Black Bean Brownies

Options
Hi, guys! I made black bean brownies the other day - I was kind of disappointed. They were far to fudgey for my liking. Do y'all know any cake like brownie recipes that are healthy? Maybe even cake like black bean brownies? Thank ya muchly!

Replies

• MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    You can adjust them a bit if they are too fudgy... I modify mine all the time.
    You can also make them with red kidney beans and eat beets for different flavor/texture.
    Rocco DiSpirito has the beet recipe in his "now eat this" book --
  • eelamme
    eelamme Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of black bean brownies. PLEASE feel free to email me the recipe!
  • blitzattack72
    Options
    I have never heard of black bean brownies. PLEASE feel free to email me the recipe!

It's super easy! Get a box of brownie mix and a 15 ounce can of black beans. Put the beans in a strainer and wash them. I let them sit for five minutes then rinsed them off again. Now, you wash the can the beans came in, and put the beans back into it. Fill the can of beans with water so it just covers them. Pour the water and beans into a food processor and puree. After the beans are pureed, put them in a bowl with the brownie mix. Mix until combined, then cook them for the amount of time directed on the box.
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    I just made these last week! You can adjust sweetness for your taste. They were actually too "cakey" for my liking, lol.

2 c. black beans, pureed with 2 T. nonfat dry milk and 1/4 c. water
    1/4 c. brown sugar
    1/4 c. honey
    12 drops Stevia extract
    1/2 c. white whole wheat flour
    1/3 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1/4 tsp. baking soda
    2 oz. unsweetened chocolate (such as Bakers), finely chopped
    2 eggs
    1/4 c. applesauce
    1 1/2 T. vanilla extract (pure)

Blend together honey-stevia-eggs-applesauce-vanilla
    Stir in pureed beans
    Combine all dry ingredients together in separate bowl and stir into the wet ingredients; stir in chopped chocolate

Bake @ 325 for about 35 minutes in shallow nonstick pan. Test for doneness.

This would be really yummy with coconut butter or some kind of PB-cream cheese frosting.

I don't like my brownies super sweet, these were a "healthy" version of a recipe I adapted, but they did the trick.

Note:: They are better the 2nd day, sortof like sugar cookies.

Makes 10 brownies.
    171cal 29carb 4fat 6protein 6fiber 11iron
  • AZDee
    AZDee Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have been making these for years for my son who was a vegan, I saw the receipe on TV years ago and it simply called for the15 ounce can of black beans right out of the can and the mix, it seemed to work well for him....
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    http://www.hungry-girl.com/show/surprises-shockers-and-swaps-yum-yum-brownie-muffins-recipe

This recipe for brownies uses devil's food cake mix (spice cake is good, too!) and a can of pumpkin, yum-yum!!
  • eelamme
    eelamme Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Yea! Thanks!
  • deborahmorris
    deborahmorris Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Will be trying these later...thanks:flowerforyou:

Will let you know how my family likes then too :wink:
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lovelyiskey
    lovelyiskey Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Since this topic might draw those who are interested in black bean brownies i thought i'd add this.

Probably fudgey but seem delicious using real/raw & healthy ingredients.
    I just found these http://happyherbivore.com/recipe/vegan-blackbean-brownies/ I may vary on the ingredients but i'll let you guys know what i thought of them.
  • lovelyiskey
    lovelyiskey Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    THEY WERE GREAT! i actually wanting to eat all the "batter" and not cook anything it was like a delicious chocolate banana pudding. mmmm! I cooked them with half the sugar, spinkled some carob chips on top and froze them. I'd probably add full sugar in next time. but great over all and even better frozen.
  • xMissAprilx
    xMissAprilx Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Bump!
    Never heard of this before, sounds interesting though.
    How do you not taste beans though? Lol