Kelp for thyroid

Options
Hello, has anyone tried Kelp suppliments to help with regulating thyroids?

iv been advised to try it because im borderline underactive thyroid and this could have contributed to my weight gain..?

Replies

• FireMama_24
    FireMama_24 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have never tried it thinking about changing to it becuase I have a huge underactive thyroid. But I have known a few people that have and it works wonders for them.
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I have underactive thyroid and was told by the girl in the health food shop that I should not take kelp - I would check with your dr first. Found this on internet:

"Question: What About Iodine and Kelp Supplements?

Answer: While some herbalists and vitamin proponents recommend iodine tablets or kelp supplements (which are high in iodine) for people with thyroid problems, you need to be extremely careful about any decision to take iodine or kelp supplements if you are on thyroid hormone replacement therapy.
    The thinking behind taking iodine or kelp is that in many parts of the world, goiters and thyroid disease are related to iodine deficiency. In the U.S. and other developed countries, iodine deficiency is not very common anymore, due to the addition of iodine to salt -- iodized salt -- and other food products. In fact, the most common forms of thyroid disease found in the U.S. -- autoimmune thyroid diseases like Graves' Disease or Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- have nothing to do with iodine deficiency at all. Actually, thyroids are extremely sensitive to iodine, and you need to be careful about adding too much iodine to the diet as it can irritate or aggravate the thyroid. Most doctors say not to worry about some iodized salt, or the iodine present in a food item such as an occasional sushi dinner. But even many prominent alternative doctors such as Andrew Weil and Stephen Langer advise against taking iodine or kelp supplements for people with autoimmune problems."
  • greeksinger
    Options
    definitely check with your doctor, first!!! especially if you are already having some form of medicinal therapy for your thyroid.

iodine is a tricky thing.
  • ambercholtz
    ambercholtz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Oh please talk to your doctor first!! Kelp is high in iron! I have an underactive thyroid too but I do not have to take hormones because I am considered still in the "normal range." My metabolic rate is very slow and the only weight loss program that has helped is Michael Thurmonds 6 Week Body Makeover. Plus it somehow is seeming to reduce the size of my fluid filled cyst in my thyroid. Weight loss is hard work and difficult to get your metabolism up, however if you cannot get the weight off then pay for the program I am using.
    The surgeon that gave me my biopsy told me not to take kelp supplements. It just takes more work to get your metabolism going, don't take thyroid supplements if you do not need them.
  • bassettpig
    bassettpig Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have thyroid issues also and have read that while kelp is touted as "good for your thyroid" b/c of the iodine it contains, most of us nowadays are NOT suffering from an iodine deficiency due to the almost universal use of iodized salt. If you stop to consider how common sodium (salt) is in your diet, it doesn't make sense that you would be deficient, at least in most cases.

My 2 cents, but don't take my word for it, do some research of your own and see what you can learn. One of your most important weapons in dealing w/thyroid problems is being well informed, as most docs will not go beyond prescribing the standard synthetic replacement hormone, which works well for some but certainly not all. Check the library and the internet thoroughly and maybe start by googling "Stop the Thyroid Madness" for a useful site.

Best wishes!
  • haileemou
    Options
    I take it along with selenium, zinc, cod liver oil & magnesium. I have no idea if it works for me as i take hormones and iron anyway too
  • haileemou
    Options
    "Stop the Thyroid Madness" for a useful site.

I used this to get my stupid doctor to listen to me - its VERY good!!!!! Id still be very sick without it!
  • mrdee555
    Options
    I use t3 for thyroid just 25mcg-50mcg per day if you can get your hands on them.