Need a kick in the *kitten*!

Options
I am battling with myself right now about whether or not I am going to work out tonight. This all takes place in my mind..here's the conversation:

me: I received the 30 day burn DVD two days ago and haven't done it yet. I want to start this evening!

ME: But you're recovering from a cold and are achey from sailing this past weekend, just wait another few days.

me: A few days turns into a week and a week turns into never. If I am going to complain about not losing weight and being exhausted all the time then I have to take the leap and start.

ME: But it is so much easier to go home, put on my yoga pants and t shirt, laze on the couch and watch House Hunters.

me: perhaps I should turn to MFP message boards and see if there is someway I can squash the other me!

Thanks for help and motivation!!

Replies

• lessardstroud
    Options
    BOOT aimed and ready! ha ha ha ... I feel you! I do not exercise and it's the one thing I haven't been able to make myself do ... so whatever motivation you can gain from your post ... I will vicariously receive inspiration through you! I should walk in the evening, I should go to the awesome gym that's free in my building at lunch, I should ... do a lot of things ... but I don't ... Okay ... target on my *kitten*, too! I need some kicking! ha ha ha
  • u2fergus
    u2fergus Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    House Hunter is SOOO not worth missing your workout for!!! :wink:

Seriously... get off your butt and go work up a sweat. If you really need to watch HH that badly, do some jumping jacks in front of the TV. Then when you're done, feel free to sit back and bask in the endorphins, knowing you did the right thing. Have fun! :bigsmile:
  • kellyisloved
    kellyisloved Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    That sounds terribly like my own conversations. I'm all determined, but then when it really comes down do it, I don't get up to do it.

If it helps, I started today with a little exercise, which is unusual for me :P, and I plan to walk around my parking lot at work on breaks since I don't have much time otherwise.

Just do it! You'll feel better and get past the cold and other achy sooner if you move and get your body pushing toward something healthier. Besides, I see 42 pounds to go on your ticker -- they won't come off on their own, right? :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    What will you do if you skip it? Go home then sit around and think about how you wasted the opportunity to go and work out? The wanna doers and gonna doers are the NEVER doers. You'll feel way better doing a workout, then sitting at home thinking about why you didn't do it. BUCK UP. Get a backbone instead of a wishbone!
  • kellyisloved
    kellyisloved Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    BOOT aimed and ready! ha ha ha ... I feel you! I do not exercise and it's the one thing I haven't been able to make myself do ... so whatever motivation you can gain from your post ... I will vicariously receive inspiration through you! I should walk in the evening, I should go to the awesome gym that's free in my building at lunch, I should ... do a lot of things ... but I don't ... Okay ... target on my *kitten*, too! I need some kicking! ha ha ha

If you walk this evening, I will... :)

Get moving!
  • smurfette75
    smurfette75 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    *KICK* You have officially been kicked in the *kitten*!!! Go home do the DVD, it's only 20 or so minutes, it will be over before you know it and you'll feel so much better when you are done!!
  • chrissaucier
    chrissaucier Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    One *kitten* kicking coming your way! Go home, put the workout clothes on and get the job done. Don't give yourself the time to make excuses, you'll feel better after the workout and that other ME will be weakened. Good luck!!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I love the internal convo and thanks for posting this. consider yourself booted. you ordered the DVDs for a reason. now use them. I'm sure you could have found a cheaper dust collector if that's what you let those DVDs end up becoming ;)

anyway, I was having the same internal convo today myself. I'm not feeling 100% and it would be easy to justify taking a 2nd straight recovery day. however, I know it would just be an excuse as I'm able to do some resistance training tonight.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    DVR Househunters and watch it after you work out.

Believe me, it gets easier and easier and you will actually start to look forward to your workouts. When I first started off, I'd have those same conversations with myself. Now I kick myself in the butt if I skip a workout for no good reason. I feel so much better and sleep so much better if I get a good workout in. Plus I get to eat more if I work out and as far as I'm concerned, that's a great thing!
  • bellawares
    bellawares Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I'm so like this when I try to use any of my exercise DVD's (I have more then I care to admit to:grumble: ). Try going for a walk instead or do something that you enjoy doing. It's a great way of tricking your mind into thinking your not exercising (lol).
  • Maria_Goose
    Options
    If you don't start now, you'll regret it for the rest of your life! o.o
  • spoiledwife12
    spoiledwife12 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    You spent good money on that DVD and you ARE going to use it! It's not an option!

I find just getting my workout clothes on increases my motivation to get moving. SO GET THOSE WORKOUT CLOTHES ON!!!

The time is going to pass anyway so make the most of it and GET MOVING!!! Then, you can stretch while watching House Hunters!! (One of my favs, too)

YOU WILL WORKOUT TONIGHT!!

