CGMs - Continuous Glucose Monitors

Options
Good afternoon. I'm wondering if anyone has had success losing weight using CGMs. Please let me know if you can. I'm not diabetic or pre-diabetic. I'm just thinking of using one for weight loss.

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,620 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Since this isn't the first post on this issue, I'm really curious as to why people think monitoring their glucose will have anything to do with weight loss?

It's become a huge thing on Instagram and YouTube. A company that came out with a glucose monitor is advertising it as a diet/healthy eating aid
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,999 Member
    Options
    In Australia CGM's are subsidised for type 1 diabetics ( possibly some type 2's if they are on insulin, I'm not sure)

very expensive otherwise.

As well as pointless really
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Not it's intended use.
  • delillolauren
    delillolauren Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Personally I think it’s a waste of money and resources.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Science says don't waste your money.

Validity of continuous glucose monitoring for categorizing glycemic responses to diet: implications for use in personalized nutrition
    https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/115/6/1569/6522168?login=false

Dr. Eric Trexler did a research review on that paper, and while for obvious reasons I'm not gonna copy/paste the whole thing, here's the final line, which I think sums it up pretty well:
    "However, for non-clinical applications related to general health or performance in people without glycemic control issues, I’m not seeing much evidence to support a beneficial effect, and there are some potential downsides when we burden ourselves with the task of micromanaging glucose fluctuations that are well within normal ranges."
  • neanderthin
    edited November 2022
    Options
    JBanx256 wrote: »
    Science says don't waste your money.

Validity of continuous glucose monitoring for categorizing glycemic responses to diet: implications for use in personalized nutrition
    https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/115/6/1569/6522168?login=false

Dr. Eric Trexler did a research review on that paper, and while for obvious reasons I'm not gonna copy/paste the whole thing, here's the final line, which I think sums it up pretty well:
    "However, for non-clinical applications related to general health or performance in people without glycemic control issues, I’m not seeing much evidence to support a beneficial effect, and there are some potential downsides when we burden ourselves with the task of micromanaging glucose fluctuations that are well within normal ranges."

Let's see. A study that critiques a product that has a specific medical purpose and then doesn't see much evidence of a beneficial effect for people who's glucose is generally in the normal range and possibly seeing a downside from micromanaging something that doesn't exist.....well, that's pure freeken genius. On a serious note, Dr. Trexler was absolutely correct, it makes no sense if it's not used for its intended purpose.
  • Qbaimee
    Qbaimee Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your money on that. If you want to just throw money away, send it to me :)
    All you need to do is be in a calorie deficit to lose weight. Nothing fancy is needed, ever.
  • dstedman62
    dstedman62 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to only to eat fresh Fruit and vegetables to get my sugar. That said, if I eat three fruits and five vegetables, I'm way over on my sugar intake for the day. Should I not count the sugar from fruits and vegetables and only count added sugars?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,200 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    dstedman62 wrote: »
    I'm trying to only to eat fresh Fruit and vegetables to get my sugar. That said, if I eat three fruits and five vegetables, I'm way over on my sugar intake for the day. Should I not count the sugar from fruits and vegetables and only count added sugars?

Are you diabetic or insulin resistant, or do you have some other health condition that requires you to limit total sugar or manage carb intake? If yes, discuss this with your doctor or registered dietitian, or rely on advice from respected mainstream relevant organizations (such as American Diabetes Association)

If you're just a regular human trying to lose weight or be healthy or both, don't worry about inherent sugars, unless it brings you so many calories you can't get enough protein or healthy fats.

Inherent sugars (or even added ones) won't affect weight management directly, because that's all about calorie intake. (It can have an indirect effect if the sugars spike your appetite, or give you extra energy so you move more.) The right calorie level will achieve your weight goals. Nutritionally, what matters is the overall picture, on average over semi-short time periods (day to a week, maybe), not individual foods or nutrients.

I ate well over MFP's default total sugars goal every day during weight loss, with nearly zero added sugars. The sugars were inherent in veggies, fruits, and dairy. I lost weight fine. I maintain weight fine, doing the same thing, for around 7 years now. (I eat more added sugar in maintenance than I did while losing, because my calorie budget is bigger. I still don't eat lots, typically well under the WHO/USDA/NHS kind of guidelines. That's not deprivation: I'm just not a big sweets-eater.)

Get enough protein. Get enough healthy fats. Get plenty of varied, colorful fruits and veggies. Hit a reasonable calorie goal. You'll do fine, as long as no pre-existing disease or health condition is complicating that picture.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    It's become a huge thing on Instagram and YouTube. A company that came out with a glucose monitor is advertising it as a diet/healthy eating aid

Sigh. Anything to trend, even if it wastes money or puts people’s health at risk.
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    As an aside, can someone please tell me how it's connected to the blood system? Do you need a trained professional to connect it? Thanks.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Here's Dr. Zubin Damania a guy I follow talking with Dr. Ron Sinha about glucose monitors and metabolism and it's light, comical and informative but it's long and I think some could find interesting.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Cg55DR2s8uk
  • kchapmanma
    kchapmanma Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    @threewins: It's connected via a very fine needle that gets injected under your skin. The needle is part of the sensor, which is placed on your skin (usually around your belly or the back of your upper arm, depending on the CGM). The sensor is installed via a gun that fires the needle into your skin. The needle is so small, though, you can't feel it get injected. The sensor also has a sticky seal that sticks the sensor to your skin. So you wear it until the sensor expires - which is every 10 days for the model I use - and then replace it with a new sensor. The sensor also includes a transmitter that then sends the blood sugar readings to either your phone or another device via wifi. Hope this helps!
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    mamnavarro wrote: »
    Good afternoon. I'm wondering if anyone has had success losing weight using CGMs. Please let me know if you can. I'm not diabetic or pre-diabetic. I'm just thinking of using one for weight loss.

I used a CGM for a couple months to learn how different foods affect my glucose levels. There's PLENTY of research coming out right now that shows how high levels of insulin affect your metabolic health. Metabolic health is a spectrum, usually starting with a high fasting insulin level, continuing with a rising blood glucose, which may eventually lead to T2 diabetes.

The CGM can tell you which foods and how you eat them affect your own personal glucose levels. It's like a personalized glycemic index.

I did not use mine for weight loss, but it was very insightful information. Totally worth the money for me **personally** to use for a couple months.

There's a lot more to health than just weight loss, and to me, this was a way to learn more about my own health.
  • roscoesmama1029
    roscoesmama1029 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have a continuous glucose monitor but I’m a Type 1 diabetic so I use it for an entirely different reason. Hopefully you get the information you need from using it.