Magnesium

Options
thebunnies1
thebunnies1 Posts: 1 Member
Hi. Does the premium track MAGNESIUM? I need somehow to track this. Thanks!!

Answers

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Premium tracks the exact same things as the free version. Database entries for food are crowdsourced by other users and most of that information comes from nutritional labels. There are numerous micronutrients that aren't required by the FDA to be on a food label so if that information isn't provided on a label, it's not going to be reflected in the entry. Also consider that many people who create database entries don't necessarily include all available information. IMO, tracking micronutrients on MFP is an exercise in futility and you're never going to get accurate picture.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Premium tracks the exact same things as the free version. Database entries for food are crowdsourced by other users and most of that information comes from nutritional labels. There are numerous micronutrients that aren't required by the FDA to be on a food label so if that information isn't provided on a label, it's not going to be reflected in the entry. Also consider that many people who create database entries don't necessarily include all available information. IMO, tracking micronutrients on MFP is an exercise in futility and you're never going to get accurate picture.

^^ This. The vast majority of entries in the database do not have entries for micronutrients, not because they don't have them, but because the information is not on the label, or even if it is, people haven't included it when filling out the profile.
  • gweppler
    gweppler Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I’d like to advocate that MFP introduces a way to track magnesium, and other micronutrients. I’ve read that MFP only tracks the nutrients required by the FDA. Similar apps, like Cronometer, track more than the FDA requirements and I cannot imagine it would be a big lift for developers given the great foundation MFP is built on.
This discussion has been closed.