Vegetarian and Anaemic...

Options
I've been veggie for quite some time now (purely because i don't like the texture of meat - no animal rights reasons).

I've suffered with anaemia on and off for years - I'm starting a new job in a few weeks and its going to involve very long days and early mornings - a long commute. I've noticed that i'm bruising really easily, i'm constantly very very tired (9hours sleep just doesn't help at all - and i'm napping all weekend).

I take iron vitamins, multi vitamins and vitamin B but still struggling to control the anaemia.

I exercise fairly frequently.

If anyone can advise of ways to incorporate more iron into a 1200cal a day diet, it'd be hugely appreciated. Or tips to stop feeling so tired!

Replies

• kapkap1
    kapkap1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Nuts, seeds, and leafy greens like spinach. Make sure you get enough vitamin c as it helps with the absorption of iron.
  • wilmaln
    wilmaln Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Same symptoms, on and off, and a history as vegetarian. After some medical check-ups my doctor figured out that it wasn't so much the iron that I needed, but all the vitamins that help absorb the iron. It would be worth checking this out also in your case.
    Try and combine citric fruits (freshly made orange juices - vitamin C is lost at contact with air) and cereals. There are also specific natural multivitamins that provide both iron, and all the rest. And remember to eat as many legumes as possible!

Good luck with the new job.
  • divja
    Options
    i was prescribed Fesovit capsules for a similar reason, extreme tiredness, hair loss, excessive menstrual discharge etc. This one is a combination of iron and vitamins and folic acid. I dont know the US brand name for this, its manufactured and marketed by GlaxoSmithKline (GSK). Good luck.
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Blackstrap molasses! I like to put a teaspoon in my oatmeal or smoothies in the morning.
  • jumcadam
    jumcadam Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Spinach, beans, nuts and seeds. Oats are also good for fibre and iron.

Lots of greens too.

But mostly spinach, Popeye style.

:smile:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    A lot of people are saying spinach, but it really doesn't have as much iron as people think. A typo on packaging many years ago started that myth.
  • jumcadam
    jumcadam Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    A lot of people are saying spinach, but it really doesn't have as much iron as people think. A typo on packaging many years ago started that myth.

I don't want to be rude, but the OP was asking for veggie friendly iron suggestions.... where are yours? What would you suggest? :smile:

Not many non-meat/fish foods are as iron rich as the veggie friendly options, but spinach does contain iron, as mentioned in this article here:

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/diet_and_fitness/article7071479.ece