Respawning (After Eight Years)

Options
xxghost
xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
Hey all! I’m Shelby (Ghost). I’m a 29 year old teacher-turned-stay at home mom. I have a two year old son. I love writing, roleplaying, cosplaying, traveling, and skiing.

When it comes to weight loss, I’m a train wreck.

I joined MFP in January of 2013. Since then, I’ve graduated college, taught social studies, married my husband, had a kid, moved a bunch of times, and gained like 80 pounds. On MFP, I’ve run a dozen successful weight loss challenges, and been inspired by the most incredible people, but I’ve failed to meet my own goals. I’ve gone the opposite direction.

I have over 100 pounds to lose. I don’t feel comfortable riding horses (my oldest love) at this weight. I don’t like how I look in my cosplays. I don’t even fit on Millenium Force. I want to have another kid, and I want to be healthier for it, and my son. I need help doing that.

I’m hoping to make some friends, and join a community that will keep me accountable. I don’t feel comfortable showing my journal yet, but having a hype team would make all the difference. People to comment on my stuff, check in when I’ve disappeared, cheer me on when things get hard. And I’d love to do the same for other people. If you’re willing, or/or have recommendations for an active challenge or group, please let me know!

Thanks for reading my novel! <3

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you know what you need to DO, so I will save you my usual spiel.

There are lots of groups and challenges. You've been around almost as long as I have, time wise, you know where to find them. Jump in. It sounds like you know you do well (or at least enjoy) the external motivation (I do not so you won't find me anywhere near those places lol)

You are welcome to add me as a friend, but I may not be the type of friend you need or want. I am very supportive and encouraging (I think lol) and certainly very active, but I am not going to chase after you to do the things you should be doing (or feel you should be doing). But if you want to whine about water weight masking weight loss, or celebrate a non scale victory, or show off your new running shoes, or whine about your kids or husband, or show what you made for dinner.... I'm your girl! As for me, I talk about my dogs, and farm, husband, life in general and usually try to make it funny. Your diary .... you could never open it, and I'd never know, because literally the only time I look is when someone asks for help with it (or asks a question where logging could be an issue).

In any case, best of luck to you Shelby!
  • GetFitFatBastard
    Options
    Let's go Shelby,,, one thing i have learnt over the years is we are our own worst critics.... but the past is the past and what we are now is only a moment in time.. the future is what we are focusing on. For me this is one day at a time,,, you got this, you've done it before by the sounds of things, it may take longer this time to reach any target you have but sometimes the journey is the best part and most enjoyable
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,293 Member
    Options
    Ah yes.

Here’s my one big secret tip:

DON’T GIVE UP
    No matter what. Keep logging your food. Keep at it.

Mistakes happen. We get bogged down with life. Roll with it. Keep going.
    Sometimes you need to switch up tactics. But no matter what, don’t stop.

That’s the trick.
    Keep going. No matter what.

That’s what works. That’s the only thing that works. And it means keep going after you hit maintenance too.

Keep. On. Going.
  • xxghost
    Options
    Thanks for the wise words, guys. Friend requests sent. :)
  • xxghost
    Options
    Just bumping this because it’s still true a year later - I just have an additional baby now. 😂
  • CurvyEmmy
    CurvyEmmy Posts: 225 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Hi!! I really hope we can be friends!! I have struggled a lot too :( I have always been plus size my whole life - I have a naturally larger body and I’m okay with that!! But during the pandemic I was scared out of my mind and spent 2 years in my house laying on my bed all day afraid to go out anywhere, stressed out of my mind and bonded eating for comfort. By last summer I had gained 80 pounds! I tried really hard to get help on here, but unfortunately nothing worked for me and I continued to gain weight :( I now have over 100 pounds to lose but my more realistic goal is losing 30 pounds and getting down to around 250 pounds. I REALLY need someone who is gonna check in with me everyday and keep me accountable because I give up soooo easily. I have tried with some of the slim/fit girls on here but it’s frustrating that they don’t understand the struggle of weighting 270+ pounds so they have totally unrealistic expectations for how much exercise I am able to do or how little I’m able to eat!! I definitely prefer friends who are similar to me (100+ pounds to lose) because I don’t feel judged and I don’t feel presssured. I need a LOT of help and suppprt and affirmation and hype or I just DON’T feel any motivation to do anything. I really hope you can help me!!!
  • xxghost
    Options
    CurvyEmmy wrote: »
    Hi!! I really hope we can be friends!! I have struggled a lot too :( I have always been plus size my whole life - I have a naturally larger body and I’m okay with that!! But during the pandemic I was scared out of my mind and spent 2 years in my house laying on my bed all day afraid to go out anywhere, stressed out of my mind and bonded eating for comfort. By last summer I had gained 80 pounds! I tried really hard to get help on here, but unfortunately nothing worked for me and I continued to gain weight :( I now have over 100 pounds to lose but my more realistic goal is losing 30 pounds and getting down to around 250 pounds. I REALLY need someone who is gonna check in with me everyday and keep me accountable because I give up soooo easily. I have tried with some of the slim/fit girls on here but it’s frustrating that they don’t understand the struggle of weighting 270+ pounds so they have totally unrealistic expectations for how much exercise I am able to do or how little I’m able to eat!! I definitely prefer friends who are similar to me (100+ pounds to lose) because I don’t feel judged and I don’t feel presssured. I need a LOT of help and suppprt and affirmation and hype or I just DON’T feel any motivation to do anything. I really hope you can help me!!!

I completely understand the lack of motivation. I’m struggling with that myself!