Eating cutoff times

Options
The last primary care physician I saw a year ago recommended that I not eat past 6pm. I know of course eating just before bed is definitely not recommended, but I don’t want to be hungry either.

Has this guideline ever worked for anyone? How did you maintain it and still feel satisfied at the end of the day? Thanks.

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,531 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Why did they give you that advice?

Was it a suggestion to help you lose weight? If so, the key takeaway is calories in calories out, and losing a late night snack or dessert is an easy way to save a bunch of unnecessary calories. Whether you finish eating by 6pm or 8pm or whatever is irrelevant though.

If they were trying to suggest intermittent fasting, e.g. 16/8 is popular (fast for 16 hours, eat during 8 hours), that's another method of caloric restriction, assuming you aren't binging during those 8 hours. Or depending on your schedule maybe it could be 14/10 or whatever.
  • PrettyWhenSheSmiles
    Options
    The way the doctor put it is that eating immediately before bed was going to make the calories stick to me. I think her telling me not to eat past 6pm was her way of broaching the weight topic without offending me.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Right, so the doc is saying you need to lose calories, and late night calories are an easy thing to lose, or at least substitute for a healthier option. That sounds easier for the doc than getting into a whole big topic about diet, CICO, etc.
  • PrettyWhenSheSmiles
    Options
    Yeah, I don’t mind honesty at all if it’s tactful. I know I’m overweight.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,968 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm not sure people really know what being hungry is really like, and not eating for a few hours doesn't really qualify. It's a mental game for sure. Saying that, not eating at night is a good strategy if someone is prone to grazing on snacks and it's something that I incorporated years ago and while sometimes it's hard to avoid, mostly for social reasons, it's very effective and is good training to support the commitment to adapt a lifestyle change and keeps the journey going in the right direction. Good luck.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    These days I don't eat after dinner, dinner for me is usually done by 7:30.

It means I'm not mindlessly eating stuff for the sake of it. It seems that my digestion prefers it, and means that there is at least 12 hours until breakfast.

There's no magic though, just a habit that works well for me. Might be worth giving it a try for a few weeks to see how you get on. Probably from a later time though, no clue how anyone has something on the table by 6.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Right, so the doc is saying you need to lose calories, and late night calories are an easy thing to lose, or at least substitute for a healthier option. That sounds easier for the doc than getting into a whole big topic about diet, CICO, etc.

^^This.

I know when I was overweight I ate mindlessly all the time. I don't need to eat after dinner, I just did it out of habit and because the food was there.

Losing weight is all about finding personal life strategies that help to cut back on eating, whatever those strategies might be. We know most of them, keeping reading and posting here and you may find many that help you.

I started with logging all my food here. That in itself was a mind-opening experience.

Welcome to the site. Losing weight changed my life. I hope you find the same.
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I do fasted cardio first thing in the morning. If I have nothing to eat after 6pm I ended up dragging my butt the next morning.
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Like many others here, I just needed to break the habit of night snacking. I was too fond of making a half ham sandwich and downing a full glass of milk when I’d have insomnia. I don’t get heartburn at night anymore either.

Sometimes if I have calories to spare I’ll eat something small and protein or fiber rich, depending on what I need that day. Yogurt or a small bowl of raisin bran do the trick.

Once I click the complete button, I’m done.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,968 Member
    Options
    I think Time Restricted Eating or feeding (TRE/TRF) is a little misunderstood. It has nothing to do with weight loss or dieting. Losing weight is about CICO, that's the bottom line. You can lose weight even if you eat every 4 hours 24 hours a day but still is less than your body requires.

I agree that there's many factions that use terms of IF to sell product, diet plans, supplements etc. Lets face it, with the vast majority of people overweight and obese it's definitely fertile ground and people like a good story and will definitely part with their cash for a quick result. imo. cheers
  • ADC0809
    ADC0809 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think having a cut off time for eating can work for some but maybe not everyone. I understand your feelings that maybe that was a way for your Dr. to address the issue without addressing the issues. I honestly think doctors know what conversations we are ready for ones we are not. Only you know your eating and activity habits. I did a month of intermittent fasting ending my eating at 7:00pm due to my schedule and it did end the evening snacking and definitely helped my sleeping. But overall the IF did not work for me and my schedule. I will revisit the end of the day meal again and hopefully that will address my night snacking issues.