Nuts about Peanut Butter!

Options
So....I LOVE peanut butter...so what is the deal? Is it healthy? Not healthy? What is the healthiest kind to buy? How often can you have it? (Right now...I eat about 1 1/2tbs most days...it's pretty addicting!)

Replies

• Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    So....I LOVE peanut butter...so what is the deal? Is it healthy? Not healthy? What is the healthiest kind to buy? How often can you have it? (Right now...I eat about 1 1/2tbs most days...it's pretty addicting!)

It's good for you if you get it without the added sugar and hydrogenated oil. I make my own peanut, almond and pistachio butter at home. I eat it daily.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    It's pretty high-cal but the fats are good for ya.

If you can find a brand with just peanuts (usually oil is seperated at the top) it's a better bet. Try natural peanutbutter (just nuts) and taste regular peanutbutter, you won't believe how odd/salty it tastes.

Almond butter's great too, good source of vitamin e.
  • beckyahern7
    Options
    Have you ever heard of Better 'N' Peanut Butter? They sell jars of it at Trader Joe's, and 2 TBSP is only 100 calories! AND it actually tastes like peanut butter, not that fake PB flavor other brands make. I realize as I'm typing this that I sound like a commercial, but it really is good!
  • sameheartnewbeat
    Options
    It's healthy when you eat it in moderation. Peanut butter is my all time favorite, so I'm always careful not to go overboard with it.
  • curt656
    Options
    Look into a little something called Peanut Wonder (I get the low sodium kind). 2 tablespoons is only 100 calories and 2 grams of fat. It tastes a little different than regular peanut butter, but I think it's freakin delicious. I actually prefer it to real peanut butter, but others are on the complete other side of that spectrum, lol. If I DIDN'T like it better than regular, I would still think the low calorie and fat content far outweigh the negligible difference in taste. The only down side of the stuff for me is that it is a couple of dollars more per jar than regular peanut butter. I hope you like it, I sure do!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I buy Krema brand peanut butter. It's ingredients are: Peanuts

:)

eat as much as you can fit into your diary while still achieving your carb/fat/protein/calorie goals :) your 1.5 tbs a day sounds just fine to me!
  • JJHudgens
    JJHudgens Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Have you ever heard of Better 'N' Peanut Butter? They sell jars of it at Trader Joe's, and 2 TBSP is only 100 calories! AND it actually tastes like peanut butter, not that fake PB flavor other brands make. I realize as I'm typing this that I sound like a commercial, but it really is good!

THE best stuff ever!! Love it! I also love the natural almond butter. I get the big jar of it from COSTCO, for only about $6. Which is way cheaper than the smaller jars elsewhere. :)
  • lilieslosinit
    lilieslosinit Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    If there is a Whole Foods (or something like it maybe?) around you, then you can go there and grind your own peanut butter. It's fairly reasonable as far as price goes and I think it tastes great. When I'm missing the sugar, I add honey on my toast or whatever I'm having peanut butter with. It won't separate like the other natural kinds you buy off the shelf because you grind it yourself and then take it home and stick it in the fridge right away! I love it :)