to those on 1,200-1,300 CALS.

Options
Anyone on here around 1,200-1,300 cals per day and either still trying to lose weight OR maintaining - I was wondering what your daily carb intake is per day? I'm allowed about 122 g per day without exercise.. is this too much? Not sure if I should lower my carbs or not as I heard carbs can stall weight loss or slow it down a bit.. (not quite sure if this is accurate! so mfp, any responses are appreciated.. thanks!)

Replies

• babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Anyone on here around 1,200-1,300 cals per day and either still trying to lose weight OR maintaining - I was wondering what your daily carb intake is per day? I'm allowed about 122 g per day without exercise.. is this too much? Not sure if I should lower my carbs or not as I heard carbs can stall weight loss or slow it down a bit.. (not quite sure if this is accurate! so mfp, any responses are appreciated.. thanks!)

Ignore what you have heard, only white carbs are bad, white bread, rice and pasta.
    that includes multigrain bread as it is white bread with grains in it so get wholegrain or wholemeal.
    and with pita bread make sure its wholemeal and any kind of wraps. anything with 'wheat flour' in it is bad. make sure its 'wholemeal wheat flour'
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I'm on 120g a day and I'm doing fine. Sometimes I'm lower, but I usually get right to the goal. If you think it might be stalling your weight loss, try something different. It's all about experiment to see what works for your body.
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I'm on 120g a day and I'm doing fine. Sometimes I'm lower, but I usually get right to the goal. If you think it might be stalling your weight loss, try something different. It's all about experiment to see what works for your body.

Yes!
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I usually don't use up my carbs alloted. I stay away from breads the most I can. If I want a sandwich I use one slice of bread instead of two and just pile everything else into a half size sandwich. It works out pretty well.
  • splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • laurelei09
    laurelei09 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've been taking in 150 - 200 a day, by the looks of it. (I'm not a big veggie eater so carbs are going to be a big part of my diet.)
  • Shrekkk
    Options
    My nutritionist told me that although this site is great, she disagrees with the Carb and protien levels. She believes the carbs to be too high and the protein to be too low, so I adjust my levels for myself and allow more protein and cut back on the carbs as best i can. Carbs are sneaky tho... they're everywhere!!!!
  • sharonus
    Options
    I was on 1200 cals until about a week ago when I changed my goal to lose 1/2 lb a week (instead of 1 lb). Now I'm on 1280 a day with my "goal" of carbs set to 175. I probably eat about that much, but I would say a good chunk is from fruit or things like yogurt. I'm trying to concentrate on the type of foods I eat (bread for sandwiches but not garlic bread, no fries, no chips). I'm really not worried about the carbs that come from fruit. I've lost at a pretty steady rate, so I don't think limiting carbs would have made anything better for me.
  • bks1
    bks1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have roughly the same allocation of carbs, and I find what works for me is to decrease my carb intake by a bit and experiment with increasing protein. So far I've had good results but as a previous post said, you have to experiment and find what works for you. Good luck!
  • mandysjourney
    mandysjourney Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist told me that although this site is great, she disagrees with the Carb and protien levels. She believes the carbs to be too high and the protein to be too low, so I adjust my levels for myself and allow more protein and cut back on the carbs as best i can. Carbs are sneaky tho... they're everywhere!!!!

so what % does your nutritionist recommend? I am not only this low cals but interested to know what nvalues are recommended
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    Options
    I usually set my protein up a bit which lowers my carbs but I usually do not use up my carbs either way.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    If you have used the default % and are looking to make a change, try the following for 6 weeks and see what your results are. You should tweek after that as you desire.

Carbs - 40%
    Protein -35%
    Fat- 25%

How you respond to this will also be impacted by what you do to exercise. If you do only cardio, you will respond differently than if you also do resistance training. Neither is necessarily bad, but there may be a difference in how you respond.

Have fun.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Every person is different. I lost weight while at 1200 cal and 55% carbs. When I plateaued a lot of the suggestions said to lower carbs. After I lowered carbs I gained. I lowered even further and I gained more. So now I'm actually trying to raise my carbs back up but after having 'em low for so long I haven't even been able to hit 40% because of how I'm used to eating now (I even tried having a bagel today and am still at 37%!) and I'm still stuck/gaining. :\