joyputnam04
joyputnam04 Posts: 14 Member
I have never cooked tofu before, help!

Replies

• ghrmj
    ghrmj Posts: 86 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    This is my favorite tofu recipe, that I've been making for years. The spice blend makes all the difference.
    https://www.theppk.com/2009/10/tof-u-and-tof-me-scrambled-tofu-revisited/

I also sometimes drain and cut into small cubes, then pan fry it in olive oil with spinach, garlic and onions (add the spinach near the end).

Third way I make it is tofu and cauliflower korma - but for that I use a pre-seasoned curry flavored tofu - but there are recipes online for other versions. (I sometimes use smoked tofu in it if I don't have the curry one on hand.)

edit: this is the curry tofu I use: https://www.yingyingsoyfood.ca/product-category/gourmet-tofu/
  • sshahnd23
    sshahnd23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Marinate it in anything you would marinate meat in and pan fry or grill. Don't worry too much about draining, I just pat it dry then marinate and cook. I love making a tofu steak and sautéed mushrooms. Use firm for steak. You can use the silken tofu in smoothies or to make a pudding (lately I've been mixing in a little pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, a little vanilla and 1 tbs maple syrup)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,921 Member
    Options
    I have a recipe that's similar to my fiddlehead recipe, which ultimately after I meticulously sautee I walk over the to the garbage can, lift the lid, and slide it in. :D j/k carry on.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,623 Member
    Options
    If you eat meat, ma po tofu is a great recipe. This version is pretty authentic but if you google you can find recipes with shortcuts such as using ready made black bean sauce that you can find in bigger supermarkets instead of fermented black beans which requires a visit to the asian grocer.
    https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/mapo-tofu-recipe/

This is my favourite proper vegetarian tofu recipe. To make it vegan, skip the mayo in the final sauce and thin down gochujang to taste with ketchup and soy. I just stir cornstarch into the marinade mixture rather than dredging the marinated tofu through cornstarch, because I like a lighter coating.
    https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a37826062/air-fryer-tofu-recipe/
  • CrackedCrab
    CrackedCrab Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As acpgee says, mapo tofu is great for silken tofu. You can make it vegetarian by substituting sauteed sliced mushrooms instead of pork, and add some chopped kale or other greens to get more veggies in.

For extra-firm tofu, drain/press it, cut into cubes, gently season it, and bake to make crispy tofu "croutons" which are great in stirfrys or salads. See "Cookie and Kate" website for the recipe.
  • soulo_ridah
    soulo_ridah Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    This is what I do after trying many methods, and so far its the best thing.

Take the block of tofu, remove from package and freeze. Once frozen, place into the fridge with something heavy on top and let it defrost. What this does is expand the pockets inside the tofu and it will allow it to absorb other flavours much much better.

After this step I like rip it up, not cut it, just rip it into pieces, dredge in flour and spice mixtures and into the air fryer. Once crispy cover toss in sauce of choosing.
  • DebbsSeattle
    DebbsSeattle Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    We enjoy tofu once a week as we try to scatter all the different proteins throughout our menus. Tofu is rather like a flavor sponge…whatever you put to it or put it in…it picks up those flavors. I try to center meals around veggies. Enough veggies that we walk away full and have a few veggies left for use in breakfast or lunch the day following. On tofu night, I usually just go lazy and cube it up, toss it in a bit of sesame oil, soy sauce and chili paste. I stir fry veg in one pan and heat the marinated tofu in a second pan. This keeps my veggies clean of wild flavors for use in an omelette or quiche. I have also marinated it and baked it…super yummy. We use silken tofu puréed in puréed vegetable soups to add creaminess without dairy fat and protein with low calories. We also use it in smoothies. I love ma po tofu but save that for dinner out at Chinese for treat date nights. I have also diced it for omelette s or breakfast scrambles as neutral flavored protein. It is so inexpensive, you can really feel free to just experiment. (I have also been known to eat it straight and cold out of the little pack.)
  • skyecho99
    skyecho99 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    For me, good tofu is all about texture.
    #1 - Cube it, marinate (soy sauce / spices / oil) and then roast in the oven on high heat tossing every once in a while to expose all sides. Let edges get crispy. Throw in salad or a pita sandwich.
    #2 - Slab it, marinate and then grill on a George Foreman-like grill a loooong while. Excess water drains out, flavor seeps in, texture gets meaty.
  • jfhancock2343
    jfhancock2343 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The thing about tofu is that it is doesn't have much flavor of it's own and doesn't pick up other flavors well. One of the reasons why is that it contains lots of moisture. A great way to get rid of that moisture is to freeze the tofu, then thaw it out in the refrigerator. After it is thawed, cut it up and boil it in salted water for 4 - 5 minutes. Drain the tofu and let it cool down on a towel or paper towel. The tofu will now be dry and it will be able to pick up the flavors of any marinade you use.