New here

Options
Hi. My name is Kimmie. I am new to this health app. I was on WW for a year. I lost about 30 lbs. I have managed to keep off most of the weight. I have been off of a plan for about three months. I thought that I could maintain on my own, but I actually would like to have some support. Also, I am a vegetarian. Overall, I am in pretty good health, just need to lose about 10 pounds. I just started back walking about five days a week. I am looking for some extra support and guidance along my health journey. Any advice would be helpful. Looking forward to meeting new friends during this journey.

Replies

• jkeej51
    jkeej51 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried light weights during ur walking? That may be helpful.
  • jkeej51
    jkeej51 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Have you I meant to say.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,414 Member
    Options
    jkeej51 wrote: »
    Haven't tried light weights during ur walking? That may be helpful.

What would be the use of small weights when walking? If you're talking ankle weights: they are very bad for your feet and can properly damage them. Holding weights is rather useless to be honest. Say you're 170lbs and walk 60 minutes at 3mph. Then you burn about 186 calories. Now you take 10lbs weights along. And hence the weight is 180lbs. Wow, now you burned 197 calories per hour. that's like 17 more, with the risk of injuring yourself. https://exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs (chose net calories)

TO: congratulations on your weight loss!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    You will burn more calories doing "Powerwalking". It just means that you change up your speed. Normal walk-5 min, medium fast-5 min, and as fast as you can or slow jog-5 min. Keep repeating. I do 40 min 4 times a week.

You can also try hilly terrain to up your burn.

Walking is so versatile. You can tailor it to your needs and level. It's great for starting if you've never exercised before.
  • MelBull2022
    MelBull2022 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You will burn more calories doing "Powerwalking". It just means that you change up your speed. Normal walk-5 min, medium fast-5 min, and as fast as you can or slow jog-5 min. Keep repeating. I do 40 min 4 times a week.

You can also try hilly terrain to up your burn.

Walking is so versatile. You can tailor it to your needs and level. It's great for starting if you've never exercised before.

I have also found walking at intermittent paces to be the most beneficial, and the weeks I actually get out or up to do them I have a far more significant weight loss. It's also not as hard on the joints and allows you to catch your breath again between power walks/jogs and walking.
  • autigersfan67
    autigersfan67 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for y’all’s advice. I will try using light weights.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    don't go too light - I would follow a proven weight training program for beginners -like Starting Strength - or Strong Curves - and continue to walk -