Ulcer diet?

Options
Hi everyone, I found out that I have an ulcer today and to be honest the doctor was very vague about what I should be doing. He prescribed me some antibiotics and some antacid type things, but he also explained some sort of diet to me, and for the life of me I can't remember what I should and should not be eating.

I do have another appointment for tomorrow, but in the meantime I would like to know what types of food to avoid... I did the whole google thing and so far I have come up with citrus, and salt. Anything else?

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you went to see the doctor. Ask him again tomorrow about what your diet should consist of. People on a fitness forum are not qualified to help you with this, no matter how much they may want to.
  • RocketsGirl75
    Options
    I'm glad you went to see the doctor. Ask him again tomorrow about what your diet should consist of. People on a fitness forum are not qualified to help you with this, no matter how much they may want to.

agreed...but things high in acid content do not help.
  • barbarabo
    Options
    basically you should be on a bland diet, or what he may have referred to as the BRAT diet... which is bananas , rice, applesauce, and toast. (also used after nausea/vomiting). Basically you want to eat bland starchy foods.. plain baked or boiled chicken or turkey, rice, potatoes, plain pasta, milk, crackers, some veggies, especially cooked would be ok, like carrots or green beans. You want to avoid, like you said, anything citrusy, salty, or spicy, and want to avoid alcohol. Fatty foods, Caffeine --especially coffee and sodas, and chocolate can aggravate them sometimes as well. Hope you feel better soon!!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Someone told me mustard on the backs of your knees helps.................
    stay away from OJ oranges,most citrus,soda,ummm thats actually all I can remeber for now I had an ulcer once but it was almost 20 years ago
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    lay off greasy and spicy too
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    When I had stomach issues with severe burning (which turned out to just be too much acid), I was told to eat the blandest foods possible: baked chicken, plain rice, plain oatmeal, etc. No sodas/pops, no caffeine whatsoever (including chocolate), and to watch my food intake, as well.

I'm glad you went to the doc, though! Just take care of yourself!! :)
  • JeremiahStone
    JeremiahStone Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Good thing u checked with the doctor. I agree, stay with bland foods. Itll be hard but trust me, ulcers are not something to play with.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    sounds like solid advice. I'd suggest taking a notebook/pencil in tomorrow to write down the diet the doc suggests.
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options
    basically you should be on a bland diet, or what he may have referred to as the BRAT diet... which is bananas , rice, applesauce, and toast. (also used after nausea/vomiting). Basically you want to eat bland starchy foods.. plain baked or boiled chicken or turkey, rice, potatoes, plain pasta, milk, crackers, some veggies, especially cooked would be ok, like carrots or green beans. You want to avoid, like you said, anything citrusy, salty, or spicy, and want to avoid alcohol. Fatty foods, Caffeine --especially coffee and sodas, and chocolate can aggravate them sometimes as well. Hope you feel better soon!!

This would explain why I had some chocolate a little while ago, and promptly felt like dying afterwards. *sigh* this is going to be hard. I never ever cut foods out of my diet, even when I was losing weight. I always ate whatever I wanted, just in smaller portions. Well, I guess it's for the best :P Thank you! And everyone else!
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    stay away from OJ oranges,most citrus,soda,ummm thats actually all I can remeber for now I had an ulcer once but it was almost 20 years ago

Mustard on the backs of your knees helps? HUH? How the heck would that help...?
  • barbarabo
    Options
    you are welcome. Hopefully you won't have to give up chocolate for too long! Thats always tough. :-)
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options

Mustard on the backs of your knees helps? HUH? How the heck would that help...?

I think she was joking... but I wasn't sure so I didn't comment LOL
  • barbarabo
    Options
    oh, and they say peppermint too, though, depending on who you ask, it can sooth your stomach when you have indigestion, but I think its on the 'avoid list' for ulcers.