Resetting your metabolism

Options

Replies

• souki19
    Options
    i found that MFP calories intake are pretty accurate. I mean most website outthere get the TDEE for the week and won't consider the days that the person is just sitting down and/or not working out.On the other hand, MFP gives all the options, if i don't workout somedays i usually eat about 1245 calories , but on the days that i do workout , i usually burn about 500-800 calories , so i eat about 1745-2045. So the key is to keep NETTING calories at a certain level. in addition , one day a week, i eat little bit more calories( about 200-300) to help increase my metabolism.
    remember this isn't a sprint , it is a marathon :) (just saying)
    Edit: in my head it made sense, i hope the way i wrote it down makes sense too :happy:
  • Jess5825
    Options
    bump
  • lynn9
    lynn9 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Opinions - on which Activity Multiplier to use to calculate TDEE. Here's the options:

Step 2: Calculate You Activity Multiplier

Pick your activity level from below and multiple it against your RMR:

Sedentary (e.g., you do no exercising and have a desk job) = 1.2
    Lightly active (e.g., you participate in light exercise or sports 1 to 3 times per week) = 1.375
    Moderately active (e.g., you participate in moderate exercise or sports 3 to 5 times per week) = 1.55
    Very active (e.g., you train hard 6 to 7 per week in exercise and/or sports) = 1.725
    Extremely Active (e.g., you exercise or play sports hard everyday & have physical job or 2X day training, i.e. marathon, contest etc.)

I used the Activity Multiplier of 1.55 to calculate my TDEE. My workout schedule is:

M-F 4:30 am - Aero Pilates Performer 30 minutes
    M W F - 4:30 pm Cardio 20 - 40 minutes based on type
    T TH SA Weight/Strength Training 30 - 45 minutes. Following Body For Life. One week two upper and one lower body; next week two lower and one upper body workouts.

I sit at a desk job but get up and move around for a few minutes each hour.

Think I qualify for the Very Active multiplier?
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Wow...This is very helpful. I just did my TDEE and it gave me a daily caloric intake of 3171 for my activity level. I have been eating less than half that most days. Gonna ramp up the food intake in the next few weeks to see if I can escape this slump(plateau) I am in. Thanks for the thread.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Opinions - on which Activity Multiplier to use to calculate TDEE. Here's the options:

Lightly active (e.g., you participate in light exercise or sports 1 to 3 times per week) = 1.375
    Moderately active (e.g., you participate in moderate exercise or sports 3 to 5 times per week) = 1.55
    Very active (e.g., you train hard 6 to 7 per week in exercise and/or sports) = 1.725
    Extremely Active (e.g., you exercise or play sports hard everyday & have physical job or 2X day training, i.e. marathon, contest etc.)

I used the Activity Multiplier of 1.55 to calculate my TDEE. My workout schedule is:

T TH SA Weight/Strength Training 30 - 45 minutes. Following Body For Life. One week two upper and one lower body; next week two lower and one upper body workouts.

this is where it kinda gets tricky and takes some trial and error. you can try using 1.55 monitor your weight for 2 weeks or so and determine if that was too high or not
  • lynn9
    Options
    I've been reading the message boards about eating back exercise calories and netting. I never paid much attention to my Net Calories. I ran a report for the last 90 days and I'm shocked to see that most days I've been WAY under - I mean there are days that my net was 200-300. This explains a lot and likely the reason that I've been gaining weight big time. So, after researching I went back to my Goals and let MFP make the calorie decision and I'm going to focus on my net calories and see what happens for the next two weeks. I figure since my exercise varies daily I'm already calorie shifting. If I don't lose anything then I'll bump my goal calories manually to my TDEE - 200 to start.

The Jillian Michaels article I mentioned was from one of her e-newsletters a few years back. I don't have the URL any longer but I did copy the info and saved it on my hard drive. I'll pull it up and post it.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Maybe you entered something wrong when you started your MFP account. I would look into it, and if it still doesn't make sense I would contact the site. The site is not designed to put you into starvation mode.
  • Stormyyy
    Stormyyy Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this Lynn and for the site to work out my tdee, i for one found it very interesting and made me realise if it's right i deffo don't eat enough and has given me the encouragement to up my daily intake a little at a time and besides i have nothing to lose as i'm not losing at the minute so it's worth a try. Thanks again :)
  • wozzy38
    wozzy38 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Love to see if this works for you!
  • Stormyyy
    Stormyyy Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Watch this space Wozzy hehe Will let you know, fingers n toes crossed for me :)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    But you have to be careful. MFP gives you a TDEE without exercise, which is why we get to eat our exercise calories. It serves as motivation to work out! YOu get to eat more and you get "good job"s from your friends.

