deep thoughts on Skinny *****

Options
Have you read the book 'Skinny *****' by Rory Freedman & Kim Barnouin?
What are your thoughts on it?
Do you think most of it is made up or the real deal? Is it all about 'animal rights' you think? I know we have to take everything we read/see nowadays with a grain of salt...

BUT..I just read the chapter on meat and I'm so very very disgusted by it!
They make eating meat so darn 'dangerous' and disgusting! It made me think about giving up meat but I'm not sure if what they wrote is mostly hype or truth. There is some good stuff our body gets from meat...
I have 2 young children, picky eaters too, so I would have to get really really creative with food if I give up meat! \

One thing is sure, the part about dairy products really opened my eyes. Put everything in a different perspective.
I am officially off dairy for the next 5 weeks starting today (5 weeks because MFP tells me 'in 5 weeks you will weight XXX'

Please share your thoughts on this book.

Replies

• chocoholicandbaby
    Options
    I haven;t actually read it, but worked in a bookstore when it came out. Being a skinny ***** myself at the time I didn't feel like it was something I needed to read lol

So what do they say about meat and dairy that makes it so heinous?
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    It's definately not the best vegan book out there, but it does have many truths. I enjoyed it, but took a lot of the info like you said "with a grain of salt".

There are better books out there about why it's a good idea to cut back or eliminate meat and dairy from your diet. My favorite one (the book that made me vegan) is The Kind Diet.
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I have not read this book, but I have watched a documentary called "Food Matters" its on Netflix and it's about similar things. It's a lot about scientific research of how a plant based diet is better for us. They show articles and you can pause the show and look up the article right on your comp to verify. I thought it was a pretty convincing argument. Its hard I think to start a plant based diet I have been slowly cutting out meat and dairy and adding more plants being careful to make sure the veggies I"m eating have calcium and protein in them.
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I, personally, haven't read the book, but I did cut dairy out of my life for a good five years. I'm lactose intolerant so I thought "Score! Less fat = weight loss, right?!" I won't comment about cutting out meat since I live on that stuff, especially as a weight lifter, but I know about the milk product thing.

The truth is this - when I started drinking the lactose-free milk, I noticed an instant change. Also, I learned from Dr. Oz and through personal trials that yogurt has a different kind of lactose than other dairy products, so it's safe for me to eat. Cheese, sour cream, etc. is all still unsafe so I haven't brought those into my diet. (Not unless I want to kill all the inhabitants of the room I'm in...hehe)

The change I noticed was that as soon as I incorporated milk and yogurt regularly into my diet, I have LOST weight.

Now this is my personal experience with it, but I was forty pounds larger when I didn't drink milk or eat yogurt. Granted I was making other terrible food choices, but diets NEVER worked. Plus, ever since I've been working out as hard as ever, I've needed more calories to replace the ones that I've burned. Also, the milk has great sugar, protein, and carbs that you need after a workout.

Cutting out dairy is a serious thing, especially for as long of a time as 5 weeks. Maybe consult a nutritionist or a doctor before giving it up?
  • cjsanford63
    cjsanford63 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I read that book about 5 years ago, and have been a vegetarian every since. Yes you should take it with a grain of salt, there are truths there as well. For me it became not being the reason an animal dies. I won't spend my dollars on that. It seems hard at first, but really does get easier as time goes by. And with more and more people making the choice to forgo meat, there are more and more reciepes and alternative options available. Ultimately you have to do what feels most right to you.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    It is an extreme book, but they are correct on how the animals are treated and the harm that meat (especially processed, non-organic) can do to the body. After reading that and The Kind Diet, (and various other documentaries and studies) , I have been vegetarian since January. I still eat VERY limited amounts of organic egg and cheese and hope to cut that out too gradually. But I eat mostly vegan foods.

