any mfp writers out there?

Options
chanstriste13
chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
i came across someone trying to write a novel, and that got me wondering how many more aspiring writers are out there in mfp land. does anyone want to start a guild or sorts? i'm figuring we can try and help each other out with deadlines, writer's block, and encourage each other to get it written! any takers?

Replies

• SlimSadieG
    SlimSadieG Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    BUMP.
  • edonald774
    edonald774 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hiya,
    I'm not sure I could call myself a writer, more of a procastenator :0)

Have written some short stories and did NANOWRIMO last year and managed a 50000 word piece. I'd love to write an actual novel, but I spend more time wanting to write than actually doing the work.

Terrible, terrible writer!
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    What were you thinking of doing?
  • chanstriste13
    Options
    Have written some short stories and did NANOWRIMO last year and managed a 50000 word piece. I'd love to write an actual novel, but I spend more time wanting to write than actually doing the work.

impressive! i just got wind of this recently and i think i'm going to give it a go. 50,000 words....rock it!
  • JZacharyPIke
    JZacharyPIke Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've written a couple short stories, and I'm working on my novel. I'd be up for it.
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    i'm in. about 400 pages into a novel and haven't touched it in a week. but it definitely works into MFP because you have to balance the time spent between the two if you're going to exercise. and if you don't exercise, your *kitten* is probably going to expand to match the proportions of your chair. that's been my experience, anyway.

how would we do this? i'd be happy to start up a blog and people can post in the comments.

thoughts?
  • chanstriste13
    Options

not too sure yet - i don't know how many people would want their ideas just thrown up onto an open forum! i guess i'm thinking along the lines of an accountablity support - maybe aiming to write a chapter every week or two and reminding each other to keep at it - things like that...
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I don't have time to write fiction, I'm a journalist :laugh:
  • KitCatMcG
    KitCatMcG Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chanstriste13
    Options
    nanowrimo is coming up - we could all give that a go, too... (scary!)
  • chanstriste13
    Options

kudos to you! i'm all fluff here...
  • noexcuses1218
    Options

HA! *snort* that was my funny for the morning! thank you!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I'm in for sure. I write mostly fantasy'ish stuff, often rooted in some sort of ancient mythology or a twist on some classic horror/supernatural trope. I need lots of prodding to keep going with my work, though, or else things just keep piling up and accumulating inside my head.
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options

impressive! i just got wind of this recently and i think i'm going to give it a go. 50,000 words....rock it!

I've done Nano twice, and am preparing my third one. . .would love to get into print, but am too terrifeid LOL Would love someone unbiased and willing to critique my novel honestly. . .tell me if it sucks or not LOL
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options

not too sure yet - i don't know how many people would want their ideas just thrown up onto an open forum! i guess i'm thinking along the lines of an accountablity support - maybe aiming to write a chapter every week or two and reminding each other to keep at it - things like that...

Create a yahoo group, that way it's closed to anyone but those who are part of it
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I have written a collection of short stories but have not had time to finish them. In a year or two I will definitely be back at it. Would love to someday write something on weightloss.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Me! Me!

I run a writer's group in town, but it's brand new and struggling to get off the ground. I could use all the help I can get! I have started four separate novels and am getting ... nowhere fast. lol
  • noexcuses1218
    Options

Create a yahoo group, that way it's closed to anyone but those who are part of it

I love my yahoo groups! The only drawback to that would be that new MFP members wouldn't know about it and the group might miss out on fresh blood (pun intended). Would this be a group to talk weight loss and writing or just writing?
  • Krull_the_WarriorKing
    Options
    I used to be a reporter.. now I'm the editor... so I boss around the reporters... I have to say that's a lot more fun.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I love my yahoo groups! The only drawback to that would be that new MFP members wouldn't know about it and the group might miss out on fresh blood (pun intended). Would this be a group to talk weight loss and writing or just writing?

You could post a thread once a week or so inviting new members to join the Yahoo! group.