Raisins

Options
What are everyone's thoughts on raisins? I was searching the grocery store for some add ins for my oatmeal in the mornings. (I have some that I really don't care for but don't want to waste) So I went to the raisins. A little box has 130 calories. I have some other oatmeal that has cranberries in it so I didn't want to get craisins. I thought about nuts too. But again I come back to raisins....what does everyone think? Would you reach for a little box of raisins as a sensible snack??

Replies

• racergirl1991
    racergirl1991 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I love raisins and have them at least a couple times a week in my oatmeal. I just use half the little box and a little cinnamon, its yummy!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Raisins are high in iron. Dried fruit calories are high, but that doesn't mean they are unhealthy or should not be part of a healthy diet.
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I think they are probably a great snack or oatmeal add-on, as long as you don't eat too many! They have lots of fiber, as far as I know... I almost bought some at the store yesterday but got snookered in by the craisins instead. Yummy, craisins.
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    i would agree with half the box added to the oatmeal, i probably would not add an entire box as i prefer lower calorie and the sugar is pretty high for raisins isn't it? another thing for the oatmeal, sliced peaches-get the ones in light syrup and drain, fresh blueberries or strawberries, diced apples and some almonds or pecans, i also know someone that takes some of the crucnhy oat cluster cereals and tops the oatmeal with about 1/4 cup of that. she swears by it.
  • SammiFrancs
    SammiFrancs Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    think i just read though that raisins are high is sugar, just check the box to make sure you find a good nutiritional brand (i think sunmaid was the high one). think i saw this on Women's Health Magazine- it was the one where you guess which food is better for you... I forget what the raisins were up against, but it turned out the raisins had more sugar. However, there is a pretty good nutritional value to the raisins as well- so I'm just saying keep an eye on the sugar ;op
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I add raisins daily to my oatmeal for breakfast - can't eat it without em. I try to use 1/2 of the 1/4 cup serving so I'm getting the sweetness but trying to control the calories. Helps to measure them out.

BTW, I also add a teaspoon of peanut butter - yum
  • haileemou
    Options
    I have a small amount each day so i dont grab a chocolat ebar or anything and to help my iron deficiency anemia
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Raisins and cranberries are great options. When shopping for them, check the label. Extra sugar is often added to dried fruit.I've seen more freeze dried fruit in the same section of the store, which often does not have sugar added. They have strawberry and pineapple, which might also be a good add-in. I get the mini boxes of SunMaid raisins - only 45 calories.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Raisins...I really like raisins.

High calorie, high sugar content, but I believe them to be good for me (fiber + ), in moderation and at the right time. The first thing I think of when I opt to eat raisins is the sugar. I think the best time for them would be after a workout in your oatmeal or something where you want to replenish your energy levels. I think they pair nicely with a complex carb like oatmeal.