Soda Free September - anybody with me?

Options

Replies

• mamashatzie
    mamashatzie Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    16 days now!! Except for a little bit of orange juice and some crystal light, I've had NOTHING but water for 16 days! Considering I used to drink 2-4 32oz sodas per day, this is great. I find myself liking water more and drinking it more readily.
  • manorexicmarshmallow
    Options
    Good luck folks! I drink like 6-7 cans of diet coke a day b/c my work gives them out free, and wish I could quit, but I feel like I don't have enough willpower to maintain my diet AND stop drinking diet soda, so I'm going to get to my goal weight than try to stop drinking soda. Hopefully by then I'll have a new job which doesnt have free diet sodas.
  • darlalu00
    darlalu00 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Well it's day 19 of the Soda Free September Challenge, I'm proud to say that I have been soda free and loving it! I feel so much better!!! 11 more to go!
  • mamashatzie
    Options
    Congrats to everyone who's made it this far!!!

I am SO hydrated these days! I used to always struggle with mild dehydration because I didn't like water. I'm still not a fan, but it's a lot easier to drink these days.

My husband and I were discussing this last night....I don't think I'll ever go back to drinking soda. Not because I don't want to--I do. So bad. But I know that if I start drinking it again, I won't be able to stop and I'll undo all this hard work. I don't think I could be happy with soda once a month or so, and so I think I'm better off without it.
  • Emdog24
    Emdog24 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to make this a permanent thing as well - I'm sure the guy at the 7-11 across from my office is going to miss me but oh well :)
  • EPICSRT
    EPICSRT Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I also thought about making a permanent change. So far the last 19 days have not been a problem, and I don't think continuing past 30 days would be an issue.
  • dmorant
    Options
    I'm in!!!! I have been doing it for a week and when I saw this post I knew it was what I needed to keep it going. I typically drink a 2 liter bottle of pepsi a day. I did switch to Diet Rite (0 calories, 0 sodium, 0 carbs) for a bit but just couldn't keep that going. Now I am doing nothing but water with a glass of skim milk for dinner. I HATED water but am used to it now. Feeling pretty good too. I lost 4 lbs my first week and did not adjust my eating or exercise habits. I purposely wanted to see what the soda was doing to me. Now, I bring in the exercise this week. Next week, I am cutting out carbs completely.

I am always looking for support friends so if anyone is looking for another buddy on our journeys please feel free to 'friend" me. :)

Good luck to us all!
    DeeDee
  • Emdog24
    Options
    Hey DeeDee - congrats on your progress so far! But I urge you to not cut out carbs completely! Cutting out soda completely is one thing - there is no nutritional value in it. But carbs are very important for a balanced diet and shouldn't be eliminated! Instead I would try cutting back on refined carbs (found in white bread, white rice) and make sure the carbs you do get are complex carbs (whole wheat bread, oatmeal, etc.). I don't mean to be preachy but I know from experience that cutting out major food groups for weight loss purposes only backfires in the end!
    I'm in!!!! I have been doing it for a week and when I saw this post I knew it was what I needed to keep it going. I typically drink a 2 liter bottle of pepsi a day. I did switch to Diet Rite (0 calories, 0 sodium, 0 carbs) for a bit but just couldn't keep that going. Now I am doing nothing but water with a glass of skim milk for dinner. I HATED water but am used to it now. Feeling pretty good too. I lost 4 lbs my first week and did not adjust my eating or exercise habits. I purposely wanted to see what the soda was doing to me. Now, I bring in the exercise this week. Next week, I am cutting out carbs completely.

I am always looking for support friends so if anyone is looking for another buddy on our journeys please feel free to 'friend" me. :)

Good luck to us all!
    DeeDee
  • Emdog24
    Options
    Home stretch peoples!! Still haven't given into temptation after 3 weeks! I've also noticed that I've broken through a mini-plateau and finally starting dropping a few lbs again - I'm NOT attributing that entirely to cutting out soda (was only drinking diet anyways) I thinks it's a combination of being on track financially leads to being on track OVERALL with other stuff in life, including eating behavior. And when I start to think about the costs of weekend overeating (one of my biggest challenges), that definitely helps in halting the overeating before it stops.

I've also noticed I've been less hungry during the day which may be a result of cutting out soda and its accompanying artificial sweeteners, which I've read have the potential to mess your eating "triggers". For example, if I'm thirsty and I drink water, the thirst is satisfied, but if I drank soda, I may be temporarily satisfied but still be thirsty soon after which I may then misinterpret as hunger ("well if i already drank something and my body still needs something, it must be food!"). Keep in mind I was drinking A LOT of soda - I am NOT anti artificial sweeteners at all, I think they're fine in moderation (in my morning coffee, sweetening up my oatmeal, etc.) but I don't think they're were meant to be consumed in mass quantities as I was doing before.

How's everybody else doing?
  • mamashatzie
    Options
    We've almost made it!!!

I've noticed that my consumption of fast food has gone way way down. Frankly it just doesn't taste as good without a Dr Pepper to wash it down.
  • darlalu00
    Options
    22 days in and still going strong!
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I still have even had a SIP of soda....its soooo crazy that ive went this long without it! But, i really don't think abou tit that much now that i haven't been drinking it
  • EPICSRT
    Options
    One month almost done!! I am surprised I made it this long without so much as a drop of soda. Kind of scared to drink any after the month is over cause I do t want to fall into old patterns. I guess I will have to see how long I last after the 30 days is over!

Hope you are all having as much success as I am!
  • darlalu00
    Options
    One day left and I'm proud to say still SODA FREE!!!! I believe I can stay soda free for good this time!
  • Emdog24
    Options
    O to the MG - is it really September 30?? 30 days without soda and I'm still alive!!!!
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    2 cans in 2 years.

On New Years I let myself get a little wild and get into the Orange Crush.

I base how much I'm allowed to drink on how well I've behaved that year.

Last New Years I drank 2, this year I'm thinkin 4!
  • EPICSRT
    Options
    Today is day 30, but I'm going to see how much long I can last!

Emdog24: Thank you for posting your thread when you did. If you hadn't, I'd probably still be sitting here at work at 7:30 AM sipping on a 52oz fountain drink from a local Chevron. I can't believe I've gone 30 days without any soda and am surprised at how easy it was for me to make it the 30 days.

I will continue to be soda free!
  • darlalu00
    Options
    It's day 30....still soda free and staying this way! I feel so much better and I have way more energy. Thank you for posting this challenge!
  • Emdog24
    Options
    Thanks to all of YOU for helping keep ME motivated! This is the first time I've been successful in quitting soda and doing the challenge with all of you guys is what made it possible!
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    Thank you Emily for starting such an awesome challenge! I made it through the month with no sodas and it definitely got easier as the month progressed. I'm liking water more and more! I can honestly say I have zero interest in Coke Zero. :happy: