90-10

Options
My husband has been trying to tell me over and over again that to lose weight, you have to think 90 percent is what you intake and 10 percent is what you burn. Diet is more important than Exercise. Don't get me wrong. Exercise is very important, however if you do not change your diet, then why do all the work. I have been consistently exercising for four whole months now, and have actually gained 5 pounds. So, I am trying out this new fad to see just how much I eat and exercise and see if what my husband says is actually true. Wish me luck!

Replies

• bjandjason
    bjandjason Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My husband has been trying to tell me over and over again that to lose weight, you have to think 90 percent is what you intake and 10 percent is what you burn. Diet is more important than Exercise. Don't get me wrong. Exercise is very important, however if you do not change your diet, then why do all the work. I have been consistently exercising for four whole months now, and have actually gained 5 pounds. So, I am trying out this new fad to see just how much I eat and exercise and see if what my husband says is actually true. Wish me luck!
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I agree with your hubby. 90% of this is diet. you can't outrun or outwork a s.h*t diet. Fasting is actually kind of fun once you get into it, you start to feel full and satiated on so much less, and realize how much humans are grossly overeating.

I am cheering for you!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    I continued to gain weight while exercising.

Problem was, I had no concept of how much work or exercise it took to burn off what I was eating.

I innocently thought a three mile walk would burn off a half a container of Breyer’s Mint Chocolate Chip or a whole package of Double Stuff.

Um…….nope.

Boy was I frustrated when I continued to gain.

It wasn’t until I started weighing and logging my food that I understood the correlation between what I ate and why I weighed what I did.

It was an eye opener.

Honey, you do this for you, not because someone is pushing you to, unless it really comes from a place of love and concern which touches something inside of you.

After three years of losing weight myself, I sat my husband, who is several years older than me, down and explained to him that I want him around and in good health as possible. I don’t want to be a “young” widow. I told him how much improving his health would mean to me, and that I wasn’t browbeating, but hoped he’d at least consider joining me.

A year later he is a new man, and I couldn’t be happier.

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    My dietician told me you can look at it any way you want to. If you want to lose 2 pounds a week, you can exercise 1000 calories worth a day.(well over 2 hours a day of high intensity aerobics for me at the time), or cut 1000 calories a day. Or you can cut 500 calories a day and exercise 500 calories a day. You just need to burn 1000 more calories than you eat.

Unfortunately, when I started exercising, not only did my health, my sleep, and my attitude improve, my appetite did too!
    I chose the third option, stuck to it and lost 60 pounds in 6 months. It was difficult, not hard, because I really wanted it. And it was so worth it!
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I think this is all great advice! Sadly, the OP posted in 2007 so here’s hoping it worked out for her even though no one was around back then to answer her. Pretty impressive zombie resurfacing though- 15 years might be a record! How does that happen????
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    Good catch @Sinisterbarbie1

😂😂😂
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread, but it makes sense when you understand the various components of your TDEE. Regular exercise has numerous health benefits, but for the vast majority of people it is a very small piece of the TDEE puzzle. Basically, unless you are a full time athlete, about 90-95% of your calorie requirements are BMR, TEF, and NEAT. For most people, exercise is only going to make up around 5-10% of your calorie needs. Just being alive provides for most of your total calorie needs.

components-of-total-daily-energy-expenditure-1%20(1)%20(1).png

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,089 Member
    Options
    Ok, I understood BMR (basal metabolic rate, aka just breathing and living), NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis, moving around during the day, cooking, walking to the couch, etc), and EAT (exercise activity thermogenesis, aka gym time). But I had to look up what you meant by TEF (thermic effect of food, aka digestion). Figured if I had to look it up, somebody else may not have understood also.