Coach NYLA's Healthy Holiday APPLE PIE

Options
This is a really tastey F;OUR FREE and healthy pie I make during the holiday season. I have also done this same recipe but used peaches in place of the apples. You can fill it with whatever fruit you like. Apple seems to work best and the second is pumpkin.

Tip: For a great breakfast holiday meal, have a slice with 1/2 cup of low fat cottage cheese to add additional protein. I do this and a cup of coffee. Great to enjoy on your back lanai or porch when it's cooler. Enjoy!

Ingredients:

Bob's Red Mill Oat Bran - Oat Bran, Plain, Dry, 1 cup uncooked
Apple - Granny Smith, 2-3 medium, peeled, cored and sliced
Earth Balance - Natural Buttery Spread - Original, 6 tbsp*
Spices - Allspice, ground, 1 tsp
Wholesome Sweeteners - Organic Blue Agave, 3 tsp. (equals 1 tbsp.) (optional)
*(this is the best tasting product to use next to actual butter)

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.

Place 3/4 cup of the oat bran in a medium size bowl and add 1/2 tsp. of the allspice, 1 tsp. of the agave nectar (optional) and 4 tbsp. of the Earth Balance Buttery Spread. Mash together to make a mock dough. The buttery spread will eventually coat all the oat bran and spices. Roll dough into a ball and flatten like a patty.

Take a pie pan about 8 inches wide and place the oat bran patty in the middle and start pressing down, working the oat bran dough towards the edges of the pan. Be a little patient to get the feel of getting coverage over the bottom and edges of the pie pan.

Place pie pan with dough in the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes or until it begins to brown a little.

While the shell is baking, take a medium sauce pan and place peeled, cored and sliced apples in it along with 1 tbsp. of buttery spread, 1/4 tsp. of the all spice and 2 tsp. of the agave nectar and just a tbsp. of water and put on medium heat. Allow to come to a simmer cooking the apples until they start to soften just a bit. Take off the burner and take out pie shell. Place semi cooked apples in the pie shell and spread out evenly.

In small bowl, take remaining oat bran (1/4 cup), remaining allspice (1/4 tsp.) and remaining Earth Balance Buttery Spread (1 tbsp) and mash and mix together. Make little crumbles, like a crumb cake and sprinkle the oat bran crumbles on top of the pie.

Place back in the oven for about 18 minutes. Take out and let stand/cool for about 15-20 minutes before serving.

The longer it sits, the better it tastes.

Serves: 6

Replies

• Heather3186
    Options
    Yum! Thanks for posting!
  • hotpigg
    hotpigg Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm.. I was just looking for a apple pip res for after the apple picking adventure this week end. Thanks
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    wow, bump!
  • swinson
    Options
    Thanks for introducing me to this site! So far I am enjoying it and realizing that I have not been making good food choices!:wink: