Ladies with PCOS, I have a question...

Options
I was diagnosed with PCOS some years back, I have lost only 27lbs since starting this journey on February 7,2011. Now I know slow and steady is the best way and I am fine with that, I eat healthy and do cardio and strength training. I just got a trainer and when I told her how much I lost she said I could of lost more. I just wanted to know if you all have been experiencing slow weight loss as well and is this due to the PCOS. I am not trying to loose a ton of weight at once, but I think if I had lost a little more like maybe 45lbs I would of been happy with that. I just wanted to hear from you ladies, how much have you lost and how long did it take you???

Replies

• ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I had a trainer for 8 months and only lost 30lbs in that time frame last year. I worked out 3 times a week with the trainer and 3 times a week on my own. Unfornuately with us, weight loss is slow!! I hate for you to get your hopes up and than find out that you are losing at the same pace. My trainer was floored and did not understand WHY i was not losing.. until he did the research and realized that's just how it is. My body did change though and that is what matters, I had more energy and I loved working out!

Have you had your thyroid checked? Often women with PCOS have a thyroid condition that slows weight loss.
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    A lot os PCOSers find it more difficult to lose weight.
    I was diagnosed about 6 years ago, and definitely have systems of it!
    However, I have lost 65 pounds total still - And 25 of those were in the last 2 months.
    Just eat your calories to lose 1 pound per week, and then try to workout 5 days a week, and you WILL see results!
  • agb17
    agb17 Posts: 10
    Options
    i was diagnosed last week with PCOS....my endocrinologist told me a weight loss plan for me would be a lower carb diet, not so much Adkins but try to stay between 30 - 40 carbs a day...he put me on Meformin & started the lower carb diet this week. good luck and feel free to add me
  • Melaniemarie86
    Melaniemarie86 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, and in a year, I lost 60lbs. Sure, I probably could have lost more, maybe, but having PCOS does affect the metabolism, so getting it up to speed can be difficult. Since PCOS has to do with being insulin resistant, I almost try to treat my body as if I were diabetic... cutting empty carbs, cutting fat and calories, and working out. You might still lose weight slower than others, but all of this should help. Oh, and don't forget to eat plenty of protein. :smile:
  • dorairwin
    Options
    Hello :flowerforyou:
    I have PCOS also and yes its harder to loose weight and take longer also . which is so sad . I have also experince slow weight loss also:cry:
  • nissa74
    Options
    It is very slow with PCOS. I've had PCOS for years and my struggles with weight loss haven't changed, no matter how I adjusted. I've realized that low carb really does work best. I wouldn't eliminate carbs altogether, because you would need to do it for life. But by cutting it down to less then about 60 or so a day should help. It's a stuggle for us with PCOS, but the exercise does us good overall. Keep up with the healthy eating and excercise. Good luck :).
  • brandygwen
    Options
    YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

I was also diagnosed with PCOS this year - April 4th to be exact. They had me fast and tested my blood sugar levels.

SInce then, i have only lost 15lbs - AND IT HAS BEEN AN UPHILL STRUGGLE. I wasn't losing anything for a while and so my doctor referred me to an endocrinologist. However, I didn't give up my diet/exercise and I've started to see a change.

Are you on any medication? Metformin?

You can get a lot of support from this group I joined on Facebook about PCOS. Just search for it on there. You'll get all kinds of great advice from women who know exactly what you're going through.

I wish you all the luck - and DO NOT GIVE UP. The longer it takes to shed, the more likely you will keep it off. It is all about long term changes, not a short term lifestyle. We may always struggle with our weight, but know that you're on the right track and you CAN do it :)
  • dorairwin
    Options
    Wow i didnt thought of that .. what are the signs of thyroid ?
  • dorairwin
    Options
    Somethimes it feel so sad that being diagnnosed with PCOS, weigth loss is slower , i thiink that swhy i work out so hard :sad:

How much carbs should we eat per a day ?
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2001. My weight has definitely fluctuated over the years. Gaining is much easier than losing. Could you have lost more weight? Possibly. Is your trainer familiar with PCOS, the symptoms & everything that goes along with it? So far what has worked for me is lowering my carb intake. As I've lost some of my symptoms have eased up. I am currently losing slower, but keeping at it.
  • dorairwin
    Options
    For me regards PCOS, I DODNT TAKE ANY medication, just birth control aleese , just if i want another child i might to .. My doctor told me if i want another child i will have to loose the wieght when i visit him last year i was 196 pounds i got serious and started to work out ect..

but my weightloss is slow .. but i am happy with my results so far since taht i join MFP, when i join MFP this year i was 180 lbs
  • TLW77
    TLW77 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, I was diagnosed about 10 years ago. I think every person loses weight differently with or without PCOS. I have heard of many people with PCOS say they had a hard time losing weight. I have been the opposite for the most part. I have lost 76 lbs since January, but now its is slow, slow going. Just hang in there. Try to focus more on the fact that you are getting yourself healthier and even though it may be slow, if you stick with it you will lose the weight! Good luck to you.
  • dorairwin
    Options
    But i do notice that being dignosed with PCOS, i gain weight so quickly so i have to stay active , allot exercise , plyus eating healthy
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    Options
    But i do notice that being dignosed with PCOS, i gain weight so quickly so i have to stay active , allot exercise , plyus eating healthy

I gained 15lbs in 2 months, and that was just when I stopped exercising. Even though I was eating right. It's a hard long journey that you just have to stick to.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    Options
    i was diagnosed last week with PCOS....my endocrinologist told me a weight loss plan for me would be a lower carb diet, not so much Adkins but try to stay between 30 - 40 carbs a day...he put me on Meformin & started the lower carb diet this week. good luck and feel free to add me

I keep my carbs at about a 100 give or take some days and I have done well.
  • proverbs31chick
    proverbs31chick Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your feedback guys, so there are some women that are still loosing a good amount even with PCOS. I'm glad to know were not alone, we can do this. But I have to say there is some frustrations sometimes.
  • agb17
    agb17 Posts: 10
    Options

I keep my carbs at about a 100 give or take some days and I have done well.

I was wondering about the 30 - 40...whew, that's a breath of fresh air!!! this is definitely a life changing deal for me....thanks for the tip
  • I was diagnosed with pcos when I was 14 in 2005. I was about 300lb then.
    I lost weight and got down to 145lb when I was 16 but I was literally starving (long story).
    When I was 17 I left home and I started working full time at 3 jobs instead of part time at one, so I didn't have time to exercise working first second and third shift 5 days a week each. In the last 2.5 years since then I've gained weight back to 275.
    Pcos makes everything hard including losing weight. Even when I cut way way back on anything and starting eating only fruits and veggies, I only lost about 0.5-1.0 pounds every week