Other websites give you a TDEE that includes your exercise which means you do NOT get to eat your exercise, and you better do them or you're eating more than you should.
  • lynn9
    Options
    Rachel6503 - I agree with you. If I make the decision to switch to TDEE I'll subtract the Activity Multiplier. So I don't 'double dip' here. I'm also going to stick with Netting :smile:

Thinking this over last night on WW you get activity points to use or NOT use. If you don't use them you lose more weight. That was the mindset I had (up until yesterday) on how to approach MFP. So when I would complete my entry for the day here and got the warning that I wasn't eating enough calories (mind you - I had three meals and two snacks) I just ignored it thinking I would lose an extra pound. Running the Nutrition report was a huge eye opener. Having so many days at Net 200, 300, 400 etc. I clearly set myself up in starvation mode. Let's hope I can get myself reset and back to fat burning mode.

Exercise is not a problem for me as I genuinely like it. If I go without it for a few days I don't feel right and get restless. Thanks for sharing the information and warnings - I appreciate it.

Any other suggestions on getting out of starvation mode and into fat burning mode - bring it!! cause I definitely need it....
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Rachel6503 - I agree with you. If I make the decision to switch to TDEE I'll subtract the Activity Multiplier. So I don't 'double dip' here. I'm also going to stick with Netting :smile:

But you do have to use some kind of multiplier though to account for non-exercise activity (like cleaning, working, digesting, etc). This is why MFP tells you to select your activity level based on no exercise and then it uses slightly different multipliers than the other sites. If you want to earn and eat exercise calories just use MFP, set your guided goal to zero weight loss, the number it will give you is your TDEE without exercise, then you can go back through your goals and ste them using the custom feature and just subtract your 300 manually. (OR just tell MFP You want to lose a half pound a week and it'll subtract 250, this is what I do when I'm trying to lose weight).
  • lynn9
    Options

But you do have to use some kind of multiplier though to account for non-exercise activity (like cleaning, working, digesting, etc). This is why MFP tells you to select your activity level based on no exercise and then it uses slightly different multipliers than the other sites. If you want to earn and eat exercise calories just use MFP, set your guided goal to zero weight loss, the number it will give you is your TDEE without exercise, then you can go back through your goals and ste them using the custom feature and just subtract your 300 manually. (OR just tell MFP You want to lose a half pound a week and it'll subtract 250, this is what I do when I'm trying to lose weight).

Thanks Rachel!! That's really good information :happy:
  • lynn9
    Options
    Status update: Weighed in this morning 1.3 lbs lighter!! Getting better at Netting - still not equal yet (under). That's with three meals, two snacks and a glass of wine! :drinker: Can't quite fit in the evening snack which would help. I'm just not hungry an hour before bed. I need to adjust my habits and mental mindset of eating certain foods in certain portion sizes. Working on increasing portion sizes, i.e. 200 calorie snack instead of 100 (more peanut butter - YUM!!) etc.

So, I'm hoping to continue to switch my metabolism from fat storing to fat burning. Calorie Switching will be a no brainer by default due to workouts - one day cardio; one day weights. I need to stay focused on NETTING! My calorie burn from weights isn't much for the workout but is a big difference in the long run having more muscle.

@Rachel6503 - you really helped with resetting my MFP calculations - THANKS!
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    bumpity!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

It might, but then you would not log any extra exercise calories using this method. Given the fact that you have a desk job, you are probably better in the "lightly active" category (most people don't realize how little they move most of the day).

Ultimately, it doesn't make any difference--your body will keep track 24 hours a day. Regardless of "category", if you are in a deficit, you'll lose, if not you won't.
  • lynn9
    Options
    Here's the info from the Jillian Michaels article I mentioned in my original post. Sorry, I no longer have the URL.

"...Many people suffer from the backlash that can result from years of yo-yo diets. What happens is this: When people let their calorie levels drop too low, their body's survival mechanism kicks in, lowering their metabolic set point (or basal metabolic rate). When they go off that crash diet and begin to eat normally again, they gain back any weight lost — plus. And what follows that? Yup, another crash diet.
    The cycle is often very frustrating, but it CAN be reversed with time, consistency, and patience. What you'll need to do is the exact opposite of what we call shocking the metabolism; you have to allow your body time to adapt to a new metabolic set point — by being consistent, you'll force your body to adapt.
    Okay, here's the game plan: First, set your daily caloric intake at 12 calories per pound of body weight. (For example, my weight is 117; 117 x 12 = 1,404 calories a day.) Then stick like glue to that calorie allowance for at least one to two months, depending on your metabolism. This will allow your body time to readjust your metabolic set point accordingly.
    Now, here's the other part of the equation: The absolute best way to pump up your metabolism is to EXERCISE. You'll be burning calories not only during your workout but also up to 48 hours after — all the while increasing lean muscle tissue, which speeds the metabolism over the long term. Aim for five hours of exercise a week if possible, but no fewer than three hours a week.
    Get more fitness tips from Jillian Michaels.
    Last Updated: 11/16/2009"
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    bump!!!! interesting!!!
  • spudsmum
    Options
    Bumping this ... very interesting ...

According to Gillian I need 2520 to "reset" my motabilism ... WOW that is a lot of calories!!!! :laugh: