Weight Loss Frustration

Options
I have been losing weight before this forum I was once 5'8 292lbs and now I'm 258 however I've starting to gain weight I have no idea if its muscle or what I do cardio & strenght exercises 4-5 times a week. The cardio is 45 mins long with weight lifiting sprinkle through. My eating habits haven't changed, what is happening? I am a type 2 diabetic is that causing problems? My sugar is high it ranges from 250-350 lately. My diagnosislast month (Aug 2011) when my HA1C number was 12.7 or a average sugar of 450-600. I have been controlling it with diet, exercise, and supplements.

Replies

• yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I have been losing weight before this forum I was once 5'8 292lbs and now I'm 258 however I've starting to gain weight I have no idea if its muscle or what I do cardio & strenght exercises 4-5 times a week. The cardio is 45 mins long with weight lifiting sprinkle through. My eating habits haven't changed, what is happening? I am a type 2 diabetic is that causing problems?

I would go see the doctor to be sure nothing else is going on.
    Look at your eating, do you estimate your portions or weight your food?
    Maybe time to change your routine because your body is becoming really efficient at doing the same thing. You do not say how much you are gaining, a few pounds gain happen to all of us.
    Maybe change your macro nutrients, Perso, I changed from 55% carbs to 40% carb.

Good luck
  • jeanmarcotte
    jeanmarcotte Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Review your food. Review your water.

Cardio and exercise mean nothing if you are not accurately marking down what you eat.
  • Maria_Goose
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing everything you can. Don't stop just because you're gaining. Maybe you should start using a measuring tape as well to see if you're still shrinking. How do you look? How do you feel?
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    If you've lost 50 lbs eating the same thing during that loss, and your eating habits haven't changed and now you're gaining, perhaps you need to reduce calories to achieve the same weight loss goal.

What calories are you netting and does that still meet the MFP goals with your new and improved weight?

Good job, btw on losing 50! That's a great thing.
  • shiroosh111
    Options
    The best way to know what is going on is to see it on paper. Devote this week to logging in everything you eat. I mean everything! Even if its just one bite, one taste, 1 single potato chip..... EVERYTHING! also log your water and your excersize.
    Once the week is over you will be able to look at it and see where your problem areas are.... maybe you are not drinking enough? maybe your calories are comming mostly from carbs? who knows, but there is a reason... You will find it :)
  • Jillericious
    Options
    As a nurse, I really recommend talking to your doctor about your blood sugars and recent weight gain. I also think it's important to rotate your workouts and do different things to "shock" your body, so you don't over-train the same areas over and over. I wouldn't necessarily go by weight, I would go by how you feel and your measurements. Do you keep a record of body measurements? Muscle weighs a lot more than fat, so as you gain muscle, your weight will increase or maintain even though you are still losing body fat.
  • chrissaucier
    chrissaucier Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I agree with an earlier post, check in with your doctor to make sure there's nothing else going on. Diabetics bodies change easily and need to monitored.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    When you say gaining... Have you put on a couple of pounds? If so it's probably because your muscles are swollen from the exercise. If it's more than that, it's almost certainly down to innacurate recording of food. Weigh everything for a week, see what a difference it makes.
  • missyouhoo
    missyouhoo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response I was 256.5 before the 258. As for the doctor i don't have health insurance & with my sugar levels coming down that far in a month I'm sure I can get it lower than what it is. I'm afraid they're going to put me on insulin and no one goes off insulin once prescribed. I have started tracking my eating habits for the past 2 weeks. I except for twice I was under the 1700 range of what is precribed for losing 1 1/2 lbs a week.
  • missyouhoo
    missyouhoo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid of the medication you never get off of it. My grandfather and mother had/have type 2 diabeties he died still taking insulin & she still takes pills even though her sugar has been under control for years. They took her off every medication except that one. You never get off the medication.
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Diabetes is a tough road. Persistence is the only real key to overcoming it as a Type II. If you could open your diary for all to read we might be able to help in that area. As for the exercising, I do HIIT 3 days and Heavy Lifting 3 days. The 7th day is either the Wii, a DVD, or just a long walk (90 minutes) on the treadmill. Have been the same weight for over 35 days but getting smaller. Keep at it!
  • davebarfoot
    davebarfoot Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily true. May be different in the UK, but since being diagnosed 4 years ago when I was put on Metformin, I've lost 112lbs, got my blood levels under control, and have just been taken of the tablets completely.
  • davebarfoot
    davebarfoot Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Oh, I really need to update that picture!
  • Jillericious
    Options
    Thanks for the response I was 256.5 before the 258. As for the doctor i don't have health insurance & with my sugar levels coming down that far in a month I'm sure I can get it lower than what it is. I'm afraid they're going to put me on insulin and no one goes off insulin once prescribed. I have started tracking my eating habits for the past 2 weeks. I except for twice I was under the 1700 range of what is precribed for losing 1 1/2 lbs a week.
    I wouldn't worry about a change of 1.5 pounds - that could be water weight, needing to go to the bathroom, or just normal weight variance throughout the day. I wouldn't get on the scale any more than once every couple weeks since it varies so much even throughout the day. In the morning I could be 5# less than in the evening.