Not real fond of veggies

Options
as in not at all.... only eat green beans, peas and carrots

So any helpful hints?

Replies

• rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    what have you tried? how have you had it prepared? how do you like what you do like prepared?
  • allysabee
    Options
    I totally agree... I used to loove eating raw veggies! I'd pair them with hummus, tzaziki dip, raita, ranch dip, and then after a while I became sick of them and now I don't eat them as much. I love to take a bunch of broccoli, cauliflour, carrots, etc. and fry it up with some spices - that makes veggies a little more appealing to me! I'd love to hear some other ideas of making vegetables easier to incorporate into my diet....
  • prdough
    prdough Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Put veggies like spinach and other greens into a smoothie with fruit and yogurt. Can't even taste em then.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Eat them anyway. I don't consider peas a veggie, I consider them a starch (along with corn). It's like any food, quality and freshness matters (better quality better taste), seasonings help. I do like to put veggies in a food processor and pulse them down to a smaller size (not quite pureed to a liquid) and add that to recipes like meatloaf, really at that consistency it can be added to just aobut anything, it's an easy way to add the veggies without having chunks.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    If you really can't stand to eat them raw - puree them up and put them in your other prepared food. You can add fruit puree to breads, pancakes, etc. You can add the fruit and veggies to meatloaf, sauses, even cheese sauces. We do it at home all the time to add more servings to our kids diet.
  • PatasDeGallina
    PatasDeGallina Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Frank's redhot. :smile:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I got a non veggie eater to love brocolli by cooking it in the oven (high temp, do not remember off the top of my head, but at least 450. Anyhow, start by chopping up the head of brocolli and toss it in a drizzle of olive oil, about a teaspoon of minced garlic (from a jar is easiest), 1/4 tsp kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Put it on a baking sheet and put in the oven until it starts to get a little bit charred...delish!
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I got a non veggie eater to love brocolli by cooking it in the oven (high temp, do not remember off the top of my head, but at least 450. Anyhow, start by chopping up the head of brocolli and toss it in a drizzle of olive oil, about a teaspoon of minced garlic (from a jar is easiest), 1/4 tsp kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Put it on a baking sheet and put in the oven until it starts to get a little bit charred...delish!

I do this with fresh brussel sprouts, without the garlic - they caramelize. NOM.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I actually hate all veggies. I eat sugar snap peas and celery with the tiniest bit of ranch dressing, and will spray my salads with Wishbone Salad Spritzers. And I tend to put a ton of lettuce on sandwiches. Also, if I have a TV dinner I'll microwave some broccoli and stir it in right before eating, like if I'm doing a pasta or something that has gravy.
  • Ayndelady
    Options
    Everyone had great ideas! Preparation can be a big game changer. I don't care for brussel sprouts unless they are fresh and cooked crisp tender. Same with asparagus. I prefer tinned green beans over frozen. Start experimenting.

Another thing I would suggest is regardless of how you may dislike what is on your plate - when you sit down tell yourself "this is going to be delicious" . Sometimes attitude is everything!
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    i have always been more of a veggie fan than a fruit fan, but i used to do typical, canned green beans, peas, corn, carrots. raw carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower. I thought that was a pretty wide range. Boy was I wrong. luckily my husband used to be a chef and can make amazing food, but it started with baby steps. For example fresh green beans, used to think yuck, but he made them and would "overcook" them so they were really soft like my canned ones. then because i was watching my calories i would for example get chicken fajitas when we were out, i would only eat the chicken and veggies, at that time i wasn't a fan of peppers, but i could make myself eat them, so i did. these baby steps have now led to me liking just about everything, including things i previously wouldn't have touched, and loving all the fresh veggies, and loving them crispy and not mushy messes. Fresh green beans, snap peas, zucchini, squash, broccoli, cauliflower, lima beans, peppers-boy do i LOVE peppers, and on and on. My big step in the next week is im going to try brussel sprouts, and im excited about it! i cant believe how much i like all of these vegetables now. Honestly it all started with jsut slowly adding them in, even when i didnt really want to or when it wasnt the taste i was looking for, and now i am a veggie lover (and i used to think i always was). Just keep trying them, keep adding them, even if you only add a little bit at a time...when i was making the transition, i would for example have two or three pieces of sauteed squash and still have my canned peas, baby steps...your tate buds will eventually accept and love the new tastes.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a lot of differnet veggies? I used to think I hated all veggies until I branched out and tried different things.

