Losing without exercising?

Options
Is anyone else losing weight without exercising? I am too lazy to exercise so I just eat less.

Replies

• fallenangelloves
    fallenangelloves Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Yes losing without exercising is possible but that doesn't help you in the "healthy" category... There are at of unhealthy skinny people. My daughter(20) for one weighs 120 lbs and has a higher cholesterol level than I do.... I vote for exercising for your health!
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I lost without exercising for at least 3 months, and lost quite a bit. Don't know the exact amount, but it can be done. I too was too lazy to exercise.

But then I started running.

Good luck!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Of course you can lose weight by controlling calorie intake alone. You may not look that great and you won't be fit, but your weight (muscle and fat) will decrease.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Ugh I know it's healthy. That makes me double lazy!
  • tickletickle
    Options
    i lost 10kg without it, now ive started seen i have 10kg to go, i may as well tone up too
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    It's okay to lose without exercising. In fact, some people aren't able to exercise because of different types of health reasons. If you learn how to lose weight without exercise, then you'll never be fat, even if you break your leg. Whenever somebody says, "I was pretty skinny until I stopped exercising," means they never understood how to eat less.
  • cowboydan43
    cowboydan43 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    It is possible, but not the best idea- as you know. For me I think seeing muscles form is almost as exciting as my waist shrinking. Even if I stay within my calorie goal I don't lose nearly as quickly as when I work out. Your heart will thank you- even if it is just 15 minute walks a couple times a week. Good luck!
  • jkelley15
    Options
    I love the feeling you get after a good work out ....priceless
  • KatieCuth
    KatieCuth Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    You can loose weight on the lounge it is what you put in your mouth that counts... but as others have said excerise is great for your wellbeing and also toning your muscles... Even if you just go for a walk...
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I tried just losing weight without the exercise but I was getting too hungry and it wasn't working for me. When I started exercising and eating my exercise calories it worked out much better for me. Plus I feel so much better too.
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Yes, losing w/o exercise, but now I'm finding some flabby parts, and I'm thinking 'I'm definately not too lazy to exercise', so, I do some exercise each week. Even if it's going for an hour walk, dancing around the house for an hour, or lifting my 5 pound weights and stretching.
  • Nosila0815
    Nosila0815 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you call exercising. I started off just reducing my calories and adding in some limited walking. Now that I have started 30 Day Shred my weight loss seems to have stalled but I am sure it is from muscle gain. Good luck on the weight loss through reduced calories but don't forget to add some exercise in when you get to a comfortable weight because the reduced calories can't be maintained indefinitely with you being healthy.
  • ctalimenti
    Options
    Wow, EPIPHANY!!!!
    It's okay to lose without exercising. In fact, some people aren't able to exercise because of different types of health reasons. If you learn how to lose weight without exercise, then you'll never be fat, even if you break your leg. Whenever somebody says, "I was pretty skinny until I stopped exercising," means they never understood how to eat less.
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    It's VERY possible. Losing weight is mostly diet. Cardio just speeds up the process or allows you to eat more, and improves your cardiovascular health. Weight lifting increases my BMR and preserves your lean body mass as you lose weight so you'll look better. But if you just want to reduce the number on the scale, eat less and eat better.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    You can do it for sure, I ran 2 6-month cycles one with just a change in diet, one with diet,cardio and weights. Both times I lost nearly 40lbs, but with only the change in diet, I lost quite a lot of muscle. Meaning I was skinny, and useless. I kept track through bodyweight exercises (push,pullups, etc) and can say without a doubt, I was a lot weaker, therefore not as fit or healthy.

When I kept up on resistance training , as well as changed my diet, towards mid summer I was still able to push/pull decent amounts, even though I lost 40lbs on the scale. And it goes without saying I looked more toned/muscular.

Once you've been through the routines a few times, you start realizing what you'd ideally wanna be 5-10 months down the road, and it isnt always 'skinnier'.

Just somethin to think about ^
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Sure you can lose weight without exercising. I've heard that weight loss is 80% diet & 20% exercise & in my experience that's probably true. Making dietary changes has much more effect on my weight than exercise does. And if you don't care about looking like a deflated version of yourself when you're done losing weight, more power to ya.

But if you're not going to do it all the way, then why do it? You already acknowledge that you don't have a decent reason for avoiding exercise.

I have to add that exercise has made an amazing difference in the way I feel, both physically & mentally. I can climb a flight of stairs without going into cardiac arrest. I could kick the living crap out of someone trying to mug me as I'm walking to my car. I have completely cured myself of high blood pressure. I don't have to walk around feeling guilty knowing I don't have a decent reason to exercise. I sleep well at night knowing I'm taking good care of my body & making sure my kids & other loved ones will have me around as long as possible. The sense of accomplishment I feel when I finish a distance run or leg press 300 lbs is a rush like no other. The list goes on.

Stop making excuses & give yourself more stuff to be proud of instead. Seriously.
  • ctalimenti
    Options
    OK, Thanks all. I'll try to start by riding my bike and walking
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    Even if you don't care to exercise to lose weight, it is so important for your overall health!! Try to do something for 30 minutes a day, whether it is taking a walk around the block or biking or doing whatever!!
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    OK, Thanks all. I'll try to start by riding my bike and walking
    You can start as big or small as you want...just start! :smile: I started out walking 15 min a day 3x/week at first. Gradually I was able to increase the time & distance & was motivated to challenge myself with fitness goals & not just weight goals. Yay you!