2.5 months in and motivation has VANISHED... what to do??

Options
Hi everyone!
I've never posted on here before, but I've enjoyed reading the forums for the past 2.5 months that I've been using MFP to lose weight.

I thought I was doing so well - I've lost 11 kg (25 lbs) so far, and I have had so much motivation. It's been ridiculously easy to lose weight so far. However, all of a sudden this week, I feel terrible. I feel depressed, stressed, tired (about life in general...I have exams coming up etc.) and my appetite has just SOARED. And so for the past few week, I have gone over my 1200 calorie limit by anywhere from 400-700 calories. It's really depressing me, and I'm really scared I'm going to gain back all the weight I've lost so far if I keep going like this.

How can I get back on the horse again? I've not had any motivation problems up until now, so I don't really know what to do with myself. I'm dreading my weigh-in day on Monday.

Also, is it possible/wise for me to make up the damage of the last few days by having deficits that equal the amount I've exceeded my weekly calorie limit by?

Thanks in advance,
magnetic cat

Replies

• Jconner30
    Options
    Take a couple of days off to rest... After those two days of rest - hit it again. You cant give up!
  • smitchell37
    smitchell37 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Im sorry I dont have any advise for you. I am in the same boat. I did really good this year up til july. I lost about 30 lbs then we went on vacation in July and I cant seem to get it back together and I have gained 6 lbs.

Great job so far and good luck finding your motivation
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    My advice is to just right back in ASAP, and try exercising really hard as well! You CAN make up for the damage that was done!
    Also, remember that being in a deficit of 500 calories per day actually means a maintain - so you are not doing that bad!

I know that I also have my bad weeks. Just try to push through it to the best of your abilities, and you will finish the week so PROUD of what you did!!! ;) I promise that this will leave you encouraged and on your way to finding your motivation again!

BEST OF LUCK!!
  • Mguilmot
    Mguilmot Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Just forget the bad days. Start all over again, and forget the past. There will be weeks where you will hit through the roof because of <fill in reason here> :-) Do not try to make it up, just start again. There will be great weeks, and there will be bad weeks.
    In the long run, if you hold on, you will win this battle.
  • socialite1
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss so far! Great job!! The key is to take it one day at a time. If you go over your calories one day, do better the next. Don't make it an excuse to continue to go over your calories day after day. Mix up your workout routine to keep from getting bored and set non-scale goals (i.e. running a 5k or being able to do 25 push ups in a row, etc.) to keep you motivated and have something to get excited about besides the number on the scale.
  • TopazCarey
    Options
    Since school started, I've been feeling the same. My motivation isn't what it used to be. And I've been eating way more than I used too. But I do think it's okay to have greater defecits because some people do there calories by the week. So if you're over some days and under other days it should all balance out in the end. Good luck getting back on track. =)
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't panic. Maybe you're just going through some stressful things (like you said, exams and such). If it was me, I would change my goal setting to either "lose 1/2 lb a week" or "Maintain weight" for a week or two until the stressful times are over. That way, even if you're not losing as fast or at all, you're not gaining and you can eat a little more every day. Sometimes, those red numbers are stressing us out and we think we're going to gain when really, we're still under our maintenance calories.

Try not to worry too much. Change your goals for a short time until you can get through the rough patch and then remotivate with a good weekend of healthy eating and exercising, or take a class doing something new.

Good luck!
  • vdonalds
    vdonalds Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You're not the only one. When the weather becomes colder a lot of folks do the same thing, myself included. Make sure to spend some time outside walking when it is nice and sunny. Also, try to find some ways to relax and get more sleep. Sounds like you may also be an emotional eater. (I personally crave carbs and sweets when tired and stressed out.)
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel and I'm in a similar position. I wouldn't increase your deficit but do some extra exercise instead. It will help to elevate your mood as well as getting rid of the sins of the previous weeks!

All the best XX
  • lulupallooza
    lulupallooza Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I agree with Mguilmot - start over. Start fresh. :-)

We've all been there and in my experience, if I stopped doing what I was doing, I gained more wait, which got me less motivated.

Just let today go and tomorrow, start anew!!

All the best to you!
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    You can either pull it together or head on the way you were before you started losing. Nothing anyone can say here is going to help you, this comes from inside not other people.

Best of luck to you either way, i hope you manage to decide wether you want to lose the weight or not.
  • JessicaEPope
    JessicaEPope Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Firstly WELL DONE! You have done brilliantly so far!

Before you beat yourself up about things, realize how far you really have come! Be grateful it's been easy for you so far and recognize that this isn't always the case and its the times where you push through the difficulties that you will really be proud of :D

I'm also a stress eater, so i know where you're coming from, it's only because i can actually see that I've done well so far that I am carrying on. I can see the difference and feel the difference I've already made to my body and keep in mind that I'm in this for the long haul. You have done so well so far!

