Help Please

Options
I have just recently had a new baby boy. And I'm desperately trying to get back to my pre-pregnancy size. I work out very hard but I'm not seeing a lot of weight loss. Also I have a hard time staying within my calorie range because I'm so hungry which I think is due to the fact that I'm breastfeeding. How long does it take for you to reach your pre-pregnancy size. Is 3 months a too aggressive goal.

Replies

• maleva720
    maleva720 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Good question for your doctor but remember it took 9 months for your body to change so it may take that long to go back. Good luck and congrats on your baby boy! :happy:
  • melnem
    melnem Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    as much as you want to get back to your pre pregnancy weight as fast as you can, it will take some time. You didn't gain it all in 3 months, and since your breastfeeding it will most likely take more than 3 months to lose. Keep at it and the weight will come off. Good Luck!!
  • njoithomp
    Options
    My understanding is that when you are breastfeeding, you should not be going below at least 2000 calories per day because so many of the calories are needed for the baby. Also, it is not safe to loose more than 1 pound per week due to the breastfeeding. You should probably adjust your calories manually to that 2000 mark in your info on here so you can stay on track and not feel badly for exceeding the recommended calories.
  • lys617
    lys617 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Your body is still adjusting to "getting back to normal", try to relax, keep eating well, breastfeeding and working out. It will come of, but try not to stress yourself (or your body) out too much about it, that's one of the easiest way to not lose weight. I personally think 3 months is pretty aggressive, but it's your body and do what feels right for you. Honestly it took the better part of the first year for my body to get back to feeling "normal". I didn't get back into my pre-pregnancy jeans until around 6 months, if I remember correctly. Congratulations on your new little bundle of joy! :happy:
  • njoithomp
    Options
    One more thing - if you add weight lifting or resistance exercise to your exercise regimen and lift reasonably heavy, you will see your body tighten up faster than you will notice yourself loosing pounds on the scale. Its a good idea to take your measurements a well as look at the scale so you can feel better about your progress and stay encouraged and motivated.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    claim you bfing as an exercise and eat those calories back. Also as others have said it took time to put that weight on it will take time to get it off as well.
  • rileymama
    rileymama Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your little guy :) I would say that 3 months is aggresive, but not unaccomplishable..just be careful. As far as staying in your calorie range, are you accounting for the BFing? Adding 300-500 extra a day for that? (Or putting Breastfeeding in your food log and it automatically credits you those calories)? There is a saying "it took nine months to put it on, it takes 9 to take it off" I don't neccesarily believe it has to take that long,but everyone is different. As far bas working out, I'm assuming you are enough postpartem to be in the clear for that :P When you do eat, are eating helthy foods? or grabbing whatever sounds good? (LOL..after a baby i grab what sounds good...) I have had 4 kids, and after all of them most of the weight came off within 3 months, but then the last stubborn and the toning up took alot longer.... Hang in there, make sure you are eating ENOUGH calories, and good calories. You don't want your suply to go down .... I envy those people who can drop the weight after a baby JUST by BFing!!! :)
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the birth of your baby boy! Boys are a joy. My son turned four last month and I am 5 pounds away from my pre-pregnancy weight, although I gaine 100 pounds as I was on bed rest for a large portion of my pregnancy.
  • jalandra
    Options
    Thanks you guys. I haven't been doing much strength training because I was really focus on cardio cardio and more cardio. I'll just keep going doing what i'm doing. Hopefully I'll see result soon.
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat--but my son is 9 months old now. Make sure you're eating enough calories. Look up "breastfeeding" under foods to add to your food entries. That will automatically add 300-500 calories to your daily allotment, which you NEED for your baby if you're nursing. Additionally it's best to wait until about 4-6 months (when baby's eating some solids) before reducing your calories too much or toxins from your fat loss will end up in your milk supply.

Drink water--like double what's recommended. That will help keep your milk supply up and help flush out toxins & fat. If you're doing some good cardio that should be pretty easy.
  • MiNiMoNkI
    MiNiMoNkI Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    It took me 9 years to get my *kitten* into gear and only 4 months to lose 30llbs! you can do it, plenty of water, try and reuce the carbs and eat plenty of fruit and veg, dont be perterred and stay strong, it will come off when its ready. xx
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I cant help as Im not breastfeeding but I had a boy 5months ago (in 4 days) and I was 13st7lbs when he was born. Just after I lost his birth weight of 7lbs and started mfp at 12st12lbs. I think it depends how much you gain. I gained 1 stone with mine so hasnt taken that long. I agree with the "9 months to go on, 9 months to come off" saying x
  • tohealth4me
    tohealth4me Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Another thing to watch when breastfeeding is your fat intake. YOU MUST EAT ENOUGH!!!! Your baby needs fat for brain development, and if you cut out too much, you could basically be feeding you baby skim milk (fat in breast milk can range from 2 - 9 % with average being around 6%). Until you start supplementing your baby with other foods, you really need to ensure their nutritional needs are all met through your milk.

My Dr recommended that I keep about 15 lbs on while breastfeeding since I was doing a lot of cardio - training for a marathon at the time. But this was my Drs recommendation for me - everyone is different so please talk to your dr as well. Again, once I started with solids, though I was still breastfeeding, my Drs recommendation changed and I could work toward my goal weight.