Homemade sugar free jam

Options
For years I'd been looking for sugar free jam. Yeah there are some that do not list sugar as sugar. Instead the manufacturers list sugar as dextrose, sucrose, maltose, etc. I happen to watch a video of some homesteaders boiling blackberries or blueberries. And I thought - there's my sugar free jam. So I dump a one pint container of store bought blueberries into a sauce pan, add a few tbs of lemon juice and water. I simmer all this until the berries release their moisture and the skins begin to breakdown about 30 min. I let it cool down a bit and blend it just a short 5 or 10 seconds until it's the consistency I like. I like it a little chunky. Then stir in an amount of stevia granules until it is as sweet as I like. Added sugar in jams acts as a preservative. I use the lemon juice for that. My batches are small enough that they keep well in the fridge for a couple of weeks.

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    Sounds good.

I'm sure there are recipes in diabetic cookbooks for sugar free jam and such products on the market

But great you have found your own version to make!
  • raisinj83
    raisinj83 Posts: 4 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Yeah, the reason jams are so sweet is because the sugar is the preservative. You wouldn't be able to make a shelf stable jam that lasts for months or a year without it, but just like with quick fridge pickles, lots of similar things for your own use and quick consumption are possible.
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    i make healthy strawberry jam in the microwave and it only takes 10 mins, stirring once halfway ;)

i use16oz whole strawberries/1.5 tbsp lemon juice/50 grams of purecane zero sugar and i add a tbsp of chia seeds after taking jam out of microwave.. mine makes 2- 6-7ish oz and i freeze one of the jam jars the next day (freezes and defrosts well). i've even use a bag of defrosted frozen strawberries and it worked well too (i add about a tbsp more chia seeds when i use frozen bags since has more liquid and i like my jam thicker).
  • 406MamaBear
    406MamaBear Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the good ideas!!!