Starting again

Options
Why does it always feel like starting again? Maybe because I seem to go a long time eating fast food, not working out and gaining . It’s so time consuming and depressing to continue to try and progress so slowly . But also why do I think eating healthy, cooking meals daily and working out is such a chore? Because having a full time job and keeping a house is so time consuming and honestly I have a lot of fun things I rather be spending my time on so it’s hard to spend more time just in dissolution maintenance. So why try? Because I want to live a long life, I want to be healthy and not get diseases that are related to unhealthy lifestyles, I want to move more freely without pain and discomfort, I want to be able to enjoy all the fun activities for a long time. So there are lots of reasons besides just looking good in and out of clothes. My 1st goal is for my fave to be less puffy . I love taking and being in photos but lately I have push my face forward, have very flattering angles to look good in a photo. Makes events less fun .

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    It's a chore because you likely don't have balance. You can eat fast food, but you have to do it in moderation. I eat fast food at least 2 times a week. And maybe you're not doing the physical activity you LIKE to do. It doesn't just have to be the gym. There's dance, martial arts, swimming, etc. Till you find that balance, you'll continue to struggle with up and down weight loss and maintenance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Neil7905
    Neil7905 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Remember, you don't look how you feel. You look great! You just don't feel great about it. It'd a constant mental struggle x
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,126 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy food doesn't have to be time consuming either (although it's always going to be slower than ordering fast food). It depends on what dishes you make and your ingredients. I'm a huge fan of 'ready to use' vegetables: canned tomatoes and chickpeas, frozen or fresh pre-cut vegetables. I also like to cook in larger batches, so while it takes a bit longer the evening I cook, I know I'll only have to reheat the next day(s).
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    When cooking certain things--especially legumes, which I buy dry, soak overnight and then cook, I make a big batch and then put them in containers and then freeze. When I'm really busy (almost always), I can throw together a meal in half an hour.

I cook for 4-6 most days. Fresh vegetables need prep--no way around it. So when in a hurry, I buy frozen, as @lietchi suggested. You can also save money buying them on sale. I make more soups in the winter, and there again, bigger batches and freeze. It takes organization, but you can do it and reach your goals.

You do not need to exercise to lose weight, but if you can fit it in, you'll find it helps with movement. As @ninerbuff suggested, there are so many things you can try. Walking is great to start, and maybe you can find someone who will go with you, if not, it can be a special time just for you. Find something you like.

Wishing you good luck.
  • CurvyEmmy
    CurvyEmmy Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hi! I’m 5’5” and about 280 pounds. I’ve gained 120 pounds since the start of the pandemic. I’m wondering if we’re similar? You can read m story here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10839023/getting-back-in-shape-after-80-pound-pandemic-weight-gain-please-help/p1