You need to decide for yourself if cutting out meat is right for you by doing a lot of research and reading pros and cons. Don't let anyone make the decision for you. And you might want to do it gradually- experimenting and trying new non-meat products to see what you like. After I became vegetarian, I didn't force my husband to become one, but I told him I would no longer be cooking with it but he was welcome to eat whatever he wants. He started liking my veg meals so much, he decided to cut out all meat too except fish (so he's pescatarian). :)

I believe the original Skinny ***** book has a lot of processed food recipes for beginners starting out in the lifestyle. You might want to check out this one: Skinny *****: Ultimate Everyday Cookbook: Crazy Delicious Recipes that Are Good to the Earth and Great for Your Bod ... more whole-food recipes :)
  • tizzy22
    tizzy22 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've always been interested in this topic but my questions have always come back to the same thing - how can i ensure i'm getting enough protein and calcium in my diet if I'm not eating and drinking meat and dairy. Does anyone know of any alternatives that they can share (besides beans - they just don't work for me). I feel that until I can find something as an alternative that I can love just as much as I enjoy a good steak then I just can't give it up. Don't get my wrong, I'm very picky when it comes to the meat we eat - we try to go organic as much as we can, but when it comes down to it, I can't force myself to eat something I can't stomach to swallow!
  • Soooze
    Soooze Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I didn't eat any meat from 1997-1999. I didn't lose weight. I was healthy, felt ok. I was in Indonesia where I didn't trust or know what meat I was eating so I just didn't eat any.
    Now after reading this book, it makes me wonder if I should trust the meat I eat here in Canada. And, is organic is really organic? Is it also a money grab? In a couple years from now, are we going to hear that all of us organic-eating people are going to grow a 3d eye?

I guess we'll never know until we get that 3d eye!
    I find it frustrating to try to make healthy eating choices but unless I have my own farm and garden, I can not rely on any of the food labels.
  • cjsanford63
    cjsanford63 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I used to work for a company that sold organic product and maintained our certification... If a product has a certified organic seal, it is organic. They are regulated and checked regularly. No hormones, no antibiotics, no GMO (genetically modified) and even regulations on how product is produced and packaged. Now free range is another story, no regulations there.
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the book. From what I have heard, it's a bit vulgar and over the top for my tastes. I am an engineer and I like a more analytical approach to convince me.

If you want to understand the specifics of why meat, eggs and dairy are bad for you, watch the new documentary "Forks Over Knives". If you like reading, get "The China Study". These media approach diet from a health standpoint and (in my opinion) clearly demonstrate a link between meat/dairy consumption and nearly all of the modern illnesses we are experiencing as a wealthy society (heart disease, stroke, cancer, diabetes, obesity and many auto-immune diseases). I don't even think the word vegan is mentioned in either the book or the movie.

Changing your diet isn't that complicated and you will notice physical benefits immediately. Osteoporosis and hip fractures are highest in the societies that consume the most dairy products. Don't believe all the hype about how important milk is for calcium. The statistics and studies show otherwise.
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I've always been interested in this topic but my questions have always come back to the same thing - how can i ensure i'm getting enough protein and calcium in my diet if I'm not eating and drinking meat and dairy. Does anyone know of any alternatives that they can share (besides beans - they just don't work for me). I feel that until I can find something as an alternative that I can love just as much as I enjoy a good steak then I just can't give it up. Don't get my wrong, I'm very picky when it comes to the meat we eat - we try to go organic as much as we can, but when it comes down to it, I can't force myself to eat something I can't stomach to swallow!

This is the common fear that is perpetuated by the animal farming industry. Nearly all plant foods contain protein, carbohydrates and fat, and in the amounts that our bodies need. One added bonus is that they also contain fiber, which you cannot find in animal products. The amount of protein that most people need is minimal. There are even vegan bodybuilders and athletes that get enough protein from plants.

Many plants contain calcium. If you are not consuming meat products, the calcium is readily absorbed by your body in the amounts it needs. Again, I would mention the studies indicating the countries with the highest rates of hip fractures are the countries with the highest consumption of dairy products. There is solid science to support and explain this conclusion.

Please watch the movie "Forks Over Knives". It's available on Netflix.