Very minor surgery: nope, no exercise for now.

Options
yirara
yirara Posts: 9,395 Member
Ugh.. so I had minor surgery yesterday afternoon: a huge lipoma was removed from my outer ankle. Cut turned out to be bigger than planned because it would not pop out in one go but fell apart. Pain is not really present but I still am not allowed to exercise for at least a week, possibly longer. Well.. wearing shoes is uncomfortable anyway because swelling. But yeah.. no exercising for at least a week, maybe longer. ARGH! Have to stay in at least for the weekend. I know it's nothing big, but still annoying.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,961 Member
    Options
    I'm glad it was removed and you can get all that stuff done around the house that (if you're anything like me) gets put off in deference to more fun stuff.

Chores, barefoot. Yes. If they must be done, let it be barefooted. :flowerforyou:
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Do exercises above the waist. There are a lot that you can do without using your legs.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    That stinks in the short run, even though I'm sure it's a good thing in the longer view. Wishing you speedy healing!
  • yirara
    Options
    Thanks a lot guys. Lets see when I'm able to exercise again. And yeah, it's good because this lipoma was on such an inconvenient place that I could not wear winterboots, mountainboots or safety shoes. So yeah, finally got rid of it.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Bench press, fly's, pullups, pulldowns, pullovers, bicep curls, skullcrushers, lateral raises, abs, etc...
  • yirara
    Options
    Bench press, fly's, pullups, pulldowns, pullovers, bicep curls, skullcrushers, lateral raises, abs, etc...

That assumes you have a gym at your disposal. And most of those exercises still put stress on your ankle because you need to stabilize.
  • Retroguy2000
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    That assumes you have a gym at your disposal. And most of those exercises still put stress on your ankle because you need to stabilize.
    Most need ankle support? Such as?

A bench and weights or kettlebells, sure.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

I'm not saying you need to do anything - that's up to you. But versions of many of those things can be done in higher-rep lower-weight versions using household items for resistance, while seated, with feet and ankles completely unweighted/unstressed. Will they be equally as effective as standard versions? No. But more effective than zero.

There was a point after laparoscopic abdominal surgery that I wasn't allowed to do much at all, but as soon as the surgeon said I could lift 5 pounds around the house during chores, I asked her when I could start lifting 5 pounds for reps. (A 2 liter bottle of water is about 5 pounds.) It's the first and only time in my life that I've done reps to boredom, rather than some fatigue/"in the tank" kind of objective. (That was by far not my only medical hiatus from exercise, either.)

Ab surgery is obvious different from ankle surgery, but the point is that something may be in reach.

Yirara, you're normally such a very dedicated, determined person, judging from your posts here. You work through so many difficulties with energy, patience and dedication. I feel like you're catastrophizing a little bit right now. I empathize with the impulse, if that's what's going on.

This will be only temporary, and you don't want to push your luck and re-injure, or slow down recovery. If it feels best to rest, do that. It'll be OK. You won't lose lots, and you'll recover pretty quickly when you're able to sensibly ramp back up again.
  • Retroguy2000
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Yeah you don't have to do anything. Call it a deload week :-) But if you want to, there are options.

Dips on a firm table are another option, no gear required. Pushups while keeping your injured ankle off the ground. The list goes on.
  • yirara
    Options
    Just a quick update: Not doing anything for a while IS fine. It's a shame though as there's been a bit of surprise snow and I would have loved to go hike in the nearby hills (ok, we call them mountains)
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Hope you're feeling better. I had a huge one on my left shoulder blade years ago. It was the size of a softball. Though those are mostly benign, they still hurt and can cause complications. The cruddy part is I had that one taken off and grew another one around two years later that's the size of a golf ball on my lower neck (near the spine). I've had that one for around 15 years. I might finally get that one off this next year.
  • yirara
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Hope you're feeling better. I had a huge one on my left shoulder blade years ago. It was the size of a softball. Though those are mostly benign, they still hurt and can cause complications. The cruddy part is I had that one taken off and grew another one around two years later that's the size of a golf ball on my lower neck (near the spine). I've had that one for around 15 years. I might finally get that one off this next year.

Yeah, my body is full of them. Mostly small ones. Bump my shin bone, get a lipoma. This one developed after spraining my ankle a bit too often. It wasn't too big, like 5x3cm and not that thick, but I just couldn't wear shoes that covered the ankle, and now I'm living in a country that actually has winters, depending on global warming. Thus low converse might be a bit too cold. I still have to get this done on the other side but it's smaller there, maybe 3x3 or so and it could probably still wait for a year or so. On the other hand, doctors like to do those as private, cosmetic thing and not on public health insurance so better get it done now as long as this surgeon still remembers it's an insurance job.
  • yirara
    Options
    Oh, I have a new one! I had an accident nearly two weeks ago: I somehow slipped in the rain and fell into a cattle grid. Then fell on my nose. Was left with a massive bruise on my shin. Now I feel a new lipoma developing there. Ugh! This one will be big.

Have been running again, very carefully. I only feel strain on the sutures when I stretch my foot like a ballerina. So I make careful steps. It's probably not a good idea but I really got crazy not doing anything.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,961 Member
    Options
    :lol:
    I really got crazy not doing anything.

^ I hear you on this. If I don't exercise my head goes into very dark weird places.

• yirara
    Options
    :lol:
    I really got crazy not doing anything.

^ I hear you on this. If I don't exercise my head goes into very dark weird places.

*hugs*

I just continuously jump up, run somewhere in my rather wee flat, wonder why I did that, go back to my sofa and continue doing nothing useful :D
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Healing is soooo important. Don't screw it up by going against medical directions. Still have stitches? Don't mess it up. Take the time to binge watch all your fav shows, play around on laptop, gaming, read. Surf the Net for good recipes. Paint. Elevation and ice is your friend especially on foot surgery :wink:
  • yirara
    Options
    So basically, after two weeks of sutures (I mentioned to surgeon that i have EDS and healing might be a wee bit slower) I got them out today - and did nothing. I guess I better not mention that I ran a few times over the past few days. Guess when the other side is due we can probably do with a week of sutures. But first I'll let this one heal properly and then decide whether it's worth doing the other one.
  • georgemaltson
    georgemaltson Posts: 1 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Wishing you speedy healing!
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I had wondered about the EDS based on a few things you've said. Glad it sounds like you're on the mend!