If your goal weight was 120 lbs, what would your +/- be?

Options
I'm not trying to be obsessive, but if my goal is 120 lbs, how much latitude do you give yourself? Is 118 lbs at goal? Is 122 lbs at goal? Where would the limits be if this were you? Thanks!

Replies

• tuckahoe88
    tuckahoe88 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    For 120 pounds, I would consider both 118 and 122 to be "at goal". I weigh a bit more than you and give myself a window: If I am somewhere between 124-129, I'm content. I've weighed myself every day and log for averages in Libra, so I don't sweat *exact* numbers. Have maintained this way for many years. Hope that helps!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    There are so many variables that factor into your scale weight at any given time that you have to have a goal range, instead of an exact number.

The size of that range is kind of personal. Some women, especially, have more dramatic hormone-related swings every month.

For me, personally, I have a typical range of 125-130. If I'm a little outside of that range, I don't sweat it unless I'm finding I'm above/below my range for a considerable amount of time. Then, I might tweak a few things to get back into my preferred range.
  • GloriaBJN
    GloriaBJN Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Just for myself, once I've hit my goal weight, I won't worry about my weight. I'll gauge my calorie intake on whether or not I'm outgrowing the clothes that fit my range.
  • walkintofit
    walkintofit Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I do a 5 lb range: 117-123. There is a lot of fluctuation with water weight!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    I also try to stay within a 5 lb. range of 120-125. Since I'm post menopausal, it is a bit easier than it would have been when I was younger. Like Ann, I don't worry if I gain a few pounds on vacation since it usually comes off again pretty quickly.
  • kaydensmom2009
    kaydensmom2009 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My goal is 115lbs and I give myself 3lbs in either direction, so my range is 112-118lbs. After my period I’m on the lower end and leading up to it I’m on the higher end.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I think that’s an empirical question. When I was young I bounced around five pounds a day. Now I’m pretty stable plus or minus 2. I weigh daily and that gives me a sense of my bounce.
  • Tenshi187
    Tenshi187 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    +/- 3 lbs.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    How much your own weight fluctuates (throughout the month if you are a person who menstruates) will depend on YOU.

I don't really consider anything inside +/- 5lbs as anything significant as far as gain/loss bc I routinely can fluctuate that much on a scale. That's me though, you might be different or have other factors that affect your weight on a scale.
  • sbelletti
    sbelletti Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    +/- 5lbs. I weigh daily, but I also go by how my clothes fit. Plus, if you are weight training, you could gain a few pounds of muscle but lose fat and be the same size or smaller.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,334 Member
    Options
    I give myself a 7 lb range
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    5 lb up is fine for me
  • recover808
    recover808 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you weigh yourself often/daily just take the weekly average if not 2 lbs either way for 120 lbs should be considered goal wt