Ready to Run..but I have a question

Options
For those who run and had/have a lot of weight to lose-how soon or at what weight did u start running?

Replies

• MellyPfromVT
    MellyPfromVT Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I've been running since my teens. Never below 165 pounds during this time and the heaviest I ran at was 225.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Start with the Couch to 5K program. It helps build your body up to get accustomed to the pounding of running.

I have heard of lots of people who started it with lots of weight to lose. Feel free to repeat weeks until you can complete the intervals easily.

Enjoy! You will love it!!
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    immediately lol. It'll seriously FALL off of you. I've seen it happen, and I have experienced it. Just make sure you WATCH YOUR INTAKE!!!!!
  • aunt_hbomb
    Options
    About 240. Down to 218 ish right now. Love running.

Have you heard of the C25K program? It is awesome if you are a beginner.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I changed my diet and got to a reasonable weight, still 'overweight', then finally added cardio.

When I REALLY plaeaued around 200-210lbs, I started trail running with a friend, for 3 months or so, and its the only thing that got me under the 200lb mark.

For reference, in my pic i was about 180lbs.
  • nikkischmitt79
    Options
    I agree on the Couch to 5K program. I'm in my final week of the program and I just signed up for my first 5K. It slowly got my endurance built up and now its easy. Good luck!!
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    I started running seriously on a regular basis this past July and my starting weight was 139 and am now down to 131. I run/job about 4 times a week
  • sangelic
    Options
    I'm starting Week 6 of Couch to 5K. When I started running I weighed around 230 and am down to 215 this week :happy:
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I started running around 160's (my highest weight was 180). I ALWAYS saw the best results for weight loss when I was running (which is why I am running again!). I didn't do the couch to 5k program, but I did my own thing which worked well. Now I am up to running for 45 minutes straight during my long runs (I am 150 now). However, I would recommend cross training with an elliptical, bike, or swimming to reduce overuse of muscles.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I couldn't run when I started here at 242 (5'7" female) because my knees KILLED me! So I walked and walked (and used the elliptical too) until I was at about 180lbs and then running was much easier. I did the C25K.

So if you try it earlier and you have pain or don't like it, try it again later. Now I LOVE LOVE to run and I NEVER thought I'd say that LOL.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I started Running at 230 lbs, Im down to 180. Try the couch to 5 k program and start the run intervals jogging about as slow as you can. you don't need to sprint them. that can come later if you want to improve your running time after you can run a full 5k.

good luck.
  • sloanrox
    sloanrox Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started running when I was 280. That was 3 years ago. I have since run up to 12 miles at 230-250. Here are a few tips I learned the hard way.

1) Start out with intervals. The running store group I started with runs 3 times a week, first week is run 1 minute, walk 2 minutes, repeat 8 times. The next week is run 1 walk 1, and each week you add a minute of running, always with 1 minute walk up to 10 minutes running. Its very gradual, each week is a new challenge, and by the end you will be able to run 3 or 4 miles in 30-45 minutes.

2) Warm up. Go for a brisk 3-5 minute walk before running. It helps. Running puts a pounding on your legs, warming up and then a few light stretches really do the trick.

3) Stretch afterward, and take it seriously. This is where I fell short. I never really took stretching seriously. In the last year I had a partial tear of my calf on one leg, and a complete tear of my achilles on the other. Neither happened during running but both were caused, in part, by a lack of flexibility/muscle tightness. Stretch, stretch, stretch!

Have fun. Running may seem difficult when you start, but it gets better. I didn't like it the first 3-4 weeks, then a light went off and I fell in love with it.
  • Jconner30
    Options
    1st, GET TO A RUNNING STORE and have someone watch you walk!!! If you pronate or supinate (feet curl out or in) they make shoes and inserts to compensate for that!

2nd, Spend some money on some GOOD running shoes! I am a neutral running and I love the Brooks Ghost 4's. I would recommend you go to http://www.runnersworld.com to see the runners shoe review. The shoes are voted on by avid runners - not people that can be bought off. Brooks, New Balance and Sauceny(spelling) are at the top of the list with avid runners.

3rd, open up an account on: http://www.mapmyrun.com -- you can create routes, log your time, and track your progress.

I was 285 in February. Started running at the end of March, and I plan to do an 18 mile run on Saturday. I am doing a full marathon on November 13th. If I can do the full marathon (26.2 miles) I will have went from couch potatoe to full marathon in 7 months!!! If *I* can do it, ANYONE can!!!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I started running when just watching my eating stopped working. That was enough to kick start me into loosing the next 10 lbs.
  • jernigan51
    Options
    I started out around 183 doing the Couch to 5k program and weighed in at 168 this morning! It was hard at first, and I have never been a runner in my life! I now love running! I'll finish my last day of the 9 week program tomorrow and am running in my first 5k on October 1! Good luck to you and keep up your hard work!
  • uniquesoul73
    uniquesoul73 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all for this great advice. My goal is to start Couch to 5k really soon. Thanks again!
  • bramel33
    Options
    I never used to like running, but I made myself start when I got up to 219 lbs. Just start slow and push yourself a little harder everday. When I first startedI didn't even last 5 minutes, and now I'm doing 30 minutes a day and I love it. It gets easier quick, especially when the weight starts coming off. Hopefully you will enjoy it too!