Skinny fat to fit

Options
I have been lifting weights and counting calories for some time now, but I feel I look skinny fat still. I use the calories and macros MFP tell me to follow. I also get enough water intake. Do you have any tips? Should I try to change my calories? How often should I do cardio/work out, does that matter? I have a smart scale that tells me BMI, weight etc which is connected to MFP. I have a office job so I struggle to get enough steps in daily. What is the recommended and possible step amount when you have a office job to achieve my goal? I am 165 pounds and 175cm length, what should be my goal weight? Currently I have it on 154 pounds. All help helps :smile:

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    I suspect you mean that you would like to see some vascularity and exposed muscle definition because a person can be skinny fat as you say and fit. Keep in mind that ideal body weight (BMI) are not mutually exclusive and a person could be at an ideal weight and not showing any signs of definition or vascularity. If I had your stats I would be eating at maintenance and lifting 6 days a week and walking when I could or another aerobic activity and I'd be adding calories when weight started to steadily decline over time until you saw a steady maintenance level, rinse and repeat until your happy with the results. Alternatively, just add a weight resistance regimen until you get to a desired look while keeping calories as close to maintenance as possible. Short answer. Cheers.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Do you lift?
  • Vanessalove10
    Vanessalove10 Posts: 8 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    The only way to look more muscular (and therefore less "skinny-fat") is by adding some muscle on your body.
    You didn't mention what kind of working out you do, but if you aren't doing some sort of strength/resistance training already, it's time to start. You don't necessarily need to lift weight either. Although it would be very effective. You could look up body weight workouts on youtube, you could use resistance bands, you could try calisthenics, there are many options. I would avoid too much cardio if I were you and just get enough for cardiovascular health and try to keep your diet in check if you want to lose more weight. Excess cardio can "kill your gains" so to speak. Try to do resistance training 3x a week or more.
    Currently I'm at 155 lbs, same height as you, and I believe the only reason I look "fit" at a higher BMI is because I've been lifting consistently for almost 7 years. It took me a long time to build up that muscle mass. Most women probably won't look as lean or fit at a similar bmi.
    Edit to add: I made the assumption that you're female, my bad! Either way, I think my point mostly still stands although males can get away with looking leaner at a higher bmi. I think you should still add more resistance exercises. They're fantastic for anyone regardless of sex, age, etc. Good luck!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,200 Member
    Options
    How long is "some time now" that you've been lifting weights and counting calories?

Even the fastest muscle mass gain is realistically pretty gradual, and if you've been counting calories to lose weight, and succeeding in that weight loss . . . the calorie deficit further slows muscle mass gain below your personal maximum rate (whatever that might be). If "some time now" is a few weeks . . . that's not long enough to see much, unfortunately. We'd all like it to be faster.

With your goals, the most important things are
    * an appropriate progressive strength training program faithfully performed (weight lifting would likely be most efficient);
    * overall good nutrition with adequate good-quality protein in particular;
    * and a very tiny calorie deficit if you have a bit of fat still to lose (for sure not trying to lose faster than half a pound/quarter kilogram per week, and slower would probably be better).

You don't need any particular number of steps, and the basic "cardio for health" recommendations are fine if your goals are only about how you look. (That would be 150 minutes of moderate cardio per week, preferably spread over at least 5 days; or half that many minutes of more intense cardio; or an equivalent combination of the two).

Water intake also doesn't matter for your goals, except for what hydration you need for general health. Try just drinking when thirsty. Watch your urine: You want it to be pale yellow (kind of straw colored), neither clear (overhydrated) nor dark (underhydrated). There's no formula. People who are active outdoors in hot climates need more than people who are sedentary in air conditioning (even if the latter are running a strength training program). On top of that, some people naturally sweat more than others, and the ones who do need more water than those who don't.

If you're not following a formal strength training program, there are some you could consider here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Your goal weight really doesn't matter, IMO. Setting one won't change any detail of the route you use to reach it. It makes more sense IMO to do the things you need to do to move toward your goals . . . and you'll recognize it when you're getting there, as long as you don't have serious body dysmorphia.

One aside: That idea that "cardio kills gains" is iffy. Sure, if a person does "too much" cardio, and doesn't fuel it, that's going to slow down mass gain. Sure, if a person does so much cardio that they're fatigued/overtrained, that will bleed energy out of lifting sessions plus potentially interfere with recovery (where the gains from lifting really happen). That would be bad.

It isn't necessarily about how many minutes of cardio, but more about structuring cardio to be a mild challenge to current fitness level, but not "too much", i.e., about rightsizing it via a suitable combination of duration, frequency, and intensity. There's no universal generic right type/amount of cardio. So, yeah, gotta be smart.

There are sports where people do lots of cardio, and also require muscularity. Heavyweight boxers aren't remotely skinny fat, and have very well-developed cardiovascular capability (that only comes from doing cardio). Rowers - my sport - don't have bodybuilder levels of muscularity, but the best ones are very far from skinny fat, and they do ridiculous amounts of cardio. A person gets what they train for, if they train in smart ways.

Keep lifting (use a good program), get good nutrition, don't try to lose fat weight fast, . . . and have patience. You'll get there. Best wishes!
  • DoubleG2
    DoubleG2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Former skinny fat dude here. I echo many of the comments above. To add muscle, follow a structured lifting program that works for you. To lose fat, be in a caloric deficit. While not necessarily conflicting goals, there is a balance that you will need to strike. What worked for me once I lost the excess weight, was a consistent workout plan prioritizing strength training with a lesser amount of cardio. I also eat at a very slight calorie deficit. This is essentially a 'recomp' plan. It is a SLOW process - and that's OK. I am relentlessly consistent in my workouts and I am diligent with my diet - especially protein consumption (.75 - 1g per lean body mass). I also prioritize sleep and recovery from each workout.

In terms of goal weight, at 5'7", 154lbs would put you in a normal BMI. I suppose that is as good a goal as any. You didn't note your age. If you're over 50, it will take longer to add muscle mass. It is definitely possible, but you will need to be patient. Best of luck. These forums are a great source of knowledge for you to tap into.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    former anorexic here. when i weighted 100 pounds, i looked in the mirror and saw heavy thighs, a big belly and fat around my hips and legs. in reality, at 100 pounds at 5'4" (162.56 cm according to google), i wasn't overweight, but it's still what i saw.

i'm not sure steps are the answer here. you can take a surprising amount of steps without any real exercise. i cut my steps down from over 10,000 to 5,000 per day, but i added resistance training and time on an exercise bike, which helped a lot more.

goal weights varies, even for people of the same height. at my short height, i've weighed 171 twice. once i was into lifting heavy for 2 to 3 hours a day 6 days a week, and under the fat, i was pretty muscular. most people guessed my weight at 140 (don't ask me why so many people would guess my weight - i think that's weird). the second time, after a couple injuries and health issues, i was weak as a kitten with little muscularity, and not only did i look heavier - the waist of my pants was 5 inches bigger than when i weighed 171 with more muscle.

in my long-winded way, what i'm trying to suggest is you could start lifting a bit to put on some muscle -or maybe do some walking up and down stairs where you work during your break, which will strengthen your legs AND act as a bit of cardio. or drop some calories each day to lose some fat. see how something like that works, then reassess. not only are we all different, but i find each time i start to loose weight or work out for strength, it's a bit different.