No excuses, just get 'er done!!!

Got that?

Good!!

(How was that? :) )
  • JaenaM
    JaenaM Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Don't think just do. Stop entertaining the other u! Just nip it. Not another thought. Zip it!

You: gotta workout tonight just got DVD and can't wait
    Other you: yeah, but...
    You: ZIP IT!!!!
    other you: but but
    You: shush it!!!

All u gotta do is lace your shoes and put the DVD in; that's it. The workout will b over quickly; once the DVD starts that's when I stop thinking automatically. Don't think about working out. Just tie your shoes and put the DVD in...that's it. The rest will just happen.
  • Biglovelovesme
    Biglovelovesme Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Damn! My butt is sore from the kicking and I sooooo appreciate it. Each and every response said exactly what I need to hear. This right here is one of the many reasons I love MFP. If I had called one friend, or my sister or debated with my husband about what I should do tonight not one of them would have motivated me like you guys have. These are all people who love me and want to see me succeed but don't have the same type of investment as you guys do.
    Here's my plan;

1) I will put on my work out stuff
    2) I will DVR House Hunters
    3) I will weaken the ME by telling my excuses voice to "zip it"
    4) I will pick up, dust off and insert the DVD
    5) I will remind myself that this is less than a 1/2 hour of my evening
    6) I will NOT be a Wanna/Gonna/Never doer
    7) I will visualize having a backbone (one that my husband will be able to feel once the weight comes off)
    8) I will be tired, sweaty, alittle annoyed and probably still thinking of ways to get out of doing it, but I will be PROUD of myself
    9) I will let each of you kind people know how I did tomorrow.

:happy: :happy: :happy:
  • lessardstroud
    Options

If you walk this evening, I will... :)

Get moving!

Okay! I am going to do it and I will report back to you tomorrow!!! Let's do this!!! : ) (THANKS BTW!!!)
  • Mariannewww
    Options
    I had almost the exact convo with myself today I didn't get up early enough to do my insanity workout. I almost had myself convinced that I didn't need to do it today and could just take a day off...

Then I thought when I get home and cook tea and get my pjs on I am going to feel so guilty - what is half an hour for an evenings guilt free slobbing about? It worked even though I hated cardio recovery (I don't understand how they get their legs so far apart when they are stetching and look so lovely with clean lines? I looked like a little frightened crab scrabbling around)
  • Biglovelovesme
    Biglovelovesme Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I looked like a little frightened crab scrabbling around

Great visual!
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    To fight procrastination, you can break things down into smaller steps:

Night One: Pull out DVD and place near DVD player.
    Night Two: Put on sweats and hang out near DVD player.
    Night Three: Watch DVD with sweats on.
    Night Four: Try some of the moves on DVD.
    Night Five: Do 10 minutes of DVD, with all moves in that segment.
    Night Six: Do all 20 minutes of DVD, with all moves.
    Night Seven: Congratulate yourself for a job well done and invite hubby to join you. ;-)

Next week: Repeat steps 4-6 in first part of the week, then step 6 thereafter.
    Week after: Repeat step 6 all week.
    If hubby still hasn't joined you, ask him one more time the following week.

:-)

The above is written to be humorous, but don't feel too bad, so long as you are making progress. It takes a few weeks to be able to form a new habit, and then, upkeep is all that is necessary.
  • craig1768
    craig1768 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Take those old habits and throw them out. Don't turn on the TV to watch TV. Don't allow yourself to park on the couch before exercising. I always just eat something on the way home...and before I do anything at home, I go exercise... then I can laze around all evening and not have that guilty remorse hanging over my head.
  • spoiledwife12
    spoiledwife12 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Damn! My butt is sore from the kicking and I sooooo appreciate it. Each and every response said exactly what I need to hear. This right here is one of the many reasons I love MFP. If I had called one friend, or my sister or debated with my husband about what I should do tonight not one of them would have motivated me like you guys have. These are all people who love me and want to see me succeed but don't have the same type of investment as you guys do.
    Here's my plan;

1) I will put on my work out stuff
    2) I will DVR House Hunters
    3) I will weaken the ME by telling my excuses voice to "zip it"
    4) I will pick up, dust off and insert the DVD
    5) I will remind myself that this is less than a 1/2 hour of my evening
    6) I will NOT be a Wanna/Gonna/Never doer
    7) I will visualize having a backbone (one that my husband will be able to feel once the weight comes off)
    8) I will be tired, sweaty, alittle annoyed and probably still thinking of ways to get out of doing it, but I will be PROUD of myself
    9) I will let each of you kind people know how I did tomorrow.

:happy: :happy: :happy:

THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!!!!

I knew you could do it!!!