Afib Scare!

Options
Hi there. This is my first posting in here so I hope what I talk about is okay.

I have been an afib pt for over 7 years now, and have until recently been fine, in good sinus rhythm. Then we moved and the new cardiologist began making this and that change and wants to do an ablation. I'm going for a second opinion. I don't see a reason for it.

Anyway, I asked about diet changes. I admit I haven't been a good girl for the past four years. Though I did lose some weight (mostly due to covid) I haven't lost near enough and well, my eating has been crappy.

Today's scare has me going and I'm restarting the medication that worked but I am also wondering how afib can be helped by diet and weight loss.

If anyone knows of some good links or has a personal story, please share.

Thank you!

Replies

• CmonlmonNH
    CmonlmonNH Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree you should get a second and even a third opinion until your questions are answered regarding the necessity for an ablation. I did have an ablation in 2018 and everything was fine until recently when I started having some arrhythmia. So far medication has things under control. It’s a serious procedure and you need to have complete faith in your doctors and their assessment. Best to you.
  • BigNorthernBearYouTube
    Options
    Hi Lady

I suggest you read "The AFIB Cure" although the title sounds a bit scammy its actually written by two electrophysiologists and is FULL of ways you can treat afib through lifestyle interventions.

The book changed my life. I have lost over a hundred pounds and made so many positive changes, and it all started in part with that book.

As for the ablation and other measures I would suggest to you this simple fact. AFIB is a progressive disease, if you are not pushing back against it, it progresses. It has a known and clear progressive path from paroxysmal to persistent to permanent. How far along that scale you go will depend on partly on you and partly on luck. Who is to say how much of each?

Ablations have a high success rate, so does weight loss if you are overweight but sounds like you likely are not, and maybe that is why it was offered, so you could slow or stop the progression.

AFIB also progresses with age, and age is pretty much out of our control. If can be one of those lucky people who find ablation to be an actual cure..

These are hard choices only you can make.

Cheers