occasionally. I'll keep everyone updated on what happens [:
  • hufflypuff
    hufflypuff Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I've decided to eat more calories, even if it takes me longer to finish meals. And I generally walk for a couple of hours three or four times a week. I also do yoga occasionally. I'll keep everyone updated on what happens [:

Unless you have a medical reason for not getting your heart rate up more than what a walk offers then you should try to get a couple days a week with a more difficult exercise that walking. Yoga is amazing for keeping yourself stretched out and also building muscle. If you add a little more difficult exercising to your routine you will most likely find yourself considerably more hungry. That may help you get the extra calories you need to get over 1200.
  • lovelyiskey
    lovelyiskey Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It's all been said. I look forward to hearing of your progress :)! fuel that body <3
  • journiemateio
    Options
    :D IT'S WORKING! I hadn't weighed myself for about a week before I posted the first message on this, and I weighed myself today, and I've lost 2.2 lbs! I AM SO INCREDIBLY HAPPY. I've also written up a new exercise regime to see if I can stick to it, although things have been changed around on it already. Thank you to everyone for your advice ^^ Ahhhhh I'm so happy :D