Cupcake? Cake Recipe?

Options
2»

Replies

• keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    keiko... I'm doing a whole lot of nothing today, so I'm going to go through the recipe box and see if I can find the Portside cheese spread recipe for you...

That is so nice of you! My DH will love it! I'll make it for our small group to share the fat:laugh:

I've been doing nothing all morning and it's coming to an end. I need to get some cleaning done in the basement. DH ordered a bow flex and we need to put it someplace.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    well the point of this thread was to ask people's opinion's on how to make cupcakes or cakes more calorie friendly, not to tell me to give my family calorie filled cupcakes.. Since 3 of my children will be there.. Thanks to the people that gave me helpful ideas.

No need to yell, we just offered our opinions... It's nice that you want to have your kids learn healthy living, but (and this is gently said) try not to go overboard. I grew up in a "healthy living" household. And I learned at a very young age to sneak food, and even now, food that I can eat in hiding tastes SOOO much better than food I eat with my family. Sometimes a full on caloric cupcake will taste better and satisfy more than a cupcake made "light".
  • keiko
    Options
    well the point of this thread was to ask people's opinion's on how to make cupcakes or cakes more calorie friendly, not to tell me to give my family calorie filled cupcakes.. Since 3 of my children will be there.. Thanks to the people that gave me helpful ideas.

I'm sorry, didn't mean to offend you. If I'm going to eat the calories in baked goods I want really good flavor. For me anything that starts with a boxed cake mix has a chemical taste that I'd rather not have no matter how few calories it is. But we all have different tastes.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Make them this way and they probably won't ask you to make them again. Score!

Exactly what my husband was thinking.... "Can you make a trial batch first that i can taste??" when i told him about these ideas...... It is his family function... he doesnt want to be embarrased!! so i figure i will make one batch diet coke, one batch pumpkin.. and if they taste like poop he can make the regular batch!!

I tend to think that if you're making dessert for other people, it's best to keep to the simple, expected product. Just make sure that it's the other people who eat most of it!

I tend to do that too, but seriously the diet pop with 1 egg added that's like you made the cake the original way. I have had the pumpkin ones with a chocolate cake mix and I could SO taste the pumpkin. It was not good. Just my opinion.
  • Venusjems
    Venusjems Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am sorry:embarassed:
    I didnt mean to yell... I know yall were just trying to look out for me and my nasty tasting low calorie cupcakes...:laugh:
    That is why i originally posted, i wanted to see if anyone had a good recipe that you couldnt tell it was low calorie..

Sorry again and thanks again to everyone!!
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/12260-hg-s-death-by-chocolate-cupcakes?hl=chocolate+cupcakes#posts-90265

Joanna posted these ages ago.

I've made the soda and pumpkin cupcakes.
    I prefer the pumpkin ones for breakfast muffins... cause kerri is right they are for sure pumpkin.
    My students (teens) LOVE doing the soda ones and like the taste a lot.

I can make gourmet desserts easy...but my ENITRE family has weight issues.
    So, I've made it my goal to introduce them to good tasting healthy eating.
    :flowerforyou:
  • keiko
    Options
    I didnt mean to yell... I know yall were just trying to look out for me and my nasty tasting low calorie cupcakes...:laugh:
    That is why i originally posted, i wanted to see if anyone had a good recipe that you couldnt tell it was low calorie..

We all want to be healthier.When it comes to sweets I'd rather have a small portion of something really yummy than be able to eat a larger portion of something that's just ok to fill my sweet tooth. I know for me I will always want to have a special desert sometimes. That's why I go with moderation and portion control. I've tasted the diet stuff and I've never found one I like.

I hope you find something to make that you enjoy not only making but eating. And that your family gathering is fun!
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options

We all want to be healthier.When it comes to sweets I'd rather have a small portion of something really yummy than be able to eat a larger portion of something that's just ok to fill my sweet tooth. I know for me I will always want to have a special desert sometimes. That's why I go with moderation and portion control. I've tasted the diet stuff and I've never found one I like.

I hope you find something to make that you enjoy not only making but eating. And that your family gathering is fun!

You put that so well Keiko! Ditto for me too! And what I've found in my family, is that they are willing to try most anything, but they resent the fact that if I'm on a "diet" they are too. Not that my "diet" is that restrictive. None of our kids has a weight issue, and I'm trying to teach them, by example now, that sweets are ok, but you just don't have them every day, and you don't pig out on them when you do. We do enforce a fruit for snack rule most of the week, but they are allowed to have sweets a couple of times during the week, whether it's a piece or two of their Valentine's candy or a scoop of ice cream or a cupcake. Hopefully this way they won't resort to stealing candy bars like I did at their age (and then I ate them while hiding in my closet or at night in bed--I'd stuff the wrappers in my shoes and throw them away at school the next day). I'm learning as much as they are... All things in moderation!
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I agree that we all want to be healthier... And the pumpkin cake is certainly a healthy option. But the diet coke cake? Some people are sensitive to aspartame, the extreme being phenylketonurics. That's why there's a warning on every can of soda that contains it. What's healthier for an overweight adult is not necessarily healthier for a healthy child.

I don't mean to offend anyone either, but my thoughts are: It's one thing to make low-calorie sweets for yourself when you're dieting, but one should consider the preferences of everyone planning to eat them before you surprise them with something that contains ingredients that they don't expect.