BIGGEST WAKE UP CALL

Options
SO LAST NIGHT I RECEIVED A PHONE CALL FROM MY MOM AND SHES CALLING TO TELL ME THAT SHE WENT TO THE DRS AND THAT THEY TOLD HER SHES DIABETIC. ON TOP OF THAT SHE HAS EXTREMELY HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE. I JUST DIDNT KNOW WHAT TO SAY. ALL I THOUGHT ABOUT WAS HOW I DONT WANT TO END UP LIKE MY MOM. I WANT TO BE HEALTHY,I DONT WANNA BE TAKING MEDS FOR THIS AND FOR THAT SHE HAS A BAG FULL OF MEDS SHE NEEDS DAILY..MY MOM IS ONLY 54. I WANNA BE AROUND FOR MY DAUGHTER AND HAVE ENERGY TO TAKE HER TO THE PARK AND RUN AFTER HER. IT WAS JUST SUCH A RELAITY CHECK FOR ME. THIS IS DEFINETLY GUNNA PUSH ME HARDER.

Replies

• auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I was 26 when I was diagnosed with diabetes.

It can happen at any time.

The biggest thing to understand and take to heart is that you have the power and ability to choose the path you walk every day and that every day is a gift. Do not squander it.
  • JIsh09
    JIsh09 Posts: 158
    Options
    Good luck! Sorry about what your mom is going threw,hope the best for the both of you!
  • PhatChic1186
    Options
    Im sorry to hear that about your mom...I hope you can help your mom reduce her meds..Maybe she just needs a push to control what she eats and stuff..Be strong for her...Best of luck to you and your mom!!
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Your story is almost identical to mine. My mom has Type 2 Diabetes and has been on meds for that (as well as many other things). I learned earlier this year that she now has to take insulin shots. Type 2 Diabetes runs in our family. I too don't want to end up like my mom.... overweight, on all kinds of meds, and feeling like crap all that time. That was also my wake-up call. I want to do all that I can to be healthy... for me and my family.

It is definitely something that keeps me going strong!!!
  • titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your mom's plight.

Get her on MFP!

Diabetes and high blood pressure can be controlled, and even reversed through the proper diet and a fitness routine, have a look at my profile, I'm around her age ;)
  • yannasmommy145
    yannasmommy145 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    shes very stubborn, i told her yesterday that she needs to watch what she eats and cut back on the soda. shes a huge soda drinker, and snacker and he response was lets see and even that she was just gunna ignore evryone and just go back to work and stuff cuz shes tired of drs always sending her for more tests and the waiting around. i just told her bluntly...if u wanna die and dont care baout urself then go right ahead but that would be stupid for u to just forget about everything and she kinda seemed to change at that point...i just hope she starts taking better care of herself
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I wish i could feel the same way as you do.
    I want to diet for me, and i dont see eating healthy as relevant for anything other than my body size and maybe how glossy my hair is..
    Which is why if i can get away with eating unhealthy and fitting it into my calorie amount, i wil always edge towards doing that!
    I try to eat healthy..
    I just dont really have any real motivation too..
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I was told I had diabetes 6 mos. ago (I'm 51) and was given Metformin to take. After getting on MFP, cutting out processed carbs and sugars, adding more fiber and protein (avacados and almonds) I was taken OFF Metformin after 4 weeks. Today, I'm down 35 lbs., no meds, and my bs readings are really good. I exercise some, but not tons. I also got the book "Diabetic D-Tour" which helps keep from getting full blown diabetes (that is depending on insulin shots, meds, etc.), and that really helped. After the results I'm getting, I really didn't think I had diabetes, but with bs readings of 343 and 240 within a week, YES, I do have diabetes, but it can be controlled. I've connected with a number of diabetics here, and they have really helped me - I couldn't have done it without their help!!! Gotta love MFP!!!! Good luck to you and your Mom. I know it's different for every person, but I truly believe that Diabetes can be controlled by food and exercise.
  • yannasmommy145
    Options
    I wish i could feel the same way as you do.
    I want to diet for me, and i dont see eating healthy as relevant for anything other than my body size and maybe how glossy my hair is..
    Which is why if i can get away with eating unhealthy and fitting it into my calorie amount, i wil always edge towards doing that!
    I try to eat healthy..
    I just dont really have any real motivation too..

eating healthy isnt just for your body size you need to see what ur eating and what it does to your body, like if you eat greasy fatty foods u can be overweight and have high cholestrol if u eat foods and drinks with alot of sugar and a poor diet u can develop diabeties. i find that if i eat healthy i feel good inside and if i eat fast food or naything like that i just feel BLAHHHH wtaching what u eat isnt just about weightloss its also about ur health and its a lifestyle that y i hate when ppl say t hat they r on a diet, theres no such thing as a diet for me. its a lifestyle and a change, a diet is only temporary as to changing you habits and eating healthier is a lifestyle
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your mom's plight.

Get her on MFP!

Diabetes and high blood pressure can be controlled, and even reversed through the proper diet and a fitness routine, have a look at my profile, I'm around her age ;)

Titletown has been my ROCK and inspiration to do accomplish what I have so far. THANKS!!!!
  • yannasmommy145
    Options
    I was told I had diabetes 6 mos. ago (I'm 51) and was given Metformin to take. After getting on MFP, cutting out processed carbs and sugars, adding more fiber and protein (avacados and almonds) I was taken OFF Metformin after 4 weeks. Today, I'm down 35 lbs., no meds, and my bs readings are really good. I exercise some, but not tons. I also got the book "Diabetic D-Tour" which helps keep from getting full blown diabetes (that is depending on insulin shots, meds, etc.), and that really helped. After the results I'm getting, I really didn't think I had diabetes, but with bs readings of 343 and 240 within a week, YES, I do have diabetes, but it can be controlled. I've connected with a number of diabetics here, and they have really helped me - I couldn't have done it without their help!!! Gotta love MFP!!!! Good luck to you and your Mom. I know it's different for every person, but I truly believe that Diabetes can be controlled by food and exercise.

i totally agree
  • PhatChic1186
    Options

i totally agree

Oh wow, thats great you got off your meds that quick...Yannasmommy14 you should share this with your mom..