Devil Sodium. Does anyone have a formula...

Options
to make it not a factor in your weight?

IE- my daily diet included 3,000mg of sodium. If I drink X amount of water in X amount of intervals throughout the day, sodium will not be a factor when i weigh in the next day.

Anyone???

I already drink a lot of water but I added the sodium column to my diet log a few days ago and was floored by my daily intakes.

Replies

• saivenkat02
    saivenkat02 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What does sodium have to do with your weight?
  • wutamunkee
    wutamunkee Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    whatever your regular sodium intake is , doesnt matter because it doesnt CONTINUE to add weight... so if you are 2-3 pounds heavier from salt, but you always eat the same.. you should just be consistently 2-3 pounds heavier...
  • wutamunkee
    wutamunkee Posts: 440 Member
    Options

makes you hold water weight...
  • haterhaze
    haterhaze Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure there's a magic formula, it probably differs for everyone. The best advice is to clean up your diet and remove as much processed foods as possible, and still chug that water.
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options

Sodium makes you retain water = "weight gain" ("water weight")

I don't have a formula. I try to stay under 1500, and am able to do that on days that I cook food from scratch. The more processed/pre-made food you consume, the higher your sodium intake will be as all that stuff is LOADED with sodium.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I think I read something yesterday about Orange Juice or maybe Potassium Rich foods in general helping your body to flush Sodium?! :ohwell: Has anyone else heard that?
  • mimi2kk
    mimi2kk Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Sorry, no magic formula to offer. You might want to consider reducing your sodium intake. Start slowly with small changes so you don't feel deprived. I, too, was shocked by how much sodium I was consuming when I first started tracking it. Now, I am able to keep it below 1500 most days. . . it has become another challenge for me.
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I don't have a formula. I try to stay under 1500, and am able to do that on days that I cook food from scratch. The more processed/pre-made food you consume, the higher your sodium intake will be as all that stuff is LOADED with sodium.
    [/quote]

This and I also drink alot of water.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I was checking out my sodium levels the last few days, too. It may seem obvious, but I really did notice that the days I ate processed food were worse sodium days than others. Good luck to you.
  • juleseybaby
    juleseybaby Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I seem to have been on a roll with the weight loss this week... one of the changes I made that I think contributed was drinking more water.

Sorry - I do not have a formula... but I drink at least the 8 cups - and when I go over on sodium - I drink way more!! One day I had 16 cups. Another - 13 cups. :bigsmile:
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I think I read something yesterday about Orange Juice or maybe Potassium Rich foods in general helping your body to flush Sodium?! :ohwell: Has anyone else heard that?
    Yes, I did! I took a peak at different "reports" the last few days, and noticed that my Potassium was low, so I looked up Potassium. The internet has a bunch of information indicating that Potassium helps to balance Sodium!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    High sodium is bad not only for water retention but for your cardiovascular system and kidneys as well. Drinking extra water can help flush excess sodium but it also flushes out other important electrolytes as well. Your best bet is to limit the amount of processed/prepackaged foods that you eat so that you avoid unnecessary amounts of sodium.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    to make it not a factor in your weight?

IE- my daily diet included 3,000mg of sodium. If I drink X amount of water in X amount of intervals throughout the day, sodium will not be a factor when i weigh in the next day.

Anyone???

I already drink a lot of water but I added the sodium column to my diet log a few days ago and was floored by my daily intakes.

3000mg is well above the UL for Sodium. I'm glad to see that you are looking at this. First step is to get this under control. I wouldn't worry about it regarding your weight right now because you are not going to continue this high sodium pattern :wink: Really look out for sodium in processed foods, including bread. Processed foods is the number one way American's (didn't look at where you are from) consume sodium. :smile:
  • jkuhn71
    jkuhn71 Posts: 199
    Options

Thanks for sharing this!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    As mentioned numerous times already, the only way to get a handle on your sodium is to stop eating food that comes in a box, deli meats, and other highly processed foods. I cook the majority of what I eat myself and the only time I go over in sodium is if I go out to eat.
  • Mixmode
    Mixmode Posts: 332
    Options
    I didn't think there was a "majic formula" but I hoping someone would share their method, if there was one.

But yeah see that's my problem. Working 2 jobs, I eat frozen diet meals frequently. Mainly cuz they are low cal and convenient. I gotta X them from my diet and plan my meals a lil better. The problem is every damn thing seems to have a ton!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Unless you are being treated for high blood pressure, there is nothing wrong with sodium. It may sometimes play a role in water retention, but not fat retention. The daily RDA for sodium is a roughly equivalent to the demonization of fat 20 years ago that helped make Americans obese to begin with.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I didn't think there was a "majic formula" but I hoping someone would share their method, if there was one.

But yeah see that's my problem. Working 2 jobs, I eat frozen diet meals frequently. Mainly cuz they are low cal and convenient. I gotta X them from my diet and plan my meals a lil better. The problem is every damn thing seems to have a ton!

Yes, unfortunately anything that is convenient is going to have too much sodium. :( Sorry you have to work so much. :( It will take some time and effort, but if you can prepare you meals in advance it will really help. You can do things like make a big batch of rice, chicken and broccoli (just a common example) or double your home cooked meals and freeze half for a later consumption. Other ways to reduce the sodium is to make only one meal a convenience meal. If you eat a microwave meal for lunch make sure your breakfast and dinner are not. HTH.