Clothing optional (it's an exercise thread!!)

Options
Is it better to workout fully covered so you can sweat more or is there a risk of overheating? I've always heard the more you sweat then the more calories you burn. I've also heard of people having heart attacks because they were jogging in sweats on hot, sunny day. Just curious to what extent working out fully covered is safe and how do you know if you should layer the sweats or not.

Replies

• Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    sweat =/= calorie burn. It's a myth. You will only dehydrate yourself, which will bleed off some short-term water weight but do no real good in terms of calorie burn.

Interestingly enough, a study was done (I'll have to dig for the results) demonstrating that one of the reasons swimming is such a good cardio exercise is because it's done in water that's BELOW body temperature. Your body has to burn extra calories to keep you from going hypothermic, which increases your burn rate substantially while you're in the water.
  • jonniemarie1
    jonniemarie1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    personally, i like to be as least covered as possible... i usually wear leggings and a tank top. If i go outside for a run and its chilly i'll wear a sweater, but I would never put on more clothing than needed just to sweat more... I find it uncomfortable and I would get too hot during cardio, so it would inhibit my abilities in whatever i'm doing... so I guess its up to you... but don't go running outside with a heavy sweatshirt and long sleeves underneath meanwhile its like 85 degrees outside. Thats just dumb in my opinion lol
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Is it better to workout fully covered so you can sweat more or is there a risk of overheating? I've always heard the more you sweat then the more calories you burn. I've also heard of people having heart attacks because they were jogging in sweats on hot, sunny day. Just curious to what extent working out fully covered is safe and how do you know if you should layer the sweats or not.

Being covered up can actually help keep your body cooler. Depending on the material it can trap the sweat inside and make a moisture barrier. (Military Uniforms were designed with this in mind) I would rather be comfortable then extra few calories you'd most likely gain. I have seen sweat suits you can buy to run and work out in.

Looking up the sweat/sauna suits they are mainly to shred extra water to lower your water weight.
  • JennysMan
    Options
    The correct answer to this question is like everything else in life....a happy medium. Sure, it's good to sweat, and the extra heat generated does equate to extra calories burned, but you don't want to do anything drastic. Your body needs to cool while exercising (hence, why you sweat), and you need to allow it to do that too. Unless you are exercising outdoors in cold weather, short sleeves and shorts are typically appropriate.
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Dandersonjr32
    Options
    When you first start working out, covered up. After a couple of months, less and less clothing.

It's our natural inclination to show off our hard work.

As to body temperature and moisture barriers, I'm sure the difference is negligible. The colder it is, the more calories you burn, but not by a lot.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I cant stand to be all covered up when i exercise,I wear long shorts and a tank top. I dont really think what you wear to exercise matters beyond comfort and ease of movement
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    The only reason I ask is because I always have trouble changing gears when the season changes. I live in the South. Last week, it was beginning to cool off, but this week it has warmed back up again. Subsequently, though, I think I have been overdressing for my workouts (sweat pants and long sleeve tee). This question came to me last night because I was kind of regretting my clothing choice when I went out for my walk. Normally, I would just go in shorts and a short-sleeve tee or even a tank top.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    no advice on amount of clothing when exercising (apart from dont over heat), but it's a good idea to make sure you can stay warm after wards
  • Shrekkk
    Options
    I like to wear a sweatshirt to soak up the sweat. I hate the feeling of sweat on my skin. I'ts not necessarily a heavy sweatshirt, but I insist on long sleeves, and long yoga-type pants. I have had no adverse effects so far doing it this way.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Go for 100 % cotton when it is hot. Exercising in polyester, or polyester blends is like exercising wearing plastic wrap. Wear thin cotton, with heavier cotton in reserve for when it is cooler.

In winter 100% wool keeps you warm even while wet, so this is a better below zero choice than cotton, which gets clammy and cold. If you can get them, Mark and Spencer knitted wool undies are just wonderful. Also wonderful are those thin merino wool t-shirts that Costco sells. Wish they would make bottoms too.
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    I can't stand to wear too much clothing when I work out because it makes me feel so constricted and I don't feel like I have the same range of motion (I'm sure that's all in my head!). When I do JM at home, I wear a bra and panties! When walking I wear shorts and a /tank/t-shirt, only if it's raining or getting too cold out will I wear a jacket.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    The gymnasium in ancient Greece functioned as a training facility for competitors in public games. It was also a place for socializing and engaging in intellectual pursuits. The name comes from the Ancient Greek term gymnós meaning "naked". Athletes competed in the nude, a practice said to encourage aesthetic appreciation of the male body and a tribute to the gods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymnasium_(ancient_Greece)

:)
    Nude is best.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    The gymnasium in ancient Greece functioned as a training facility for competitors in public games. It was also a place for socializing and engaging in intellectual pursuits. The name comes from the Ancient Greek term gymnós meaning "naked". Athletes competed in the nude, a practice said to encourage aesthetic appreciation of the male body and a tribute to the gods.

Nude is best.

Thanks for the input! Very amusing response! :laugh:

I'm sure my neighbors will appreciate my walks much more after following your advice. Or at least their husbands will.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options

Nude is best.

Awesome!! My neighbors already think that Im insane anyway!!
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I wear as little clothes as possible when I workout - it's all about being comfortable. I wear shorts and a tank to the gym, and I wear shorts when running, until the temperatures drop below 40.

We're in the process of buying a house surrounded by 5 acres of forest - so I may try that naked Greek thing for working out at home. I don't think the Sasquatch will care.
  • kgool
    kgool Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I like to wear as little as possible, but apparently my gym, the people around me, and probably the police like me to be more fully clothed.