Zumba fun?

Options
Ok, so I've seen the commercials, and it looked like fun, so I bought the cd's and OMG. Zumba kicked my butt..lol Has anyone done Zumba? Am I the only one that can't see my lil fat toes moving that fast? Part of my problem is my knee arthritis, it makes me so stiff and part is the extra weight. I guess what I'm asking is, if I stick with it, wil this eventually get easier or is this basically for the more advanced people?

Replies

• JIsh09
    JIsh09 Posts: 158
    Options
    I do Zumba every night! It kicks my butt after the first 15 mins..Lol!
  • Leanne_fat2fab
    Leanne_fat2fab Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Not only is it fun but it WORKS!!!! I do it every single day no matter what the circumstance. It really is amazing!!!
  • debgcook
    Options
    Yes it gets easier and I love it. Are you doing on smooth floor? If so good. If you are doing on carpet, invest in a smooth shoe for better movement and to protect your knees.
    You do burn lots of calories if you workout 60 min and then do the toning for 15. :happy:
    I would love to get the DVD but so expensive. I go to classes 2 nites a week and do other kinds of workout at home. Keep it up.
  • buckaroos30
    buckaroos30 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I do it on the WII and It's hard and I have found that I have no rythem! lol just do as much as you can you are still moving that body!
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    I have done it. It kicked my butt. I am going to start again soon.
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    The more you do it, the easier it gets to follow the moves. I LOVE it!!!
  • vdegraff
    vdegraff Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Zumba is awesome. It doesn't even feel like exercise.
  • connell1981
    Options
    Hey! I advocate that you try a live class! I find that Zumba is more fun in a group with a live instructor! It does get easier with each class you attend! LOL ~ it normally takes 3-4 classes sometimes to get the hang of the dances. A Zumba workout is just plain AWESOME... I lost 80 pounds while participating in Zumba fitness classes over a period of two years. I love this form of exercise so much that I decided to become a licensed instructor a little over a year ago.

Soooooo..... continue to Ditch the workout and join the PARTY!!!!!! Find ya a live class and have a blast ;)
  • DWilbanks
    DWilbanks Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Hey! I advocate that you try a live class! I find that Zumba is more fun in a group with a live instructor! It does get easier with each class you attend! LOL ~ it normally takes 3-4 classes sometimes to get the hang of the dances. A Zumba workout is just plain AWESOME... I lost 80 pounds while participating in Zumba fitness classes over a period of two years. I love this form of exercise so much that I decided to become a licensed instructor a little over a year ago.

Soooooo..... continue to Ditch the workout and join the PARTY!!!!!! Find ya a live class and have a blast ;)

LOL no way.... white girl zumba'ing here... can you say no rhythm? I can do it in my own home and feel a little less dorky if no one sees me...lol
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I am as white as white can be, I shake my *kitten* at Zumba and don't care what anyone thinks, and people say to me I must be part Latina cause I'm so good at the moves!

Seriously, everyone is dancing like a dork in a Zumba class, but that's why it's fun. Let go and give into the rhythm.
  • 2gabbee
    2gabbee Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Try taking Zumba Gold classes its the same songs & dance routines low impact aerobic & slower pace for beginners & seniors. I have bad knees. I attend at my local parks & recreation facility for $5.00 drop in or $16 a month. Check also into Aqua Zumba which is water aerobics. Both fun. Can't wait for each class. Great friendly people. Check zumba.com put in your zip code for classes in your area. Tapes are great I have them also classes you get so much more out of it & meeting new people in your area is a bonus. Enjoy, you will get hooked!!
  • connell1981
    Options
    LOL ~ i hear you loud and clear... not the first time I have heard your words. I have two rules in my studio that I tell all my students:

Rule 1. What happens on the floor stays on the floor. YOU are at your Zumba class for you! It is your workout ~ no one is there to watch you or judge you.

Rule 2. Zumba fitness is about the music and how the music moves you! If you can walk on your two feet, then you can dance. It normally takes three or four classes before you begin feeling comfortable with the steps provided by your instructor; however, you will notice that there are students who are doing the moves but differently.... that is the beauty of Zumba. Move to how the music moves you... the key thing is "TO MOVE". There are normally high/low variations that can be done with each dance set. Just share with your instructor that you feel like you have the "left foot syndrome"... he/she should help you feel at ease about what to expect in the class!

Go, enjoy!
  • Ghlt4
    Ghlt4 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    When I first started the zumba DVDs, the 20 min workout nearly killed me..lol! I couldn't keep up with the steps. I thought I would never be able to do it. I have been doing it 3 times a week for 6 weeks, and can keep up with all the moves. I even find the 45 min one no problem!!! Stick with it, you can do it. It's a great workout.
  • DWilbanks
    Options
    Thanks ALL!!! It really is good to hear that most of you felt the same way when you first started the Zumba. I actually did love it and think that it is something I can stay with because to me it feels more like I'm dancing, and not actually doing a workout. I think I'll just keep shakin what my momma gave me, and maybe even go to a class or two. The water Zumba sounds really fun and to be honest I didn't even know that they had those, so again, thanks everyone!!
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    I do zumba for wii all the time! Its great fun! Was very hard when i fisrt started! I had no rhythm what so ever! I was all over the place haha! Now i havebeen constantly doing it for a month or soo and im used it, im alot better than before! I love the 45 mins session! Gets me proper hot and sweaty and i burn over 700 cals!!! :D
  • brynniebo
    brynniebo Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    luv, luv zumba! I do zumba three times a week and believe me it does get easier.... I too have bad knees so I substitute some of the moves that bother my knees. As our instructor says the most important part is to just keep moving...... make sure your shoes allow you to slide...... this will help reduce stress on the knees.....It kicks my butt (literally) but love it. stay with it.....it is an awesome way to get into shape!
  • DWilbanks
    Options
    Well I was trying to do it on carpet last night and that didn't work. I'll have to take it into the living room with the hard wood floor and have another go at it. But other than the out of breath, and sweating, and panting for air.. lol it didn't seem like exercise at all
  • connell1981
    Options
    Well I was trying to do it on carpet last night and that didn't work. I'll have to take it into the living room with the hard wood floor and have another go at it. But other than the out of breath, and sweating, and panting for air.. lol it didn't seem like exercise at all

YIKES!!!!!! Be very, very, very, very careful when participating in Zumba exerciese on carpet! It can really damage your knees! Use sliders on your feet (take the tube part of an old sock and place it over the ball of your foot) to help reduce friction with movement. A solid covered surface (lanolium, tile, etc) is much more preferred. Hard wood floors are even better (if you have them).