Anybody notice Eczema acting up with Weight loss?

Options
I've had Eczema all my life but it really didn't bother me TOO much like I'll have a Flare up every once in while. That was before I started losing weight. Ever since then I've had it non-stop and it's getting worst it seems. It's almost covering my arms now and bit of my lower back. I never had this problem before and Ive always been in this area so I know it's not the environment. It's so strange because I'm not eating all the trash I used to and I'm working out etc so I don't understand why it's acting WORST when my diet was horrible and barely worked out. Has anybody else who suffers from Eczema had this problem while they've been on their weight-lost journey and if so what do recommend?

Replies

• ApproachingDusk
    Options
    see your doctor, you might have been getting too much of one thing that was keeping it at bay. i noticed i started getting it around my mouth when i started losing. you might need more fatty acids or choose a different lotion?
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I wonder if the sweaty work outs are aggravating it? When my kids get flare ups I give them baths with bleach in the water. Not much - I call it swimming pool strength. I think it just knocks the bacteria back notch and lets the body have a chance to heal.

Good luck!
  • mznelle
    mznelle Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    OMG....it's horrible...i think i might see an immunologist to get a better understanding of what's going on...someone told me it might be eggs...since i've been tryng to eat one everyday...cheapest protein...eggs white only
    15989 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I find that stress and my eczema have a direct correlation. Have you taken on additional responsibilities, or does fitting in exercise cause stress? Yoga really helped me, as well as light therapy, however my excema only completely subsided when I got pregnant. My son is now 17 months old, and it hasn't returned. Perhaps checking hormones? Not sure if I am any help... Just wanted to share my experience, it is such a tough disease and impacts our self esteem in ways others will never understand.
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I know my problem has worsened BIG TIME with sweat. My skin stays in a "raw-irritated state"!! I even have to keep my hair longer to cover it up (unattractive on a 41 year old) and that adds to the itch!! A long time ago I heard it may be a gluten allergy. Or that now that we are eating better we are eating more whole grains & wheat. It is something to look into I have just been in denial. As to the mom who adds bleach to her kids' bathwater....I don't know that sounds painful. My doctor suggested minimizing soap, even suggested baby shampoo.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I have psoriasis, I've noticed a bit more P problems, but it's also starting winter months when its the worst anyways. I take Stelara and that clears it up, but unless you have killer ins. through a company it's a pain to get. It's by far the best thing i've ever taken for my psoriasis. It's just a shot every 3 months.
  • BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    See your doctor of course, but I have noticed a direct correlation to my fat intake personally. If I get enough fats, all is good. If I fall too far from my fat goal, all madness ensues. Stress, mood, excema, it's all bad.
  • SIMA80
    SIMA80 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have psoriasis and weight loss has done wonders to it....it is going away little by little with each pound I lose....I wonder why it is having just the opposite reaction when it comes to eczema...
  • MissHellsing
    MissHellsing Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I find that stress and my eczema have a direct correlation. Have you taken on additional responsibilities, or does fitting in exercise cause stress? Yoga really helped me, as well as light therapy, however my excema only completely subsided when I got pregnant. My son is now 17 months old, and it hasn't returned. Perhaps checking hormones? Not sure if I am any help... Just wanted to share my experience, it is such a tough disease and impacts our self esteem in ways others will never understand.

Yeah mine react to stress as well but I don't really have too much on me right now. Hmm...That's interest
  • MissHellsing
    Options
    I wonder if the sweaty work outs are aggravating it? When my kids get flare ups I give them baths with bleach in the water. Not much - I call it swimming pool strength. I think it just knocks the bacteria back notch and lets the body have a chance to heal.

Good luck!

That's an interesting trick to consider. Thanks
  • MissHellsing
    Options
    I'm glad to know I'm not the only on this has been bothering. I changed to Aveeno Eczema therapy creme and it seems to be helping a bit but I just started using it like 2 days ago so we shall see. Thanks everybody
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I know my problem has worsened BIG TIME with sweat. My skin stays in a "raw-irritated state"!! I even have to keep my hair longer to cover it up (unattractive on a 41 year old) and that adds to the itch!! A long time ago I heard it may be a gluten allergy. Or that now that we are eating better we are eating more whole grains & wheat. It is something to look into I have just been in denial. As to the mom who adds bleach to her kids' bathwater....I don't know that sounds painful. My doctor suggested minimizing soap, even suggested baby shampoo.

It probably depends on the severity of the breakout. We did it with the advice of the kid's pediatrician after trying some of the steroid creams. Neither of my kids gave any indication that it was stinging or anything.

ALSO:
    www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/eczema/news/20090427/bleach-baths-may-help-kids-with-ezcema?page=2
  • starkid120
    starkid120 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to know I'm not the only on this has been bothering. I changed to Aveeno Eczema therapy creme and it seems to be helping a bit but I just started using it like 2 days ago so we shall see. Thanks everybody

I myself do not have eczema, but my older sister and niece do. We just got back from Maui and they bought a lotion there that had kukui in it. I'm not sure what the name was (Google it maybe??), but it says it's good for eczema, sunburns and dry skin. My sis put it on my niece and it cleared up within a day.
  • HJayBee
    HJayBee Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had an intensely horrible reaction towards the end of my grad program.
    My doctor said it was stress.
    So with grad school full time + working 40 hours a week + forcing myself to workout every single day regardless of my schedule/attitude/need for sleep probably intensified my stress.

Write out a schedule & allow chill time
    or take up something that's more relaxing and still a good workout like yoga - or... (like me) Long distance running.
  • bellaluna79
    Options
    You might have a food allergy that is causing it. I am allergic to onions and the last time I lost weight I was on a veggie diet that put onions in everything so I broke out terribly. After I got tested I learned to watch for them and it encourages me to cook all my own food (because there are onions in pretty much everything). I have much fewer problems now, but I still use the Cerave soap and Gold Bond Chamomile lotion to make sure that the outside allergens don't make me flare up.
  • Fazer220
    Fazer220 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The same thing has happened to me too. I used to have Eczema in my teens and then it disappeared without trace. I have recently loss 28lbs over a five month period and now it's back all over my hands. I don't know for certain but I guess it may have something to do with hydration and not taking in enough fluids. I mainily use a cross trainer for cardio so my hands are contantly in contact with the machine handles and my hands just ooze with sweat. I intend to increase fluids and monitor from there on.