The thing that helps me is finding something i can nibble on when i'm stressed such as ice pops (as they are essentially just flavored ice, i get the ones that are less than 1cal, no sugar) which means i can nibble away as much as I like if i'm stressed. It took me a long time to stop leaning on food for comfort. You could make sure what you are eating is healthy and filling to keep up with your appetite, and realize that even with eating the extra 700 cals, you're still 100 under the daily allowance for women anyway!

I had motivation problems at the beginning rather than now, but I just tried to make it non negotiable that I exercise, also by colouring in my calendar when I've done exercise makes me realize how few of my days are coloured in which helps motivate me. Being confronted with what I am eating and exercising by using MFP really helps visualize things too.

Sorry if I rambled on a bit, feel free to add me as a friend if you need any more support. you've already proven you can do it, don't give up now!!!
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Just get right back into it. Don't keep feeling bad about the days you were off, we all have days like that and worrying about them now won't change what happened. Forget all about them and move on. Today is a new day. Sometimes you have to ignore the voices in your head talking you down and just keep on moving. Maybe look through the forums for the motivational quotes or read some success stories to help you remember why you are here and how much you want to gain by losing weight and being healthy. Always works for me :) And congrats on the loss! That's amazing!
  • yolandawilson
    yolandawilson Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i get like that every other month i found taking a zumba class are yoga helps its something different and exciting and it will pick the lack of motivation up good luck sweety
  • gertieblueboots
    Options
    Quick answer to the deficit idea: No. Don't do that! It might work, but when you resume normal calorie levels it's likely to come back. Plus, you're talking about eating 800 calories a day, and that's not a good idea. You might even get into starvation mode and then you'll be extra frustrated because you'll be ravenous AND you won't lose weight.

As for finding your motivation, one of the mental tricks I've used is to lay it out in very stark terms. Overeating, being overweight/obese, having unhealthy habits, these things will KILL you. If I go back to my original weight and keep eating the way I was, I can most likely expect a heart attack in the next 15 years. And if not, by the time I'm in my 50's my knees will probably be total crap because I've abused them so long making them walk around with ME on top of them. If you carry on you bad habits you will die early, probably much sooner than you think.

Now think; if you choose food over that, you've just said that pizza is more important than your own life. Are you so weak? So addicted to bad food that you would choose a slice of cake today over many good years of life later? NO, you are NOT! And you have to remind yourself of that. I regularly pass by foods I should not eat, and I've taken to staring right at them and telling them they suck and I'm too cool for them. I'm all "what, you think you can make me eat you, cake? Think again, punk!"

And you've done that for a while. You lost 25lbs.! That's no lean feat, my friend. You've proven that you're good enough. Doesn't that feel good? Just remind yourself of that, as often as you can.

Maybe that's a male thing, I don't know. I'm not sure of you gender. But self improvement is a big part of this process. Knowing my will is too strong to give into temptation, knowing that I'm extending my life and improving the quality of my life by exerting that will, THAT has been my biggest motivation.

Plus, chicks dig the leaner me, so ya know...there's that ;)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Remember that even if you don't stay under your 1200 calories a day, at least don't go over your normal daily limit. That way you won't gain weight. If you're that stressed, why not just go to a normal limit for a week or so (keep exercising), so you don't feel so deprived? Sometimes sticking to a diet can be too much when you're stressed out in every way possible, and will just make you blow the whole thing and eat everything in sight.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    i hear ya..this has been a horrible month for me..i think its the changing weather..i usually do so well, but the past 3 weeks have been mean to me..i have only lost less than 1/2 a pound this month..it is very frustrating, and i want to give up often, but my motivation is knowing i will be healthy at the end of this journey..get back to it when you can..best of luck
  • lannlynn
    lannlynn Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    First and foremost you have done an awesome job!! YOU have every right to be proud of yourself!! BE PROUD!!! This is a journey. It's about changing your lifestyle and for me it''s about being healthy! YOU can do this! So you have a bit of a hard time. DO NOT GIVE UP!! We all go through rough times. We all go over calories. I had a really bad week last week but I told myself, it's only a week so get back to it! I did!

I think you need to concentrate on what you've done so far and how it makes you feel. Motivation is a big factor! But the key is to NOT give up!
  • LisaDodson
    LisaDodson Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up about it, just keep trudging on.

Just a suggestion: A great way to stay on track is to make your food the day before. Plan each meal and snack and make them the evening before. Even if you just put the ingredients for the meal in a baggie and pop it in the cupboard or fridge. This way, when you are planning the meal, you aren't dealing with any cravings or hunger issues. And when you go to the cupboard to grab your meal, you're not really making any choices then.
  • magneticcat
    magneticcat Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much to every single person who has replied. Honestly. I can't tell you how much I just needed to feel like I was connecting with some people in the same boat. I am going to keep reading and re-reading these comments, and already I feel like I can get back on track tomorrow. You've all given me some great food for thought, so to speak. ;)
    Good luck to everyone who is also still trying to lose weight. I can't wait to come back later and tell you that I've made it through the next few days more successfully - and perhaps hear your stories, too!