Wanting to share my victory

Options
I've been on my My Fitness Pal journey for almost four years. It took about six months, but I dropped 35 pounds (from 210 to 175) and have kept it off ever since. In fact I weighed in at 174 this morning. I haven't done anything special, just tracked my food as diligently and as honestly and accurately as possible. Frankly though - I want to give up just about every day and just start horking down the food, but I keep going. I like where I'm at. Thank you MFP - you really helped make this journey possible.

7d8ts4gk003q.jpg

Replies

• GravyDumpster
    GravyDumpster Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    thought I didn't need to track anymore. Eight years later, I was back up above my original starting weight
    That's wonderful. That's exactly why I never stopped and don't intend to stop. I figured if I let up I'd be right back where I started or more! Thanks for the thoughts :-)

• jyoti_0
    jyoti_0 Posts: 87 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    I want to give up just about every day and just start horking down the food, but I keep going. I like where I'm at. Thank you MFP - you really helped make this journey possible.
    same feelings. I don't have much of a weight problem, but bloating, body swelling due to food allergies. And logging in food every time I eat something has been very helpful in controlling my allergies. Thank, MFP.
  • newHampshirite
    newHampshirite Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    @Fit2btied2016 : I don't think I can blame life events for my weight gain; if I don't think about diet and exercise, I overeat and under-exercise. Tracking on MyFitnessPal helps me be more conscious of diet and exercise. Seeing that I have met my goals at the end of the day, is, each day that it happens, rewarding.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    thought I didn't need to track anymore. Eight years later, I was back up above my original starting weight
    That's wonderful. That's exactly why I never stopped and don't intend to stop. I figured if I let up I'd be right back where I started or more! Thanks for the thoughts :-)

Hi @GravyDumpster, did you find that you kept at it because you had a supportive person in your life? Is that the reason you kept at it more than wanting to give up?

Lately, sometimes it feels like the more I talk about food or diet and exercise (except here), or act on things (ie. exercise or run more), the worse things get for me. It's almost like I do better logging in on my own and fumbling the ball down the field quietly.

The more weight I lose, the weirder people are acting around me. Once friendly neighbours are kind of ignoring me, and other neighbours are introducing themselves. I have met a couple more ladies in our neighbourhood that like to run, and they both have the same name, and they are both encouraging and positive towards my efforts. I go on a page here, and there's another runner now by the same name!

I take it as a positive sign to keep on running.

I ran into some people I haven't seen for awhile last night, and in a place we both least expected to do so, but I said hello and made small talk. Meanwhile, one of my "friends" that I had asked several times and offered to exercise with a couple of years ago (start of Covid stuff), happened to also be at the same event. I said hello, and she did in return.

When we went to leave, she actually turned back to look at me (again--I caught her earlier in the evening), and I caught her again. I offered to help her close the gate and she declined and we said goodnight to each other. Does she regret not taking me up on the exercise offer? Does she notice what my husband said is obvious (that I have lost weight)? What?

I have a big running event tomorrow, but it involves over a 2 hour drive to get there, plus parking time. My husband has something on in the morning, and he offered to take me, but there's a tight window between the end of his function, and me missing mine. I told him that I have paid, am going, and don't want to miss it.

At first, he actually told me not to go because my knee was sore from a "practice" run yesterday, and I kept things low-key today. I told him that I was going to be okay, and that's why I wasn't doing any walking or exercising or running today, etc.

Then we kind of went around about what he would do while I was running, and his big thing was me finding parking.

It's like he wants me to fail or something or doesn't think I will succeed. I was not feeling very supported, so I made myself a cup of tea and had shortbread cookies. I enjoyed them, and plan to repeat the process in a few minutes.

Sadly though, on one of the most important events in my life, I will once again be doing it alone, with nobody there at the finish line to cheer me on, except random strangers.

That hurts. No friends, no family, nobody. That's still okay. This weight loss and fitness program is still FOR ME, and if I don't do it, then people will talk anyway, or not. It won't matter. I know in my heart that I will have crossed that finish line with everything I could give and will do my very best tomorrow.

I will keep on getting inspired and encouraged by the MFP crowd here, because today I almost wanted to give up and not log in again. For real.

Please give your support person a huge THANK-YOU from me, and I am glad that you kept up to reach your goal. :-)

Some people need support to reach their goals. Others are loners--like me. My husband exercises a lot and he has his favorites and I have mine. Where we overlap we do things together. I do what I do for me. I give my all to my family, but exercise is my time.

You will make new friends with the same interests as you go along, so I wouldn't even think of quitting. Real friends will stick with you no matter what. If someone won't talk to you anymore because you've lost weight--well, that's pretty low. Move on.
  • brenn35
    brenn35 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    sounds like me, I went from 208 to 165 four years ago, it is a struggle, thought it would be easier but No, but doable. I am up to 171 since Thanksgiving so working to lose that 6 lbs or it will just keep going up. I dont want to grow out of my clothes. Holidays we have to be extra cautious.
  • GravyDumpster
    GravyDumpster Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Hi @GravyDumpster, did you find that you kept at it because you had a supportive person in your life? Is that the reason you kept at it more than wanting to give up?

I really kept up with it through the losing phase because of the ability to really see the effects and the "scale victories" especially. Watching the numbers go down was a real boost. The giving up part is easy to take the wrong way. Mostly I want to "give up" because I love food! I don't have an unhealthy relationship with food, at least I don't think so, but man do I love ice cream and cake and gravy and sausage and ...... all that stuff! So - it's easy to overblow the "wanting to give up" sentence. It's not a big deal, but this is a lifestyle change, and I'm committed to keeping with it, because I really don't want to gain that weight back. Sometimes it's just that simple.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!