Eating out

Options
wistromm
wistromm Posts: 1 Member
edited November 2022 in Health and Weight Loss
I travel a lot for work and find it incredibly hard to make good choices in an airport or on the go. Any tips for eating out, packing food for work travel etc?

Replies

• CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I pack jerky for a snack.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,101 Member
    Options
    In general, most burger type joints offer a grilled option in addition to the fried versions, whether chicken or fish. In some cases I find the grilled version more tasty than the fried, in addition to being far lower calories.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    The airport can be tough, but look for the lower calorie options at fast food places. Most have their calories displayed so you can make a choice that fits your goal.

If you are staying at a hotel, call ahead of your trip and ask if they can provide a microwave and refrigerator in your room. Most larger chain hotels can do this.

Then, hit a grocery store and buy some fresh foods and/or microwave meals to have in your room. For example...instant oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, fruit, or cereal for breakfast. Sandwich fixings, soup, salad, for lunch. For dinner, many grocery stores have freshly prepared entrees that you can microwave.

Even if you still eat out once a day while on the road, it's better than three times a day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I used to travel a ton for work...about 25 weeks out of the year I would be traveling for business and did that for about 5-6 years.

I always made sure I had a hotel room with a refrigerator and microwave and for the most part I just shopped at the local grocery store and typically bought the freshly prepared microwavable foods in the deli, bought bread and sandwich meats, salad stuff, etc. If I was with a team, we would typically go out a couple of nights during the week but not every night as we tended to work very long hours when we were in the field traveling and usually wouldn't knock off until around 7PM or so...by that time, most of us were just ready to head back to the hotel and maybe get a workout in and eat whatever in the fridge.

Airports can be rough, but they are also not everyday...at least in my case I would only have to deal with the possibility of an airport meal on the way out and on my return trip which is only 2 meals out of an entire week so I never really sweat that too much.

The hardest part for me was that I was away from home and my family and working my tail off and often felt like I "deserved" a big greasy meal or whatever but it didn't take long for me to start piling on some weight that way and I just resigned myself to my cob salad or whatever.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Plan ahead.

Most fast-food places have some calorie-reasonable things. Look at menus in advance, and know what those are. While airport locations may be less flexible, many people don't realized that standard fast food joints often have choices or offer variations that aren't shown on those big menu boards overhead. Learn about those online. Example: If there's a grilled chicken sandwich, but the salads are all crispy chicken, see if you can order the sandwich no-bun, plus a side salad.

At regular sit-down restaurants, also check the menu in advance if you possibly can. Don't be afraid to ask politely about alternatives to things that are on the menu. Most places are more flexible than you might guess, and there's no penalty for asking. I've been doing this for years as a long-term vegetarian, asking if they can leave meat out of things (that it's clear from the menu the meat isn't all mixed in), asking if I can have a hard-boiled egg as a side when they have them on the menu in salads or sandwiches, asking if they can make me a plate of all the vegetable sides instead of ordering a main, etc. I'm not suggesting those specific subs to you, just giving examples. You might ask about leaving calorie-laden sauces off the dish, or serving them on the side, varying side options, etc. If your server does something special this way, tip them extra!

When I'm flying, I usually carry on some reasonable (and filling) snack items. For me, that's things like roasted soy beans, crispy chickpeas/broadbeans, mini Kind bars, dried fruit, etc. Your choices would vary, but think of these as meal/snack subs for the flight or in your hotel.

Many hotels now have those breakfast bars, but heavy on high-calorie sweet cereals, sweet rolls, juice, etc. - things I don't find filling, personally. Look around carefully before choosing. There's almost always oatmeal (sweeter than I like, but not terrible), hard-boiled eggs, yogurt (again, sweetened, but more nutrient-dense than donuts), fresh fruit, etc. I enjoy dairy, but rarely drink milk. If there's 2% or skim at these breakfasts, sometimes I do, or put a boatload in my coffee and heat it up, for a bit of extra protein.

Good advice from others about exploiting in-room fridge. Some hotels will let you use the breakfast area microwave or have hot water going you can use for dried soups, at other times of day. If you have room in your luggage, a small folding insulated bag can let you safely keep some food in a non-refrigerator room overnight. You can keep it cool with a carefully-placed cup of ice, but better is taking a small tight plastic container for the ice (you can put small clothing/toiletry items in it in your suitcase so it doesn't take up much extra room). Or, use a zip-lock bag for the food, and put it in a partly-filled hotel ice bucket. Hotels almost always have ice.

• karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    In addition to some of the other ideas already posted above… I like to go to Whole Foods and get a plate from the hot bar or make your own salads (load up on veggies).

I also seek out “healthier” options that help keep control of what I’m eating, especially where I can choose the toppings. Think the build your own poke bowl places, or even chipotle etc (with wise choices).

In the airport and even sometimes for lunch I will sometimes find a brunch style offering where I can get omelette or veggies with eggs.

Another option is Vietnamese pho noodle soup, filling and large size. Very satisfying for me. I can also find reasonable options for Thai and Indian food, smaller portions still satisfying since so flavorful.

If socializing or having drinks, I stick with light beer, nurse a glass of wine, or low cal cocktails (I like Malibu with Diet Coke and a lime).

I also saw Marriott properties mentioned, I often get breakfast in the lounge there. Scrambled Eggs, hard boiled eggs, fruit, etc. I am finding lounges to be open now. They also typically have decent gym, I’ll walk on treadmill and lift some weights, stay active and stop mindless evening snacking.

Good luck!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    The struggle is real! We want carbs and they want to sell us carbs!

This is a huge challenge, in general. And, it's hard to skip the comfort foods. Lot's of good advice above. I've paced up and down an airline terminal so many times while listening to a podcast. At least that means I'm not eating!

If you go for day trips: Pack your own lunch and snacks. It is easy to bring a couple of apples and a sandwich in a lunch bag, but try to find a good piece of fruit in an airport! When eating out, look at the salads and light dishes first.

Best of luck!