Asparagus: 1 part olive oil, 1 part balsalmic vinegrette, 1 part lemon juice - toss all together - add some salt and some spices - bake at 350 for about 10 - 15 mins, stir, bake another 10 - 15 mins. Nummies!

Green beans: saute them with onions, peppers, garlic and basil (salt and pepper to taste)

Butternut squash soup - yummo!

Any kind of squash is great b/c it tastes like whatever you put on it.

Do you like spinach? I like to Saute it with a little hot pepper jelly and come crasins. The sweet and spicy goes great with the more bitter taste of spinach (swiss chard is also very similar to spinach)

You really have to experiment and try new veggies - try new recipes - try new spices.
  • ryanfeltz
    Options
    Thanks y'all... i guess one of my biggest things is green and crunchy I cant stand lettuce, so salads are out... celery uhgg... I like spinach ok so i think i will try some different stuff with that. I have started using the VeggieSmart marinara sauce by Prego its not bad so maybe i could add some to the meatloaf or something..... mmm store trip this afternoon
  • therealkittymao
    therealkittymao Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2008/11/the_best_brocco.html

This looks really good, I am going to give it a try. I also love roasting veggies. Just coat them with olive oil cooking sprak to keep calories down and then stick them in the oven at 450 until they are soft.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all... i guess one of my biggest things is green and crunchy I cant stand lettuce, so salads are out... celery uhgg... I like spinach ok so i think i will try some different stuff with that. I have started using the VeggieSmart marinara sauce by Prego its not bad so maybe i could add some to the meatloaf or something..... mmm store trip this afternoon
    I usually suggest that people check the produce section every time they go to the grocery store and try a new vegetable that's on sale (i.e. in season). Buy just enough for one meal. Try a taste of it raw (if it's something that should be eaten raw) and then steam it, bake it, or do anything else to it you like. If you like it, add it to your regular rotation of vegetables. If not, move on to the next one next week. If you like the flavor, but not the texture, buy it again and prepare it differently next time.

Our tastes change as we get older, so just because you didn't like something 10 years ago, doesn't mean you won't like it today. Texture is a big factor in why someone may like or not like something, so cooking it more or less, or via a different method (sauteing vs. steaming) might make a big difference in whether or not you like it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    as in not at all.... only eat green beans, peas and carrots

So any helpful hints?

My suggestion is try preparing them different ways. Different preparations can really change the taste of some vegetables. Some veggies I like steamed, others I can't stand steamed. Most non-leafy veggies I prefer roasted to any other way (tossed in olive oil and spices). Stir fries are good too. Puree them into a gravy or sauce. Make use of spices.
  • catlover98611
    catlover98611 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have found that success is sometimes more about what we THINK than what we DO. Ask yourself this: What am I able to do today to help achieve my goals??? In the big scheme of things, we all really only have a day at a time to deal with. Focus on what you WILL do; don't like crunchy lettuce, try something like red leaf lettuce or some of the fancy spring mixes that have a texture like spinach. Do it for today and think about tomorrow when it gets here.

Because of practice, I will eat asparagus, roasted squash, grilled zucchini, and some other things I used to hate. In reality, you don't have to like them, just eat them.
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Its strange you say you don't like green & crunchy so salads are out..well I'm the same..until I was given a baby leaf salad when eating out and I was 'pushed' to try it..and it was lovely..so I experimented & found that although I don't like standard green hard lettuce I do like the pink & red Italian Lollo rosso leaves, baby rocket leaves, baby red salad leaves etc...all mixed up with tomatoes, sweet peppers and an orage juice home made dressing..yum....its all about experimenting.
    Tomatoes and mushrooms with onions, garlic, parsley & zucchini gently stir fried...yum again...but give me zucchini on its own..yuk yuk yuk...oh and I nearly forgot add a handful of beansprouts & you have a huge very low calorie feast...
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    If you really can't tolerate them, what about hiding them in other foods? Start by using a cookbook like Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld.