Greek Lettuce Wraps. OMG

Options
Keiora
Keiora Posts: 36 Member
Sooooo.. Yesterday it was lunchtime and I had no idea what I was going to make... So I threw this together and OMG SOOOOOO good... So I had to share. :) The recipe is just for one (My boyfriend literally can't stand any of the ingredients in this except the chicken and lettuce), but I'm sure it could be expanded..

1 boneless skinless chicken breast - diced smallish

1 cup bell peppers - diced (I used green and yellow, but that's just cause it's what I had hanging around)

1/2 cup onion - diced

3-4 lettuce leaves (I like leaf lettuce, but iceberg would work as well)

1/2 tbsp Minced garlic

Black pepper

Dried herbs:

Thyme

Oregano

Sage

Sautee the chicken until cooked through, then add peppers, onions and garlic... Cook until the peppers and onions are soft.. Add a good amount of each of the dried herbs (you sorta want the chicken and vegetables to be coated-ish and sautee for another minute or so and you're done... Now do like you would with regular lettuce wraps. Take a leaf, add some of the chicken-y goodness mixture to the center and instead of hoisin I use homemade tzatziki (although store bought is fine as well).. They are just under 400 calories for 3-4 wraps (depending on the tzatziki you use) and SOOOO good.

Replies

• leopardvice
    Options
    thats an awesome dinner idea, thanx!
  • suzi67
    suzi67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Sounds so good, gonna have to try them!
  • Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • kiwi1855
    kiwi1855 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Try butter lettuce. The leaves roll better. You can do mexican style tacos in it as well!
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Keiora
    Options
    Oh butter lettuce! I'll try that... The farm stand near me sells these HUGE heads of butter an leaf lettuce... Over a foot across, no joke... Straight out of their garden! I'm always looking for new uses. XD
  • rolliepollie087
    rolliepollie087 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    bump!! =D thx for sharing
  • ldydestiny
    Options
    Romaine heart leaves work really well for lettuce wraps too. I like that they have a "spine" to hold the goods steady while you wrap the leafy parts around them. If you get them at the grocery store, I just buy the 3 pack in the salad section. Any that you don't use can be used for salad!
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, I'm going to try these.
  • maggielac
    Options
    Sounds yummy! Thanks
  • suzi67
    suzi67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Had these for dinner tonight, made enough for the family. Everyone loved them, going on the regular menu. Thanks! Too bad there's no leftovers for lunch tomorrow...
  • leyna6388
    Options
    bump
  • natika33
    natika33 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of Korean BBQ, but with a Greek taste instead. Sounds yummy!
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i'm totally doing that with the lettuce next time i make wraps..... i've never tried it with lettuce.
  • Picky_nikki
    Picky_nikki Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me to use lettuce in wraps! I hate the amount of calories for the tortilla wraps when all I want is the filling!!
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Sooooo.. Yesterday it was lunchtime and I had no idea what I was going to make... So I threw this together and OMG SOOOOOO good... So I had to share. :) The recipe is just for one (My boyfriend literally can't stand any of the ingredients in this except the chicken and lettuce), but I'm sure it could be expanded..

1 boneless skinless chicken breast - diced smallish

1 cup bell peppers - diced (I used green and yellow, but that's just cause it's what I had hanging around)

1/2 cup onion - diced

3-4 lettuce leaves (I like leaf lettuce, but iceberg would work as well)

1/2 tbsp Minced garlic

Black pepper

Dried herbs:

Thyme

Oregano

Sage

Sautee the chicken until cooked through, then add peppers, onions and garlic... Cook until the peppers and onions are soft.. Add a good amount of each of the dried herbs (you sorta want the chicken and vegetables to be coated-ish and sautee for another minute or so and you're done... Now do like you would with regular lettuce wraps. Take a leaf, add some of the chicken-y goodness mixture to the center and instead of hoisin I use homemade tzatziki (although store bought is fine as well).. They are just under 400 calories for 3-4 wraps (depending on the tzatziki you use) and SOOOO good.

So what's in your homemade tzatziki? Is it lightened up too?
  • Keiora
    Options
    Tzatziki

1 (8 ounce) container plain, nonfat greek yogurt
    1 cucumber1 – peeled, seeded and diced
    1 tablespoons olive oil
    1 lemon, juiced
    salt and pepper to taste
    Garlic to taste (I use... lots)
    Fresh dill to taste (I use billions)

That made enough for me to use for days... And I found myself making excuses to use it cause it's so yummy!!! It does make a very "loose" tzatziki... Thin, but that works perfectly for these wraps
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Tzatziki

1 (8 ounce) container plain, nonfat greek yogurt
    1 cucumber1 – peeled, seeded and diced
    1 tablespoons olive oil
    1 lemon, juiced
    salt and pepper to taste
    Garlic to taste (I use... lots)
    Fresh dill to taste (I use billions)

That made enough for me to use for days... And I found myself making excuses to use it cause it's so yummy!!! It does make a very "loose" tzatziki... Thin, but that works perfectly for these wraps

next time you make it drain the extra liquid from the yogurt. This should help :) I have also found that english cucumbers make a better sauce. Not sure what kind you use. Thanks for sharing.. Can't wait to try these :)
  • shtaylor
    Options
    If you want it thicker maybe if you use lemon zest instead of the juice. I think that is what I will try. Let you know if it works.
  • slavaheroyam
    Options
    Ah! This sounds delicious! I'll try and maybe add some chopped cucumbers, tomatoes and lemon juice :)
    Greek food is some of my absolute favorite!